Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6421 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:43 AM

The robbery was at the 7/11 I thought? But close enough.

This recent convo brings back memories of growing up in Esquimalt and Vic West, and always having to deal with the “wow, that’s the sketchiest part of the region!” comments from people who had *no* idea what they were talking about. My response was “you clearly haven’t spent time on Burnside Road, have you? Or Tillicum at Burnside? Or the half-dozen places in Saanich where you’ll actually get jumped, not make-believe think you’ll get jumped?” Anyways...
  • TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6422 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,034 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

there was also a robbery at 7/11 a bit earlier this fall or summer.

#6423 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:38 PM

The Bay store in Coquitlam closed Saturday as the company’s financial disputes with landlords continue to grow across Canada and in the U.S.

Landlords of several Hudson Bay Co. ULC locations — including a former Home Outfitters store in Nanaimo — say the company stopped paying rent early in the pandemic.

https://www.timescol...rent-1.24243453

this seems quite serious if they are willing to let a location get boarded up.  can't make the employees at other locations feel too secure.

#6424 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:37 PM

HSBC has closed its branch next to the Starbucks on Jacklin.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6425 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:31 PM

this seems quite serious if they are willing to let a location get boarded up.  can't make the employees at other locations feel too secure.

I'm not sure that forcing out the tenant (the Bay) is a great strategy on the part of the landlord. Aside from the job losses (right before Christmas no less), does the landlord reasonably expect to get another tenant to fill that much space any time soon? Granted, we have Walmart going into the former Hillside Mall Sears space, but that's been years in the making.

#6426 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:02 AM

at some point you have to cut your losses. it does cost the landlord some amount to have an active tenant in the space. even over the cost of nobody there.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 November 2020 - 04:02 AM.

#6427 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:36 AM

I just started using Amazon during this Covid period. Have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised at how well it works for a lot of purchases. Got an upright freezer, rowing machine, patio heater and a bunch of shoes and jeans. While I am elderly (polite way of saying old) my wife is very computer savvy (and much younger) so we have had fun shopping online. 

Downtown has become a rather creepy sh*thole to say the least even before covid.

Cant say we miss it.

• SimonH and Victoria Watcher like this

#6428 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:48 AM

I just started using Amazon during this Covid period. Have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised at how well it works for a lot of purchases. Got an upright freezer, rowing machine, patio heater and a bunch of shoes and jeans. While I am elderly (polite way of saying old) my wife is very computer savvy (and much younger) so we have had fun shopping online. 

Downtown has become a rather creepy sh*thole to say the least even before covid.

Cant say we miss it.

What I can't believe is that after all of these years, the Feds still allow Amazon the loophole of shipping from a US warehouse and not charging taxes. I get it that if that happens then the customer is supposed to self-asses and pay taxes but really how often do we think that happens (I always do by the way for any CRA people reading this).

Edited by spanky123, 23 November 2020 - 07:48 AM.

#6429 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:05 PM

Does anyone know what happened to Sitka clothing? They had a nice downtown store and for a while you would see the hoodies everywhere. They seem to have vanished off the face of the earth

#6430 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:12 PM

They left their big Yates St. store and greatly downsized to a unit on Gov't. St. near W&J Wilson. They've since rebranded as ecologyst. It's a great place to go if you want a hoodie but you have the budget for a suit.

#6431 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:22 PM

Bizarre business decision to luck out with a a recognizable brand that gets traction and then change it completely

#6432 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:23 PM

I think they were trying to pivot away from the skateboarder vibe into something more adult.

#6433 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:08 PM

They also keep putting out ads to become an investor in their company. 

#6434 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:13 PM

Does anyone know what happened to Sitka clothing? They had a nice downtown store and for a while you would see the hoodies everywhere. They seem to have vanished off the face of the earth

Restructured in 2016 due to significant debts, and then rebranded as they only owned the Sitka trademark in Canada. A big American outfit owns the trademark to Sitka Gear in the USA and several other global markets, so it was a pre-emptive change to avoid potential lawsuits in the future.

via https://www.timescol...ute-1.23824236 

Edited by Jackerbie, 23 November 2020 - 03:13 PM.

• Matt R. and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#6435 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:13 PM

They also keep putting out ads to become an investor in their company. 

https://www.frontfun...om/en/ecologyst

#6436 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:08 PM

They left their big Yates St. store and greatly downsized to a unit on Gov't. St. near W&J Wilson. They've since rebranded as ecologyst. It's a great place to go if you want a hoodie but you have the budget for a suit.

Who, young or old, pays a big amount for a hoodie?

• GaryRanson likes this

#6437 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:12 PM

^Differentiating oneself from the hoi polloi with fine clothing is something old as the hills

• Matt R. likes this

#6438 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:32 PM

that’s true. that’s why they have school uniforms. it’s not so you can identify the kids that belong to your school. like say a war uniform.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 November 2020 - 08:33 PM.

#6439 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:02 AM

Oxford foods officially closed their doors today. I almost never go there but it still is sad.

#6440 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:10 PM

We went to Oxford several times a week. Have been scoping out other places. Our grocery bill will rise substantially with them gone. Also had to drive to Oak Bay to use the RBC ATM. And please don't say we don't need cash. Neither my hairdresser nor other personal care lady accepts credit cards, same as a couple of other small businesses I've been to. Cash or cheque only. 

When we were in Oxford last time I asked the fellow where they got their chicken. He said Lilydale, but another customer and I commented that Oxford chicken was by far the most tender and best priced in town and that other store's Lilydale chicken wasn't the same. Really sad they're gone. 

• rmpeers likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)