City of Victoria looks to rein in horse-drawn carriages

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#501 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:33 AM

Victoria city council will bow out of the horse-drawn carriage ban debate, meaning any discussions of a phase-out have been discarded.

In council’s quarterly update, councillors considered preparing bylaw amendments to specify a maximum temperature of 28 degrees, banning travel down Oswego and Superior streets, and posting more signage along horse carriage routes.

Ultimately, however, council opted to receive the recommendations and do nothing at this time.

This motion was put forward by Coun. Jeremy Loveday, who succinctly commented “it’s time to move on.”

The motion passed six-to-two with Coun. Ben Isitt and Coun. Sharmarke Dubow opposed.

https://www.vicnews....wn-from-debate/

#502 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:04 AM

The motion passed six-to-two with Coun. Ben Isitt and Coun. Sharmarke Dubow opposed

BCF's - Best Comrades Forever.

#503 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 03:40 AM

$20,750 raised of $120,000 target

Help us keep our horses healthy during this difficult time

Our 18 magnificent draft horses are the heart of the Tally-Ho business and are family: they live with us and have been our daily partners through life. Our goal is to keep them stay home with us and their herd-mates, where they will continue to receive top-notch care. But after laying off all staff and cutting all non-essential costs, our small, family-run business is still facing a significant shortfall of over $120,000 to maintain quality horse care over the expected course of COVID.  Our savings will not cover the horsesˊ feed, foot care, veterinarian care, shelter and base needs for long. Only one of the Federal assistance programs applies to our situation and, if we qualify, it will only be enough to cover some non-horse care business expenses. 

https://ca.gofundme....h-of-our-horses

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 April 2020 - 03:41 AM.

• On the Level likes this

#504 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:11 PM

revised story:

original story:

section removed from revised story:

The Victoria Horse Alliance, a longstanding group opposing the carriages, is not pleased by Tally-Ho’s call out for help.

Founder Jordan Reichert called the fundraiser “unconscionable.”

“There are sanctuaries rescuing animals from abusive situations that need funds now more than ever.

Meanwhile, an over 100-year-old for-profit business that exploits animals for profit is opportunistically trying to exploit people’s love for animals during a crisis to line their own pockets,” he said in a news release. “Every business and every individual across Canada needs funds right now; donating to a horse carriage business should not be a priority during this difficult time.”

The alliance says it’s “willing to work with the carriage companies to find homes for the horses if they cannot afford them, but only if they agree to phase out and shut down their operations permanently.”

The horse carriage industry has been a source of controversy in Victoria for a number of years. In spring 2019 hundreds of people rallied outside City Hall after Coun. Ben Isitt motioned to phase out the carriages by 2023. Last month the City considered new restrictions but but ultimately decided to move on from the debate.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 April 2020 - 04:16 PM.

#505 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:39 PM

maybe instead of interviewing activists and those who are against the horse and carriage they should be talking to those who care for the horses, those who treat the horses, and those who work with the horses... i fully understand why they have put up the go fund me... they are a tourism business, they know there will be little to no tourism this year... i don't think many businesses out there could go an entire year with little to no income and still come out of it on the other end...  heck just look at beacon hill petting zoo... they are also asking for help to cover costs of minimal staffing and care for the animals

• Nparker likes this

#506 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:41 PM

I'm not sure a statement from Jordan Reichert is the same as backlash. That's some shoddy reporting. They could have called him up any day over the last ten years and gotten a statement about the carriages being "unconscionable," so I don't think the gofundme effort is the underlying issue. 

• Mike K. likes this

#507 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:47 PM

maybe instead of interviewing activists and those who are against the horse and carriage they should be talking to those who care for the horses, those who treat the horses, and those who work with the horses... i fully understand why they have put up the go fund me... they are a tourism business, they know there will be little to no tourism this year... i don't think many businesses out there could go an entire year with little to no income and still come out of it on the other end...  heck just look at beacon hill petting zoo... they are also asking for help to cover costs of minimal staffing and care for the animals

https://ca.gofundme....ildren039s-farm

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 April 2020 - 04:47 PM.

#508 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:48 PM

30k for goats? Just let them run wild in beacon hill park they can’t possibly do more damage than the tenters
  • Mike K., aastra, lanforod and 3 others like this

#509 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:35 PM

Took a walk down by the legislature today. The horses and carriages are  back. We noticed two guys with signs in support of them so we got to talking. It seems that every Saturday afternoon now some protesters are down there harassing the mostly young women carriage drivers, standing on the corner and shouting and shouting at them. These two guys were there to lend their support and document the harassment. They said, if this were an indoor work space, this definitely would not be allowed, so why is it allowed out-of-doors? We wished them good luck and said we supported them. They also said Jordan Reichart has a second Facebook page under an assumed name but this guy knew all his tricks! We'll try go back on another Saturday to see what's going on. Those nuts just won't give up.

• Nparker, rjag, jsan and 2 others like this

#510 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

They said, if this were an indoor work space, this definitely would not be allowed, so why is it allowed out-of-doors?

Excellent point.  I wonder if this is something WorkSafe should take up?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#511 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:45 PM

Perhaps the carriage drivers should arm themselves with some squirt bottles of bleach to ensure that any protesters that get too close are clean.

#512 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:07 PM

They said, if this were an indoor work space, this definitely would not be allowed, so why is it allowed out-of-doors? 

well i think you can protect outside any private property if you are on public property and not preventing people from entering.

#513 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:14 AM

While I fully support everyone’s right to peaceful protest, Reichert’s group is harassing staff and guests of the carriage industry.

The Victoria Horse Alliance protesters range in numbers from 10 to 14, and have vowed to protest the use of horse-drawn carriages in Victoria every Saturday throughout the summer.

From what I have seen, they are holding to this promise, with the exception of July 11, when it was raining. Apparently the horses don’t need to be defended if the weather isn’t nice.

Upon arrival at the carriage stands on Saturdays, the protesters spread out in order to surround the carriage staff: 14 protesters ignoring physical- distancing rules and interfering with six, young, primarily female staff just trying to take care of the horses and do their jobs.

Add to that a video camera that follows every move the staff make, all day; organized drive-bys of cars honking and yelling at staff and horses; cars following tours with their passengers yelling verbal accusations and threats at staff and guests; and showing videos of horses being slaughtered — which has no relevance to Victoria’s carriage industry — to guests and their young children.

Most recently, the Victoria Horse Alliance has included a very young child in the protests. The child is asked to hold a sign and ask people to not ride with the “horsies.”

https://www.timescol...t-ok-1.24175628

#514 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:56 AM

Yes, my daughter and I were down there one Saturday talking to the carriage drivers.. The protesters hadn't yet arrived but we thought we'd try go down another Saturday to see for ourselves and lend support to the carriages. Two fellows were there supporting them and were going to document the goings-on. That's terrible about the cars following, wow, and that kid with the sign can stuff it. I did a lot of horseback riding growing up and so did my daughter, so we're not totally ignorant of horsie things.

#515 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:12 AM

Carriage firms wasting taxpayer dollars

The Victoria Police Department has made it clear they are struggling with their allocated budget. Regardless of if you think they’re overfunded or under, it’s disgraceful that on multiple occasions the horse carriage companies that operate in Victoria have misleadingly and wrongfully called the police on peaceful protesters.

Every time they make false allegations and request police attendance, it takes them away from actual emergencies.

Every time the police have attended, the allegations have been proven false with police confirming nothing illegal is taking place.

The fact that the horse carriage companies think they have the right to waste police time, money and resources during these difficult times is disgraceful.

While the City of Victoria rents out several prime location parking spots on Menzies to them (worth an estimated extra $20,000 annually), these Saanich-owned businesses seem to have little regard or care for Victoria taxpayers.

Tony Aston
Victoria

#516 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:03 AM

Aren’t they Central Saanich-owned, and how did he deduce the City is losing $20k? Because I have been told by a rep from the City that that’s false.

With a fact record of that caliber what else are they misrepresenting?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#517 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:19 AM

Any evidence for this? Obviously he is a horse opposer.

Carriage firms wasting taxpayer dollars

The Victoria Police Department has made it clear they are struggling with their allocated budget. Regardless of if you think they’re overfunded or under, it’s disgraceful that on multiple occasions the horse carriage companies that operate in Victoria have misleadingly and wrongfully called the police on peaceful protesters.

Every time they make false allegations and request police attendance, it takes them away from actual emergencies.

Every time the police have attended, the allegations have been proven false with police confirming nothing illegal is taking place.

The fact that the horse carriage companies think they have the right to waste police time, money and resources during these difficult times is disgraceful.

While the City of Victoria rents out several prime location parking spots on Menzies to them (worth an estimated extra $20,000 annually), these Saanich-owned businesses seem to have little regard or care for Victoria taxpayers.

Tony Aston
Victoria

Edited by Klapecki, 25 July 2020 - 09:24 AM.

#518 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:45 AM

Who needs evidence when you've got hyperbole?

#519 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:11 AM

We're saying Vic PD resources are being stretched by the sheer number of calls related to the horse carriage companies?

Was this defense of the police department intended to be backhanded? It ends up coming across as a scathing indictment of the police department.

The following is an otherwise unrelated comment from another thread:

...I make fun of this but it's really not funny. Priorities are severely misplaced and because they're so misplaced Victorians are reaping many unfortunate (but very predictable) consequences.

#520 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:18 AM

Add to that a video camera that follows every move the staff make, all day; organized drive-bys of cars honking and yelling at staff and horses; cars following tours with their passengers yelling verbal accusations and threats at staff and guests;

I thought one of the issues re: urban carriage horses was their potential to be spooked and cause an accident, thereby injuring themselves or others?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users