* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#5301 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:22 PM

A councillor posted video on her wall this morning, showing the line starting at 6:45 am.

Matt.

Phew. I wondered how much interest there would be in a camera store grand opening. Plenty, it seems.

Good thing I'm not currently on the market for new camera gear or I might have been in that line too.

#5302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:23 AM

#5303 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:02 AM

We still have some Eatons cloth bags as we used to work there, lol. Might even have old Christmas wrap in an Eatons box.

#5304 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:20 AM

The former Gymboree space at Mayfair has been tenanted. Bikini Village will be moving in, permits for the renovation have been issued.

#5305 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:24 AM

The former Gymboree space at Mayfair has been tenanted. Bikini Village will be moving in, permits for the renovation have been issued.

I guess nobody told them that the average age in Victoria is 80 :-)

• GaryRanson likes this

#5306 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:25 PM

The new Shoppers Drug Mart on Douglas Street (former Chapters) opens May 2.

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 18 April 2019 - 05:25 PM.

• jonny likes this

#5307 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

The new Shoppers Drug Mart on Douglas Street (former Chapters) opens May 2

Filling one gap and creating another. The soon-to-be-former Shoppers space needs a total replacement.

• jonny likes this

#5308 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

I have to say, I was a little concerned walking around dt Victoria yesterday. At 1pm, I stopped into a restaurant for lunch on Blanchard. Every restaurant I walked past on the way there was virtually empty. I noticed the rock bay shoes has moved and the pho restaurant is closed. A few popular stores I walked by were quiet as well. Fields shoes (which has been in business for many years) is selling their building. A new dessert place on fort, that just opened, is now closed. I know they say the vacancy rate is 4% but I’m certain that this is untrue. How do we get an accurate number?

#5309 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:56 AM

I think colliers does an accurate report.

there is a lot of money around right now. some businesses that open have no business thinking they will be profitable. but boomers have money to try a crazy retail business. its easy to conceptualize. harder to make money.

#5310 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:47 AM

I have to say, I was a little concerned walking around dt Victoria yesterday. At 1pm, I stopped into a restaurant for lunch on Blanchard. Every restaurant I walked past on the way there was virtually empty. I noticed the rock bay shoes has moved and the pho restaurant is closed. A few popular stores I walked by were quiet as well. Fields shoes (which has been in business for many years) is selling their building. A new dessert place on fort, that just opened, is now closed. I know they say the vacancy rate is 4% but I’m certain that this is untrue. How do we get an accurate number?

The pho place beside Menbo Ramen is being renovated and will come back as Pho Tru 

#5311 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

The pho place beside Menbo Ramen is being renovated and will come back as Pho Tru 

Pho Tru or Pho 2?

#5312 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

The Mac's Store in Cook Street Village has re-branded to Circle K.  The Mac's and Circle K brands are both owned by Couche-Tard of Quebec, and I believe their intent is to transition all of their non-Quebec Mac's Stores to Circle K.

Couche Tard also owns the Wink's brand, so I'm not sure if the Wink's store in the shopping centre at Burnside/Douglas will become a Circle K or not...

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 16 May 2019 - 08:22 AM.

#5313 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

^ Obligatory, "Strange things are afoot..."

Edited by DustMagnet, 16 May 2019 - 08:30 AM.

#5314 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:33 AM

^ I believe that Couche-Tard is phasing out all of the brands they own in favour of Circle K, which is the flagship brand outside of Canada. Couche-Tard and Provi-Soir will continue to operate in Quebec, though.

#5315 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:42 AM

Yes, the parent company Couche-Tard has been phasing all stores(ex Quebec) to Circle K to reduce costs and to also provide an international marketing strategy.

The strategy is to compete with 7-11

#5316 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

Capture.JPG

#5317 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

Independent Store Operator, eh?

Capitalizing the name must mean there’s a rank system in play. Is the next step Senior Independent Store Operator?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5318 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:21 AM

Heard a rumour someone bought the BC Shaver Shop name and will relocate to Hillside Mall? I hope it's true because God knows today's malls need something other than teen fashion.

• Nparker and GaryRanson like this

#5319 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:23 AM

And Hillside really needs some more tenants.

#5320 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:41 AM

Independent Store Operator, eh?

Capitalizing the name must mean there’s a rank system in play. Is the next step Senior Independent Store Operator?

it's a proven model i think.  store operator does hiring and has real skin in the game to make sure it's run right.  or at least overseen.  circle k removes the headache of staffing and inventory management and shrinkage problems and still gets a good cut of the profits.  like how most tim hortons operate.  head company still owns or controls the physical space.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 May 2019 - 07:44 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users