Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
4833 replies to this topic

#4821 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:20 AM

If you are sad that you car gets chalked while someone with really little choice due to mental distress tries to shelter, I'm not going to be able to help with that one.

Exactly the selective enforcement of by-laws I'm talking about.

Enforce the "easy" by-laws that target working folks that are trying to shop downtown ... and don't enforce "hard" by-laws that bureaucrats and politicians choose to assign some sort of social construct to as an excuse to not enforce.

All by-laws hold equal weight, and all by-laws should be equally enforced.

But as you say, we're bound to disagree as you're advocating for your employer and fellow workers, and I'm advocating as a taxpayer, downtown worker and shopper, and driver.

Edited by Spy Black, 22 September 2021 - 09:33 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4822 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:36 AM

Exactly the selective enforcement of by-laws I'm talking about.

Enforce the "easy" by-laws that target working folks that are trying to shop downtown ... and don't enforce "hard" by-laws that bureaucrats and politicians choose to assign some sort of social construct to as an excuse to not enforce.

All by-laws hold equal weight, and all by-laws should be equally enforced.

But as you say, we're bound to disagree as you're advocating for your employer and fellow workers, and I'm advocating as a taxpayer (and driver).

Actually I'm advocating for the public who park, my employer and fellow workers don't come into my realm often, unless they are parking.  Parking bylaws and pricing are there to ensure turnover and so those can find parking. Your advocacy sounds like you want workers to park for free for as long as they need to in the public right of way as long as someone is in a tent?  Only vehicles parked in violation are 'targeted' I suppose if that's what you mean by that word.

When the pandemic was full on and downtown was really struggling we reduced rates and enforcement and slowly ramped both up as people returned downtown.  As of now these are the bylaws I am charged with, nothing to do with hard or easy.  Unfortunately my capacity is limited and mandated, and what you are asking for might be better in another forum...

Oh yes and I pay taxes too..

I will say this however, more people "get away" %-wise with parking bylaws than any other one, except for potentially idling violations.

#4823 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 20,103 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:22 AM

Don't get me started how stupid the idling bylaw is :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4824 LJ

LJ
  • 10,759 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:44 PM

If you own a newer car with the auto stop/start system, the first thing you learn is how to disable it.

• rjag, sebberry and Barrrister like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4825 FogPub

FogPub
  • 646 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:16 PM

Again your vehicle is marked when it is in compliance, it's not there because it's in anticipation of a crime.  When there is an anticipation of a violation, then a ticket is issued.

A ticket is issued when there's anticipation of a violation?

Shouldn't the ticket-issuer at least wait until a violation has in fact occurred?

#4826 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 20,103 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:53 AM

What about to heat/cool the passenger cabin?  I mean, the vehicle isn't moving, but it's not idling for no reason either.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4827 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 65,246 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:24 AM

You also have to idle to defrost/defog your windshield and windows on a cool day. No way around it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4828 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 20,103 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:46 AM

You also have to idle to defrost/defog your windshield and windows on a cool day. No way around it.

Grab a cloth!

#4829 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 25,479 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:07 AM

0DA63B85-6AF8-4069-B6FA-C19EEE71800A.jpeg
  • Matt R. likes this

#4830 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 11,687 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:19 AM

I have a question

What is the procedure now with paying for parking at the View Street Parkade if you don't have the parking app?

#4831 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,573 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:00 AM

I have a question

What is the procedure now with paying for parking at the View Street Parkade if you don't have the parking app?

You pay at one of the blue machines just like you do when you park on the street. I think there is one on each floor of the parkade.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4832 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 11,687 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:29 AM

That makes sense. Thanks for that.

#4833 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 65,246 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:57 AM

Grab a cloth!

That’s the fastest way to creating smear marks, that blind you during heavy rains. Don’t touch the inside of your windshield unless you’re cleaning it! :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4834 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 04:44 PM

Especially since their policies/designs seem to create the most idling possible.

• Nparker likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)