* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#3121 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

Selling liquor in grocery stores and corner store was a failure so Government still has control

It was a failure because the rules the province they tried to enact were insane (no two stores within 1km of each other, couldn't sell liquor and food at the same registers, liquor has to be separated into an entirely separate section, etc.).

#3122 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

Sitka Surfboard Corp. hits rough waters

Cash-strapped Sitka Surfboard Corp., a downtown surf and clothing retailer, will be asking creditors to permit it to draw up a proposal aimed at tackling debt and allowing the company to survive.

Sitka’s total debt is $3.5 million to secured and unsecured creditors, according to Abakhan and Associates, trustee for the Victoria company.

Secured creditors are owed $2.9 million, unsecured creditors are owed $517,329, and shareholder loans total $496,256, the trustee’s office said. As well, company shareholders have invested $8.8 million in equity.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.9hGJylL8.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3123 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

Sitka grew too big for its own good. Having a surf shop in an inner city location where rent are huge was not a great business idea. the closest good surf is at least 1.5 hours away. If they had opened up shop in a surf town such as tofino where rich people come from around the world and where people actually surf they would not be in the boat they are now.there shop on Yates street had a cafe, they sold fly fishing gear and other non surfing stuff.,Bad business moves shoudl have stayed small and local and focused on what you were good at.

#3124 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

In the spirit of covering the FULL retail landscape, I noticed that Source Adult Video on Bay has closed - their 24 hour "Open" sign has gone forever dim.  :ph34r:

Here is an entertaining blog post entitled "It Happened To Me: I Worked Graveyard at a Sex Store" from someone who used to work at Source: http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/working-at-a-sex-store

• Rob Randall, sebberry and lanforod like this

#3125 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:24 PM

In the spirit of covering the FULL retail landscape, I noticed that Source Adult Video on Bay has closed - their 24 hour "Open" sign has gone forever dim.  :ph34r:

What was it like inside Gary I never looked in only saw the store from the Wendys Drive Thru

#3126 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

I "imagine" it's similar to this adult novelty store on Douglas, remember the one that had the Google walk-through?  :P

https://www.google.c...!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Edited by Gary H, 06 December 2015 - 11:23 PM.

#3127 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:55 AM

It was a failure because the rules the province they tried to enact were insane (no two stores within 1km of each other, couldn't sell liquor and food at the same registers, liquor has to be separated into an entirely separate section, etc.).

Gorocery stores in Quebec have been successfully selling beer, wine and cider forever with no probs. BC has dumb, complicated booze laws devised by dumb people.
  • Matt R. likes this

#3128 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

^But the selection sucks and sales to minors is not enforced properly.

• HB likes this

#3129 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

And amazingly there is not an alcohol problem among Quebec youth any more than anywhere else.  Nor on campuses, where they can consume at 18, vs. US where you can't legally drink until 21.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3130 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

Beer selection is fine, plenty of craft brews available. The wine choices are good enough that you can nab something drinkable to take to the BYO resto. Plus, you can run out and get another bottle if you guzzle the first one with the appys.
One thing I like is that they did not allow supermarkets to sell beer, they figured the mom & pop stores needed something to help them out against big chains.

#3131 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:16 PM

One thing I like is that they did not allow supermarkets to sell beer, they figured the mom & pop stores needed something to help them out against big chains.

Last time I was there I bought beer in a big chain grocery store.

#3132 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

Last time I was there I bought beer in a big chain grocery store.

Moi aussi. This is fairly recent though. My dad used to send me with my coaster wagon to buy beer when I was 8-9 years old, pas de probleme! Handy also when we were 16 and wanted to get drunk out behind the mall.

#3133 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

Victoria - top searches on UsedVictoria

It’s clear from this top ten that Victorians simply want to drive home, lounge on comfy furniture by the fire and search Used.ca on their Apple products! As always, IKEA holds rank as the top search which makes us continue to wonder: will the island ever get its own?!

1. IKEA
  2. Jeep
  3. iPhone
  4. Firewood
  5. Couch
  6. Dresser
  7. Chair
  8. iPad
  9. Nikon
  10. BMW

http://www.used.ca/topsearchesof2015/

• nagel likes this

#3134 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:20 AM

Pic-a-Flic has changed hands. Original owner Tom sold it several years ago to long-time employee Rob, who has now sold it to long-time employee Kent. Incidentally, the store's website has a nice photo of what the location looked like in the 1940s.

http://picaflic.net/

#3135 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:21 AM

In the 40s it was probably beta though.

#3136 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

Why would anyone buy a sinking ship?

#3137 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

Why would anyone buy a sinking ship?

Maybe the price was right?

#3138 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

I don't think I would take it for a dollar.

#3139 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:52 AM

I don't know this business's financial situation – nor do any of you – but whenever I've gone inside, there have been plenty of customers.

#3140 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

I was going to say...

Pic A Flic takes a different approach than Rogers & BlockBuster did.  They're a cornerstone of that community and I'm sure the numbers make sense otherwise Kent wouldn't have bought it.

• Nparker and Benezet like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users