The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#6161 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:54 PM

Farnworth is too busy looking into the Elsner/Helps/Desjardins conspiracy/coverup/scandal.
  • sebberry likes this

#6162 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:22 PM

Stop tailgating, people!

This! Along with folks continuing to turn left long after the light has turned red, tailgating seems to now be the common thing to do. I drove out to Butchart last night on West Saanich Rd. Both directions I had some one riding my butt. I used to commute that route and many times have had deer dash in front of my car. Makes me so nervous when people do this. 

#6163 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:26 PM

How could this have happened?

Investigation Continues After Serious Weekend Collision

Victoria, BC- Officers from our Patrol and Traffic Sections continue their investigation into a serious collision yesterday afternoon.

Just before 1:00 p.m., Patrol Officers were called to the area of Oswego and Belleville Streets for the report of a collision between a vehicle and a cyclist.

The initial investigation has revealed that a man was towing a vehicle that had broken down. The broken down vehicle was being towed by another vehicle utilizing a tow strap. The cyclist struck the tow strap as they cycled westbound on Belleville Street. The cyclist was transported to hospital with potentially life threatening injuries. The Collision Reconstruction Team was called out and traffic was diverted for some time while evidence was collected.

The driver of the vehicle remained on scene and is cooperative with investigators.

If anybody witnessed the collision and have not spoken to officers, call us at 250-995-7654.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6164 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:52 PM

Isn't a tow strap at least 20 feet long? 

That's a special pair of idiots.

#6165 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:02 PM

I'm thinking the morons were turning right onto Belleville to the Coho terminal. I bet they were trying to get a disabled car onto the ferry back to Washington. Why else would you be attempting that on Belleville?

#6166 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,996 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:03 PM

15 to 30 feet maybe depending on type.  surely it's not legal to tow around another vehicle.  wow.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 August 2019 - 03:03 PM.

#6167 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

Here are the two vehicles in question with the tow strap between them.

4qrf7qgh5bh31.jpg

#6168 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,996 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:23 PM

oh boy.  did somebody rent a car to pull their truck up?  and if so why oh why did the person/people at the coho or clipper terminal not tell them that was a real bad idea?  it's certainly easy to understand how a bike with a bit of speed could rally be impacted by hitting that cable he could not see.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 August 2019 - 03:25 PM.

#6169 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:29 PM

Essentially the only time this tow setup is legal in BC is to pull a vehicle out of the ditch/mud/etc. Never legal to tow someone down a busy street in this fashion.

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#6170 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

^ Methinks that's a Budget sticker, not National

• shoeflack likes this

#6171 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,996 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

you might be right on the sticker.

#6172 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,996 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

Essentially the only time this tow setup is legal in BC is to pull a vehicle out of the ditch/mud/etc. Never legal to tow someone down a busy street in this fashion.

it's also not an easy/safe/undamaging operation for either driver.  especially one that's driving an unfamiliar rental and one that's probably never ever been dead-towed before. 

what a catastrophe.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 August 2019 - 03:36 PM.

• todd likes this

#6173 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

Do we know if the cyclist was wearing a helmet? By the looks of it he/she would have flipped once getting caught up in the tow strap, crashing head first onto the pavement.

The plate on the SUV looks like it's from Washington, but it's hard to tell.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6174 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

Do we know if the cyclist was wearing a helmet? By the looks of it he/she would have flipped once getting caught up in the tow strap, crashing head first onto the pavement.

The plate on the SUV looks like it's from Washington, but it's hard to tell.

BC plate on the SUV, Washington plate on the truck. Driver came over on the Coho and truck died. Driver then rented an SUV to tow it. I can’t imagine a last minute rental car was much cheaper than an actual tow.

Edited by shoeflack, 19 August 2019 - 05:13 PM.

#6175 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,996 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:34 PM

the whole thing is tragic and sad.  again what adult in the terminal parking area where they hooked it up knew this was happening?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 August 2019 - 05:38 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#6176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

BC plate on the SUV, Washington plate on the truck. Driver came over on the Coho and truck died. Driver then rented an SUV to tow it. I can’t imagine a last minute rental car was much cheaper than an actual tow.

Not to be pedantic, but there is no truck in that photo. It’s a Chevy SUV that’s being towed (either a Suburban or an extended Tahoe).

And judging by the lifted chassis that vehicle has seen the better side of the outdoors, and likely why the driver would have been very comfortable towing it in that fashion, but he didn’t think this through very well.

He also rented a crossover that was not rated for towing a Chevy Suburban, for gosh sake. Those little crossovers will tow your garden refuse to the dump, and that’s about it unless you have the towing package and even then a full size SUV with even one occupant and partially loaded would far, far exceed such a small vehicle’s towing capacity.

Know it all.

#6177 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:19 PM

A Buick Enclave (the white car) is rated to tow 1,500 pounds. A bone stock, bone dry Suburban of that vintage weighs 5,500 pounds. If it has the towing package (and it’s doubtful a rental would, but it “might”) the towing capacity goes up to 5,000 pounds.

That driver messed up in a big way.

Know it all.

#6178 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

The apparent fact the driver had a tow strap with him would indicate he has probably had trouble before.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6179 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:51 PM

Not to be pedantic, but there is no truck in that photo.

Sure, a crummy sidewalk design is no big deal, but this you have to bust my balls over :P

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Always another level of complexity dealing with a (presumably) foreign national. Hope the cyclist pulls through. From some witness descriptions online, sounds like the gentleman went under the vehicle and was pinned.

#6180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:46 AM

Oh my :( That’s awful. I had not heard that detail.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users