Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7130 replies to this topic

#6761 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 09:01 AM

That's 3 more cops than there should be. I am done with my tax dollars being spent to keep protestors safe, while I have to dodge unpredictable junkies and crazies every time I step foot outside.

#6762 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 09:02 AM

They must be night shift workers in order to have their mornings free.

#6763 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 09:14 AM

They must be night shift workers in order to have their mornings free.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Barrrister likes this

#6764 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:51 AM

Seven protestors have been arrested for mischief and the road has reopened.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6765 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 07:59 PM

I don't understand the time delay, send the wagons out and scoop them up immediately.

That way they would have minimal impact and might stop with the idiotic protesting.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6766 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:20 AM

What to do if you witness a bad traffic crash
  • Times Colonist
  • 14 Jan 2022
  • JOHN DUCKER

The dashcam footage from Blanshard and Bay of a pedestrian being struck by a car back on Dec. 30th is a shocker. It’s one thing to hear or read about these terrible moments, it’s another thing to see it up close and for real on video. The unambiguousness of videos like this surely means they will become standard equipment on all new vehicles in the near future.

But despite their growing popularity and other advances in automobile tech such as GPS tracking and black box readouts, there will always be a need for effective citizen witnesses to traffic incidents.

Have you ever thought about it? What do I do when a motor vehicle catastrophe happens right in front of me? As a good citizen and driver, your response can be vital. Here are some basics:

Morehttps://www.timescol...ccident-4952045

#6767 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 05:10 AM

How to avoid sparking rage on the road
  • Times Colonist
  • 21 Jan 2022
  • JOHN DUCKER johntcdriving@gmail.com

DARREN STONE, TIMES COLONIST

Road rage is a spectre of modern day driving. Its shadow can make us both a perpetrator or a victim, depending on the day. We’re all human, so there’s no escaping its pall. But as good drivers and better citizens, it’s our job to limit road rage incidents down to negligibility.

Road rage can lead to motor vehicle or criminal charges, civil suits, injury, even death or worst of all, everlasting Youtube infamy.

Why does it happen? I’m not qualified to discuss the psychology, but as a layman who’s been driving for 40-plus years, here’s my take.

Anonymity: How different would the social media world be if right after you pushed “enter” your name, address and phone number popped up inside that post? Facebook would have gone out of business 10 years ago. Inside a car people feel the same way. They’re responding to the actions of someone they’ll probably never see again. That belief in being unrecognizable emboldens actions like honking, fingering or yelling.

Displaced anger: Many people out there are just angry to begin with. They’ve lost a loved one or a job, had a domestic dispute, are being bullied, they’re drunk or sobering up. Basically there’s a chip on the shoulder, sometimes a permanent one. Your driving action is the spark causing them to blow.

Entitlement: “I’m the best driver on the road. Just ask me.” People see other’s mistakes on the road as idiocy or incompetence, made by a lesser driver, well below their own standards. They may also falsely perceive inadvertent acts as intentional ones. Some entitled drivers suffer from the very dangerous illusion that aggressive retaliation driving on their part puts them back in control. Aggression, coupled with the illusion of re-attaining control, causes loss of judgment, loss of overall road perception and loss of cognition. It becomes one of the most dangerous situations we can face on the road.

So how do we avoid being the spark that sets off road rage behaviour?

Morehttps://www.timescol...ncident-4977740

#6768 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:30 AM

Driver trapped in truck after hitting power pole
  • Times Colonist
  • 25 Jan 2022
  •  
  • pole.png

The base of a utility pole was sheared off when it was struck by a pickup on Burnside Road West on Sunday. The driver was trapped inside by the active wires, but did not appear to be seriously injured, Saanich police said.

Saanich police say a suspected impaired driver was lucky to walk away without serious injuries Sunday after his truck struck a utility pole, which then landed on the vehicle’s windshield.

Wires were stretched across the vehicle when police arrived to Burnside Road West just after 4:20 p.m.

The driver was trapped inside the truck and it took Saanich firefighters close to two hours to free him.

Burnside between Marigold Road and Wilkinson Road was closed while they worked.

Several of the wires attached to the pole carried thousands of volts of electricity, police said.

The driver failed a roadside breath test, was given a 90-day driving prohibition and the truck was impounded.

The road was reopened as of 7:45 p.m.

#6769 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:01 AM

Coast Guard, Ahousaht rescue passengers after water taxi hits rocks

Four people were sent to hospital with serious injuries after a Tofino water taxi hit rocks in foggy conditions on Tuesday. The vessel was headed to Flores Island and the Ahousaht First Nation when the crash occurred off Catface Mountain.

boat.png

Four people were sent to hospital with serious injuries after a Tofino water taxi hit rocks in foggy conditions on Tuesday.

The vessel was headed to Flores Island and the Ahousaht First Nation when the crash occured off Catface Mountain.

Paul Nixon, officer in charge of Tofino’s Canadian Coast Guard station, said the male driver of the taxi and three female passengers suffered “significant injuries,” including “multiple broken bones.” Another passenger was treated at the scene for cuts and bruises. A total of six people were on board.

“The injured were triaged on site, given first aid and transported to docks,” Nixon said. An ambulance took the injured from Tofino’s First Street dock to Tofino Hospital. They were later transported to Victoria General Hospital.

B.C. Emergency Health Services said two of the injured were in serious condition Tuesday afternoon, and the other two were in stable condition.

#6770 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:21 AM

Fight speeding with tech? It’s complicated

* Times Colonist
    * 28 Jan 2022
    * JOHN DUCKER

One of the biggest complaints readers make is about speeding. I share those concerns. A year or so ago, I was heading north in the right lane on the Trans-Canada near the Sooke exit in Langford around 11 a.m. when when a car passed me on the right, using the shoulder, doing about 170 to 180 km/h.

It was a grey tricked out Cadillac. That’s about all I could tell you. Still on the shoulder, it passed a line of traffic and disappeared toward the Malahat. No chance of catching the plate number or describing the driver.

I expected to see a calamity further up the road, but somehow the Caddy made it through unscathed. A miracle.

I recalled that incident when a friend called a few weeks ago about speeding issues. He recounted the days travelling in the family Oldsmobile. It was equipped with what we would today call a “progress bar” in the dash. The bar would move and change colour, from green to yellow to red, as vehicle speed increased. He felt this was an effective warning feature that enhanced driving safety.

This led to more discussion about why speed governors aren’t standard vehicle equipment. Very good question.

But, like most issues around automotive safety, it’s complicated.

#6771 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:31 AM

Mill Bay woman tells how she rescued driver of dump truck that plunged into ocean

The driver of the truck lost control on Frayne Road, crossing Mill Bay Road, plunging down an embankment and landing upside down in the ocean.

mill.png
A dump truck landed upside down in the water off Mill Bay after the driver lost control on Frayne Road on Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2022. 

A Mill Bay woman described Thursday how she rescued a truck driver whose vehicle ended up upside-down in eight feet of water after its brakes failed on a steep hill.

fox.png
Lisa Maria Fox

Lisa Maria Fox was at home about 11:45 a.m Wednesday when she heard a very loud crash. When she rushed to the deck of her house, which overlooks Saanich Inlet, she saw a brown circle in the water, indicating that something big had gone in.

The brakes of a loaded tandem-axle truck had failed as it descended Frayne Road. The truck had gained speed as it barreled down the road and went through the intersection with Mill Bay Road before smashing through a concrete barrier and down a 50-foot embankment, coming to rest about 300 feet from the shore.

When she scrambled down to the beach to get a better look at what had happened, Fox saw two large wheels sticking out of the water. Then she heard screams from the driver, a woman who looked like she was in her 30s.

#6772 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:52 AM

That’s a great story!
  • Matt R. likes this

#6773 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:16 AM

Wonder if the city is about to go ahead with an overnight street parking permit program? Hear they are considering a hundred a month. This would certainly be welcome revenue in the millions.

#6774 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:20 AM

Like park in your camper and live downtown? I’d be OK with that at $300 or more per month. That’s more comparable to private lots. Although still much cheaper than campgrounds.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 January 2022 - 09:21 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#6775 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 January 2022 - 01:46 PM

Fight speeding with tech? It’s complicated

* Times Colonist
    * 28 Jan 2022
    * JOHN DUCKER

One of the biggest complaints readers make is about speeding. I share those concerns. A year or so ago, I was heading north in the right lane on the Trans-Canada near the Sooke exit in Langford around 11 a.m. when when a car passed me on the right, using the shoulder, doing about 170 to 180 km/h.

It was a grey tricked out Cadillac. That’s about all I could tell you. Still on the shoulder, it passed a line of traffic and disappeared toward the Malahat. No chance of catching the plate number or describing the driver.

I expected to see a calamity further up the road, but somehow the Caddy made it through unscathed. A miracle.

I recalled that incident when a friend called a few weeks ago about speeding issues. He recounted the days travelling in the family Oldsmobile. It was equipped with what we would today call a “progress bar” in the dash. The bar would move and change colour, from green to yellow to red, as vehicle speed increased. He felt this was an effective warning feature that enhanced driving safety.

This led to more discussion about why speed governors aren’t standard vehicle equipment. Very good question.

But, like most issues around automotive safety, it’s complicated.

I finally turned off the speeding warning in my vehicle. I believe it uses geographic data, and too often it was warning, beeping, buzzing me for speeding in areas where the posted speed limit was clearly different from whatever the vehicle thought it was supposed to be. 

Not a true governer but a way to tell me if i'm just going too fast (I think it triggered at 20 kph over the limit).

#6776 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 02:04 PM

It’s using mapping data and your GPS, it sounds like? Maps have speed limits coded in. You’ll need to update your map to line up with the real-world limit (hopefully, if it’s been caught in the latest update).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6777 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 04:10 PM

Speaking of this, it reminds me of how e-bikes and e-scooters have speed limiters when you go through certain areas, based on GPS data. How about putting this capability in cars? Cars can only travel up to the speed limit on the road they're travelling on, using the cars GPS and local traffic laws? I'd definitely be in favour of this.

• Victoria Watcher and freedom_2008 like this

#6778 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 07:42 PM

Speaking of this, it reminds me of how e-bikes and e-scooters have speed limiters when you go through certain areas, based on GPS data. How about putting this capability in cars? Cars can only travel up to the speed limit on the road they're travelling on, using the cars GPS and local traffic laws? I'd definitely be in favour of this.

I would definitely not be in favour of that. It would mean I would have to drive at some ridiculous artificially low speed limit around Victoria, no thanks.

• FogPub and Fox like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6779 Fox

Fox
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 07:50 PM

Not to mention not being able to accelerate to merge or avoid a collision.

#6780 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:19 PM

I would definitely not be in favour of that. It would mean I would have to drive at some ridiculous artificially low speed limit around Victoria, no thanks.

So you consistently speed around town?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users