The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#5581 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

Footage has recently been released from an incident in Kentucky.

A cop pulls up to a home with social services behind him. A man walks out of the home brandishing a weapon. The cop pulls his weapon, orders the man to drop his, and cuffs him.

Then the situation is sorted, and it turns out the cop had the wrong home. He apologized, there was a cordial conversation and everyone went about their business.

But the home owner decided to go on a social media tirade which had been picked up by the media. He misrepresented the situation and the media ate it up.

So police released bodycam footage of the incident that showed the officer calmly and collectively handling the situation, and once all was cleared up apologizing to the individual.

Turns out what had happened was not quite as the man alleged in his social media posts and the media’s coverage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5582 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

Hillside is blocked between Belmont and I think Gosworth. I couldn’t see what was going on when I walked by.

#5583 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

Hillside is blocked between Belmont and I think Gosworth. I couldn’t see what was going on when I walked by.

Man stabbed to death.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5584 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

On the street?

#5585 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

http://victoriabuzz....-hillside-mall/

Victoria man stabbed to death near Hillside mall

I very casually know the victim.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 March 2018 - 12:31 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5586 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:34 PM

On the street?

I imagine a drive-by stabbing is technically possible.

#5587 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

Information is coming to light. The incident was not random violence, but the result of a fight between individuals who knew each other.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5588 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

The Times Colonist is reporting a pickup truck accident at Douglas & Yates, that's knocked down the street light at that intersection.

#5589 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Yup, medical emergency.

Photos: https://www.facebook...156249529824362

Know it all.

#5590 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:11 PM

How can we be sure the driver wasn't thinking about bike lanes?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5591 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

How original  :badpc:  Apparently anything in the municipality that goes wrong has to do with bike lanes (1,500 parking spots lost entirely due to bike lanes according to Facebook experts), according to a couple dozen idiots on Facebook that probably live in the Westshore anyways.  There are no bike lanes on Yates there by the way.

A much more relevant observation is that it is shocking no pedestrians were struck given that corner is usually PACKED with people but that's not as fetch as a meme with rainbow bike lanes and the mayor on a bad hair day.

• tedward, Kungsberg and Cats4Hire like this

#5592 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

does the Mayor have a good hair day?

• Bingo and Midnightly like this

#5593 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:21 PM

How can we be sure the driver wasn't thinking about (the lack of) giant puzzle pieces?

• aastra likes this

#5594 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

Even with the crash and the debris it still looked prettier than the puzzle.
  • Jackerbie likes this

#5595 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

Just because a driver runs off of the road and takes out a traffic light doesn't mean it is a medical emergency.

Usually when I do that I am thinking about getting rid of my car and getting a bike and a paper route.

Having a photo of your car on Facebook surrounded by yellow police tape is free advertising.if you are trying to sell.

• Mike K. likes this

#5596 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:34 PM

does the Mayor have a good hair day?

No she doesn't, but it's not relevant to her governing just like PMJT's hotness has nothing to do with his.

• Mike K., rjag, jonny and 1 other like this

#5597 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

When I see that vehicle on the sidewalk:

- How lucky no bystanders were killed or injured, by either the truck or the falling street lamp(s)....and that's what it is, just blind luck.

- I hope the driver is going to be ok. Anybody can have a medical emergency. Should't we have smart design to take that into account?

- No wonder people advocate for protected and/or separated bike lanes; a little painted line is not going to protect people from straying/distracted drivers, or as collateral damage from a vehicular accident. The potential for injury is so disproportionate, vehicle vs bike/pedestrian.

- What about bollards to protect sidewalk users, particularly at intersections, where statistics show accidents are most likely (we're all pedestrians at some point, even those who drive).  This is not an anti-car rant (bollards wouldn't affect road use)....this is just safety-by-design. The truck seems like it was stopped, eventually, by the street 'furniture' (light posts, bollards, info sign), but well into the pedestrian area.  Below is a picture of that intersection's pedestrian area. No protection whatsoever. 

There are all sorts of protective bollard designs, from ultra-modern appearance to historic.  They are very common now in Europe, where their adoption has been hastened by vehicles being used by terrorists to mow-down the 'soft target' (in more ways than one) of pedestrians. They're a good idea for mitigating 'curb-jumping' accidents too.

Here's just one of many news items.  New York introducing bill to protect pedestrians from curb-jumping cars   https://www.amny.com...uced-1.13740383

- Was HB standing right there to witness it? I guess we'll never know.

Photos from: https://www.vicnews....mmuter-traffic/ and the Times Colonist.

Attached Images

• douglas & yates.jpg

Edited by sebberry, 04 April 2018 - 02:55 PM.
Sorry, Kungsbery, had to remove the photos as they're copyright of the TC.

#5598 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:41 PM

Here are a few bollard installations - - tons more around the world.

Attached Images

• bollards.jpg
  • bollards2.jpg
  • bollards3.jpg
  • bollard4.jpg

• Awaiting Juno and nerka like this

#5599 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

^ Makes too much sense, we need a "made in Victoria" solution  ;)

• Kungsberg likes this

#5600 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:00 PM

In Victoria we only use bollards to stop one person every couple of years from intentionally driving on trails, not for the ridiculously far more likely accidentally driving onto curbs.

• VicHockeyFan, nerka and Kungsberg like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users