Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#6001 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

It was basically used as a way to register bikes in case of theft and we already have a voluntary system in place for that today.

In my teens I had my social insurance number etched into the frame but not much good that would be today because the bike is gone in 60 seconds and the number ground off and painted over and rebuilt within the hour.

#6002 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:53 PM

In my teens I had my social insurance number etched into the frame but not much good that would be today because the bike is gone in 60 seconds and the number ground off and painted over and rebuilt within the hour.

... after being used to do some identity theft against you, since most of the street folk are wired up with the smart phones and the borrowed-permanently laptops.

#6003 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:18 PM

Possibly because it was wasteful, time-consuming, counter-productive, unhealthy, discriminatory and expensive bylaw that was impossible to enforce. Other than that it was a great plan.

If you value your time vs effectiveness, you should stop trying to explain actual pros and cons regarding bikes and public policy here.
  • Coreyburger, Matt R., lanforod and 2 others like this

#6004 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:25 PM

If you value your time vs effectiveness, you should stop trying to explain actual pros and cons regarding bikes and public policy here.

Indeed

• lanforod likes this

#6005 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:50 PM

^It discouraged people, especially kids, from casually cycling.

It was a dumb bylaw because it gave no cops power to seize bicycles, only to give summonses. And no-one had ever been summonsed. It was basically used as a way to register bikes in case of theft and we already have a voluntary system in place for that today.

Well there's your problem.  They would have to update the bylaw to give police or any other designated official (e.g. bylaw officers, parking enforcement, sanitation engineers, etc.) the power to stop a cyclist and demand proof of registration (perhaps a wallet card).  No match?  Seized.  No plate?  Seized.  Configuration does not match description on file (available on VicPD app)?  Seized.

Seized, seized, seized.  Put a bounty on seized bikes, so that thieves are being actively chased through the streets.

#6006 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:13 AM

Well there's your problem.  They would have to update the bylaw to give police or any other designated official (e.g. bylaw officers, parking enforcement, sanitation engineers, etc.) the power to stop a cyclist and demand proof of registration (perhaps a wallet card).  No match?  Seized.  No plate?  Seized.  Configuration does not match description on file (available on VicPD app)?  Seized.

Seized, seized, seized.  Put a bounty on seized bikes, so that thieves are being actively chased through the streets.

Bikes not in good mechanical condition...seized. Bike paint colour not dry...seized. Bike overloaded with plastic bags of pop cans...seized. Improperly sized trailer...seized. Shopping carts attached to bike,the whole shebang...seized.  Second offence, bike put into the crusher.

• Matt R. likes this

#6007 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:02 AM

Bikes not in good mechanical condition...seized. Bike paint colour not dry...seized. Bike overloaded with plastic bags of pop cans...seized. Improperly sized trailer...seized. Shopping carts attached to bike,the whole shebang...seized.  Second offence, bike put into the crusher.

No oil on the chain? Seized.  Dirt in the hub bearings?  Seized.  Electrical storm in the brain?  Seized.

#6008 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:40 AM

West Saanich Road is closed south of McTavish for a First Nation funeral.

#6009 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

West Saanich Road is closed south of McTavish for a First Nation funeral.

Why would they hold a funeral on the road?  :rolleyes:

#6010 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

Why would they hold a funeral on the road?  :rolleyes:

Politics

#6011 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:40 PM

Sometimes this forum is like an endless Christmas dinner with everyone's awkward uncle.

• Coreyburger, sebberry, gstc84 and 5 others like this

#6012 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:03 PM

https://www.timescol...hild-1.23526276

What, is driving over kids in crosswalks a new Christmas tradition? :(

So what can be done?  The crosswalk already has the amber flashing lights (no word if they were operating at the time), does it need be be full pedestrian-controlled stoplight?  Speed bumps/humps on the road to slow the approach?

#6013 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:18 PM

Maybe dead end the street and add bike lanes on both sides? /s

I know tasteless but trying to prove an overall point.

This shite happens anywhere, Unfortunate as it is, not much could of fixed this because its an accident. We know what an accident is right? Or should we crucify the poor person that did this? Just l8ke we are not supposed to for the poor old person that drives into a Thrifty Foods?

Please don't politicize this tragedy
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6014 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:36 PM

Or should we crucify the poor person that did this? 

Yes. They left the scene they lose any sympathy from me. 

• Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and Mystic-Pizza like this

#6015 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:00 PM

^Funny thing about the everyone should be electrocuted for there crime mentality people... you just don't know what happened on the other end for them.

Just recently I was walking down a street in Victoria that for construction reason, I had to quickly move into a bike lane to protect myself. When I did my left elbow ended up getting smacked by a car that was moving by. She did not stop.

I decided, it was not a big deal because I took into consideration the entire situation. However, many people saw and HEARD what happened. I had to walk them away from the situation.

As I walked forward I caught up with a little old woman at a traffic light, literally afraid for her life, but her existence. She would not make eye contact with me.

I saw personally the fear of losing EVERYTHING in this womans eyes, even though I never saw her eyes.

My bruise healed... and maybe I was wrong, because maybe she ended up being the one to hit this young girl.

But our responsibility is not us it what our government is supposed to do.

Yet we keep complaining about the cost of doing that.

#6016 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:45 AM

Maybe dead end the street and add bike lanes on both sides? /s

I know tasteless but trying to prove an overall point.

This shite happens anywhere, Unfortunate as it is, not much could of fixed this because its an accident. We know what an accident is right? Or should we crucify the poor person that did this? Just l8ke we are not supposed to for the poor old person that drives into a Thrifty Foods?

Please don't politicize this tragedy

I don't think the driver accidentally left the scene.  Or maybe they did?  I suppose they might not have noticed they hit a pedestrian.

I disagree that "not much could of fixed this".  It's because accidents can happen that we try to engineer to mitigate.

#6017 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:50 AM

As I walked forward I caught up with a little old woman at a traffic light, literally afraid for her life, but her existence. She would not make eye contact with me.

I saw personally the fear of losing EVERYTHING in this womans eyes, even though I never saw her eyes.

My bruise healed... and maybe I was wrong, because maybe she ended up being the one to hit this young girl.

Is this some sort of justification for leaving the scene?  It's OK to run away because you're scared of the consequences of your actions?

• Awaiting Juno and Cats4Hire like this

#6018 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:34 PM

No its not a justification. It is an understanding of why someone may do something. Right or wrong, we don't know what's going on for that person.

#6019 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:42 PM

No its not a justification. It is an understanding of why someone may do something. Right or wrong, we don't know what's going on for that person.

She was worried that it might come down to two scenarios, getting her face punched in or best case her license is taken away for being too old. Both are unlikely to happen to us right now so easy for us to say.

#6020 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:10 PM

Maybe she was worried he was about to drop his trousers and fling poop - a legitimate concern as has been demonstrated.

But seriously, I think it's justified to take a dim view of leaving the scene regardless of the fact we don't know what's "going on" for that person.

And to get back to it, you really can mitigate the likelihood of an accident through road design.  Of course, one child run over per year doesn't really loosen the purse strings much I suppose.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users