* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4801 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:59 AM

Shoplifting in stores around that area have seen a huge spike in thefts since the Super 8 motel opened. Lifestyles Market and the dollar store have been hit really hard. Several friends now avoid the Pier 1 in town and drive the 15 minutes to the Langford shop due to feeling unsafe with unsavoury types hanging around the area. I personally don't go to Lifestyles Market anymore due to being hassled by a few sketchy gentlemen on more than 1 occasion. 

Do you have statistical evidence for this, or are you basing it on anecdotes?

• Coreyburger, gstc84 and SgtNeonPanda like this

#4802 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

I guess the best thing to do is to ask the source.
Dollar Ramma management volunteered this info and the trouble they’ve had since
super 8 changed .
The staff there are frustrated .
I’d never thought much about it until it was pointed out to me .

#4803 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

Sorry, fresh out of statistical evidence. I am relying on first hand information given to me by employees at a few different stores in the area. I can't imagine that the staff members that I was chatting with would go out of their way to about shoplifting rates. 

#4804 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

I am guessing most is anecdotal but there is no doubt that there are many more security guards now working at Uptown due to the camping across the street. 

• Midnightly likes this

#4805 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:11 AM

Wal-Mart added more Cameras and said it was because of an increase in shoplifting.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4806 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

North Park Bicycle has now closed its Quadra Street location and signs in the windows are directing customers to their new Cook Street location. It appears they also wish to sub-let the Quadra space.

#4807 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

I am sure that the uptown campers appreciate that Starbucks has opened its washrooms and tables to them.

#4808 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

I am sure that the uptown campers appreciate that Starbucks has opened its washrooms and tables to them.

Ugh, just what Starbucks needs - campers all over the place, taking all the outlets, Macbooks everywhere...

#4809 SgtNeonPanda

SgtNeonPanda
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

Wal-Mart added more Cameras and said it was because of an increase in shoplifting.

i saw a guy getting arrested directly outside Wal Mart last night.

#4810 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:46 PM

This is the Mount Douglas Apartments (which of course is nowhere near Mt. Doug, it's at the Fort St. Junction). You know it better as the Sound Hounds building. The Railhead store is in the old Figaro Barber unit, in fact, their sign is still there.

Hello to all the fans of the Railhead. This is a much needed update on the status of the Railhead. Unfortunately we have hit the proverbial fly in the ointment...big surprise as things with the Railhead never seem to go to plan!!! So it is with great sadness that after 10 and a half years I have to inform everyone that as of now the Railhead's store front is closed immediately and permanently at the 1524 Pandora location. This was not our choice but was forced on us by the owner of the building in which we were located.

Sounds Hounds which was in that same building like forever has also moved out, a few doors east. 

But the building can't be up for imminent development as there are big for lease signs in the windows of all the now vacant space. Perhaps the owner got $$$ in their eyes about what they could rent those spaces for?

The Stadacona building across the street has numerous vacancies for that reason. The landlord wanted to increase the rent more than the tenants wanted or could pay. Feels like Karma to see the For Lease signs in those spaces, months after the long term tenant left.

• GaryRanson likes this

#4811 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

Sounds Hounds which was in that same building like forever has also moved out, a few doors east. 

But the building can't be up for imminent development as there are big for lease signs in the windows of all the now vacant space. Perhaps the owner got $$$ in their eyes about what they could rent those spaces for?

That building needs a renovation.

Edited by todd, 25 June 2018 - 02:20 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#4812 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

Trains and Pandora Avenue just can't catch a break, can they?

I'm a big rail head.

#4813 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

That building needs a renovation.

Agreed. It could be stellar if someone were willing to invest the money.

e32ed72951a02feba26de9ef6f22421d.jpg

• todd likes this

#4814 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:07 PM

Passing through the Hudson Market this afternoon, I noticed that the front corner where the cheese retailer used to be is fenced off. I further noticed what looked like some serious coffee-making and -serving equipment on the still-in-place countertop.

• Mike K. likes this

#4815 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

Passing through the Hudson Market this afternoon, I noticed that the front corner where the cheese retailer used to be is fenced off. I further noticed what looked like some serious coffee-making and -serving equipment on the still-in-place countertop.

I think it might be Shatterbox. Not sure if they are moving or expanding with a second location.

#4816 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:13 PM

Definitely moving. Their other place is empty and there are signs up asking for back rent.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4817 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:13 PM

Definitely moving. Their other place is empty and there are signs up asking for back rent.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4818 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:32 PM

It was a stupid move to were they went in the first place.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4819 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:46 PM

Owners changed over the past year - what I heard is that the one was from overseas.
"I know nothing"

#4820 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:20 PM

Owners changed over the past year - what I heard is that the one was from overseas.

The owners of Shatterbox changed?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users