* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8267 replies to this topic

#5881 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:48 PM

We used to go to the English Sweet Shop on Yates all the time, when a lady from northern England ran it. It wasn't the same after she sold it. This is the one near Broad Street.

I was wondering how a place like Bulk Barn will fare? Seems like a nightmare for them.

#5882 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:51 PM

I was wondering how a place like Bulk Barn will fare? Seems like a nightmare for them.

why?  well i know why, but it's not accurate to suggest their offerings are somehow contaminated.

#5883 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:53 PM

why?  well i know why, but it's not accurate to suggest their offerings are somehow contaminated.

Not saying they are but public perception will be that it is unsafe.

#5884 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

Not saying they are but public perception will be that it is unsafe.

yes i suppose.  that's a lot of the reason there is no run on produce.  and obviously produce does not have a long shelf-life.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 March 2020 - 01:56 PM.

#5885 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:30 PM

Country grocer has blocked off their bulk food section. Not sure about Bulk Barn yet

#5886 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:30 PM

Country grocer has blocked off their bulk food section. Not sure about Bulk Barn yet

Market on Yates has too.

#5887 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

Save On has too.  

But feel free to pick through the grapes and the rest of the produce.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5888 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:34 PM

All stores I’ve visited have emptied the bulk section.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5889 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:09 PM

All stores I’ve visited have emptied the bulk section.

or simply covered them up with black plastic garbage bags, which was the situation yesterday afternoon at Fairway Markets on Gorge/Tillicum.  Probably a smart move.

• Mike K. likes this

#5890 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:53 AM

Not the goods, just trying to keep all the scoops clean. That would be a lot of cleaning!

#5891 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:59 AM

Oh ya.

#5892 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:40 PM

Quadra Fairway has similarly closed the bulk aisle (not emptied, but covered the bins). Rest of the store is fairly well stocked from what I saw, even has TP on the shelves.

• JanionGuy likes this

#5893 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 04:36 PM

i have to applaud Fairway Markets, their supply chain is working.  Thrifty's yesterday had no potatoes and no carrots.  Went to Fairway and was able to find a selection of both, in several options (organic, etc.)

#5894 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:33 AM

Victoria’s Cherry Bomb Toys will be featured in a new docu-series from Nacelle, the makers of Netlfix’s The Toys That Made Us and The Movies That Made Us, about toy stores in America and Canada as they navigate the COVID-19 situation. Proceeds from the series will be shared with the businesses. The series will begin to air via online streaming services by mid-April.

The following toy stores will be featured:

Bill Galaxy Vintage Toys – Portland, OR
Black Cat Comics – Burbank, CA
I&S Collectibles – Echo Park, CA
Blast From The Past – Burbank, CA
1313 Mockingbird Lane – Lawrence, KS
Smash Toys – Chigaco, IL
Toy De Jour – Chicago, IL
Kokomo Toys – Kokomo, IN
Farpoint Toys – May’s Landing, NJ
Cherry Bomb Toys – Victoria, BC Canada
  • Nparker, Hotel Mike, Greg and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5895 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:41 PM

This may be new news for some.  Ocean River Sports is closing it's doors. Their website claims it has nothing to do with Covid19.

OceanRiver.jpg

#5896 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:47 PM

These are extraordinary times and I personally want to inform you that I have been planning my retirement from retail for many months. This is not a response to COVID-19. I was planning to liquidate the store and then COVID19 hit.  How is that for bad timing? We have a great online store to allow you to shop from home. We are still going ahead with the clearance.

https://oceanriver.c...quidation-sale/

pretty sure he was not planning to liquidate an outdoors store in spring.  but yes it might have been their last summer.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 March 2020 - 12:48 PM.

#5897 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:25 AM

Some good retail news: BC-based London Drugs is starting a program to support local businesses that have had to close due to COVID-19. Centre aisle shelf space will be made available to small businesses to stock and sell their products. IIRC, this aisle is typically the "seasonal" section. The stores have not been determined yet, but Victoria has been identified as a target market. There are four locations in Victoria.

via https://globalnews.c...all-businesses/

• Mike K., Nparker, gstc84 and 4 others like this

#5898 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:30 AM

Way to go London Drugs!!! I’ll happily support them.

#5899 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

Some good retail news: BC-based London Drugs is starting a program to support local businesses that have had to close due to COVID-19. Centre aisle shelf space will be made available to small businesses to stock and sell their products. IIRC, this aisle is typically the "seasonal" section. The stores have not been determined yet, but Victoria has been identified as a target market. There are four locations in Victoria.

via https://globalnews.c...all-businesses/

Hopefully they actually update the aisle. I was at a Shopper's today and the seasonal aisle was still a sad looking Easter aisle. No sign of a switch over to Mother's Day. The cards section too.

#5900 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 07:33 AM

I noticed that the former "Grocery Plus" (which included a Chinese restaurant before it was briefly a Persian business) at the corner of Quadra and View, which was vacant for a long time, is undergoing renovations.  Does anyone know which retailer will be occupying this space?  VicMap shows that one of the permits is to add a 'personal services' component...

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mike K.