Paging Walter White & Jesse Pinkman.

• Rob Randall and Redd42 like this

#5983 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:06 PM

Dashcam captures woman being struck by a car on Shelbourne St (Graphic Video)

http://www.victoriab...-graphic-video/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5984 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:28 PM

SaanichPD says that the woman was crossing the intersection while the ‘no walk’ signal was on.

The video isn't that clear, but to me it appears the pedestrian was in the middle of the road when the signal changed from "walk" to "warning".

#5985 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:13 PM

The video isn't that clear, but to me it appears the pedestrian was in the middle of the road when the signal changed from "walk" to "warning".

Yup, I've watched it about 15 times.

The car in front of the camera car made a right onto Feltham, and as far as I can tell, that car turned after the pedestrian had started to cross, putting the pedestrian close to the middle of the road when the pedestrian control light changed to a flashing hand sign.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#5986 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:13 AM

The CAR was at fault. The Pedestrian was not Jay Walking.

The Driver should be ashamed of themselves for not paying attention to what what was directly in front of their vehicle.

#5987 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:44 AM

A water main break is affecting traffic around Uptown this morning.  Carey/Ravine and parts of the Goose are closed.  

Capture.JPG

#5988 soils guy

soils guy
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:39 AM

'Tis the season. As soon as the temp starts to fall, the water mains start to break.

#5989 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:38 AM

'Tis the season. As soon as the temp starts to fall, the water mains start to break.

That's what I don't get....isn't the ground a constant temperature all year round once you get down 3 or 4 feet?

That's what I've always been told. 

And that temp of course where the pipes lay and are buried is much warmer then the temp of the soil near the street level.

#5990 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

That's what I don't get....isn't the ground a constant temperature all year round once you get down 3 or 4 feet?

That's what I've always been told. 

And that temp of course where the pipes lay and are buried is much warmer then the temp of the soil near the street level.

The internets says 30 feet.  Pipes are definitely not that deep.

#5991 soils guy

soils guy
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:15 PM

Typical municipal water mains are often around +/- 5 ft deep. No need to go deeper as you are not relying on gravity flow.

As i understand it, from a past discussion with a City worker, it has more to do with the cooler temp of the water coming from the reservoir, rather than the temp of the ground surrounding the pipe. The water main next to the Wade broke around this time last year.

• Mike K. and todd like this

#5992 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:19 PM

As i understand it, from a past discussion with a City worker, it has more to do with the cooler temp of the water coming from the reservoir, rather than the temp of the ground surrounding the pipe. The water main next to the Wade broke around this time last year.

Extreme weather at either end of the scale can increase the frequency of water main breaks.

Extreme heat as well as extreme cold.

As might be expected, the City of Winnipeg has an abundance of data on the subject:

https://winnipeg.ca/.../mainbreaks.stm

To the question and answer about a constant temperature under the ground, the 30' reference only applies in temperate climates.

I give you Permafrost. Just a few feet down in Yukon and NWT, frozen solid for centuries, never changes.

#5993 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:07 AM

🔺 VicPD searching for cyclist who left scene of MVI in downtown Victoria 🔺

Officers are responding to an MVI on Gordon Street in downtown Victoria where a cyclist involved in the incident has left the scene. It is not immediately clear who was at fault or what the nature of the incident was.

Police are looking for a cyclist described as a white male approximately in his 40’s wearing a black helmet, a black toque, black tights, and riding a black road bike.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5994 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:44 AM

VicPD searching for cyclist who left scene of MVI in downtown Victoria

Did anyone get the cyclist's licence plate number?

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#5995 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

Sounds like the Johnny Cash of cycling.

• Mike K. and DustMagnet like this

#5996 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:58 AM

Did anyone get the cyclist's licence plate number?

You would have to go back to the 50's when Bikes in Victoria and Oak Bay actually had license plates.

#5997 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

You would have to go back to the 50's when Bikes in Victoria and Oak Bay actually had license plates.

Why did they stop?

#5998 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

Why did they stop?

Possibly because it was wasteful, time-consuming, counter-productive, unhealthy, discriminatory and expensive bylaw that was impossible to enforce. Other than that it was a great plan.

• Baro, Coreyburger, tedward and 1 other like this

#5999 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

Unhealthy?

#6000 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:45 PM

^It discouraged people, especially kids, from casually cycling.

It was a dumb bylaw because it gave no cops power to seize bicycles, only to give summonses. And no-one had ever been summonsed. It was basically used as a way to register bikes in case of theft and we already have a voluntary system in place for that today.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users