• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4821 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

Some store signage is starting to show up on the new construction at Mayfair (with Indigo -nee Chapters- taking the high-profile ground floor corner at Douglas and Finlayson).

I'm not seeing anything at all that would resemble an Apple Store sign, nor am I seeing anything in/on/around the construction that might present itself as the architecture of a typical Apple Store.

Can't see very much (nothing really) of the new construction from inside the mall though.

I'm a longtime member of the Apple "fanboy" community around town, and I'm not hearing anything positive about a new Apple Store ... no new hires, no job interviews, no "inside" information from folks associated with the existing Apple distribution chain.

I wonder if the Mayfair Apple Store rumours were just that ... rumours?

#4822 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

My understanding is yes. Was introducing a friend who was looking for work, asking if Kieran? Was there, and counter staff said he had sold it.
"I know nothing"

#4823 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

Passing through the Hudson Market this afternoon, I noticed that the front corner where the cheese retailer used to be is fenced off. I further noticed what looked like some serious coffee-making and -serving equipment on the still-in-place countertop.

There is now signage on the aforementioned fencing inviting visits this Friday.

#4824 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

Moksana yoga is relocating to a retail space adjacent to the CTV building on Pandora. The retail space has been vacant for a very long time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4825 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

The Pic a Flic video store will relocate to Stadacona Centre this fall due to the pending property redevelopment proposed for Cook St Village.
  • jonny likes this

#4826 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:18 AM

The Pic a Flic video store will relocate to Stadacona Centre this fall due to the pending property redevelopment proposed for Cook St Village.

The old Gordie's Music space along the Pandora side, to be specific. Hopefully they'll still be able to make a go of it there. I haven't been in that space in years but I remember it being a fair bit smaller than their current location.

#4827 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

Word on the street is that the Home Hardware on Burnside will be closing. Apparently at least some staff are telling customers that massive increases in shoplifting over the past few months have driven the marginal business out of business. I haven't confirmed that but I would imagine that Lowes is having an impact at Tillicum.

#4828 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:44 AM

I'd surmise that the circa 1965 mom'n pop small town shop model Home Hardware employs is the larger issue...

#4829 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:46 AM

I'd surmise that the circa 1965 mom'n pop small town shop model Home Hardware employs is the larger issue...

I shopped there a number of times. Some people still prefer stores where you can talk to a salesperson and get advice! I found that most of their prices were at least as good as Lowe's or Home Depot although obviously they didn't have the same selection.

#4830 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:52 AM

I shopped there a number of times. Some people still prefer stores where you can talk to a salesperson and get advice! I found that most of their prices were at least as good as Lowe's or Home Depot although obviously they didn't have the same selection.

It's a dated model, is all. I would guess that HH is at least 4th or 5th on the list of home improvement stores for most Greater Victorians behind HD, Lowe's, Rona, Castle, Wally World, etc. HH is more of a community store, which is great in small towns who don't have the big box alternatives (although I believe HH does have some bigger stores). 

#4831 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

I personally find their prices very high compared to other stores, sometimes 30-40% above the competition. If you can score a good sale it’s fine, but otherwise I always expect to pay a premium when shopping there.

Which makes me wonder, are their prices universally set across a region or does each store independently price its products?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4832 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

Mike, I think each store sets its prices, which probably allows franchisees to control margins but also means that it could pay to shop around various home hardware stores.

#4833 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:47 AM

It's a dated model, is all. I would guess that HH is at least 4th or 5th on the list of home improvement stores for most Greater Victorians behind HD, Lowe's, Rona, Castle, Wally World, etc. HH is more of a community store, which is great in small towns who don't have the big box alternatives (although I believe HH does have some bigger stores). 

Don't know about Victoria but nationally HH is a very close 3rd behind HD and Lowes. They have 12% share (2016) whereas HD and Lowes had 15% and 13% respectively.

#4834 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:51 AM

Word on the street is that the Home Hardware on Burnside will be closing. Apparently at least some staff are telling customers that massive increases in shoplifting over the past few months have driven the marginal business out of business. I haven't confirmed that but I would imagine that Lowes is having an impact at Tillicum.

This was in last Friday's Times Colonist. Habitat for Humanity is moving in Sept. 1.

Habitat Victoria takes over the location with 11,500 square feet on Sept. 1 and will be open for business in mid-October, said Yolanda Meijer, chief executive of the non-profit organization.

This store will be in addition to its existing 8,000-square-foot store on Oak Street and its 12,000- square-foot store on Orono Road in Langford.

http://www.timescolo...tlet-1.23385891

#4835 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:55 PM

Rainbird Boutique, which specializes in rain gear and related items in its CSV location, has ceased operations; its space is for lease.

#4836 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:22 PM

Rainbird Boutique, which specializes in rain gear and related items in its CSV location, has ceased operations...

Another victim of climate change.

• Mike K., rjag and Bob Fugger like this

#4837 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:01 PM

I don't even go to Lowe's nevermind so e small time hardware store. If I need hardware I was t to know that the store will have it and after wasting so many trips to Lowe's I know home Depot should always be the first stop.

#4838 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:29 PM

Rainbird Boutique, which specializes in rain gear and related items in its CSV location, has ceased operations; its space is for lease.

Man, LOTS of turnover in the Village over the last little bit.  Mostly for the better, I suppose.

• Subway (long gone) will now be a weed dispensary
  • RBC left (PROTIP: full service RBC ATM in Oxford Foods, inc. deposits), replaced by Cook Street Liquors
  • Cook Street Liquors moved, replaced by Empire Chicken & Donuts
  • Serious Coffee closed and will become a wine bar
  • The amazing NEXT Japanese fusion closed due to owner illness, now Sushi Box Cafe
  • Booster Juice closed and basically opened up with a fresh coat of paint as Fresh Start
  • Rosie's Diner closed and became Chicken 649's Thunderbird Cafe
  • Used bookstore closed and is now Cook Street Nails Salon
  • Trees dispensary is closed (is it them that wants to move across the street?)
  • Headstart is gone
  • The food cart trailer park is dead space
  • Bubby's no longer serves dinner
  • Pic-a-Flic is moving and Mac's likely soon thereafter
  • La Taverna is perpetually for sale
  • Add'l commercial space will be coming online at Cook & Oliphant and the Pic-a-Flic development

What have I missed?

Edited by Bob Fugger, 06 August 2018 - 02:47 PM.

• Rob Randall and thundergun like this

#4839 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:39 PM

Man, LOTS of turnover in the Village over the last little bit. Mostly for the better, I suppose.

• Subway (long gone) will now be a weed dispensary
  • RBC left (PROTIP: full service RBC ATM in Oxford Foods, inc. deposits), replaced by Cook Street Liquors
  • Cook Street Liquors moved, replaced by Empire Chicken & Donuts
  • Serious Coffee closed and will become a wine bar
  • The amazing NEXT Japanese fusion closed due to owner illness, now Sushi Box Cafe
  • Rosie's Diner closed and became Chicken 649's Thunderbird Cafe
  • Trees dispensary is closed (is it them that wants to move across the street?)
  • Headstart is gone
  • The food cart trailer park is dead space
  • Bubby's no longer serves dinner
  • Pic-a-Flic is moving
  • Add'l commercial space will be coming online at Cook & Oliphant and the Pic-a-Flic development
What have I missed?
Booster Juice was replaced by Fresh Start in the past year, and the used book store was replaced by a nail salon before that.

I suspect Mac’s will close soon due to the Aragon redevelopment...

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 06 August 2018 - 02:40 PM.

#4840 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:47 PM

Booster Juice was replaced by Fresh Start in the past year, and the used book store was replaced by a nail salon before that.

I suspect Mac’s will close soon due to the Aragon redevelopment...

Fixed - also added the perpetually for sale greek place.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users