Photo

[Bicycles] Regional Trails in Victoria: Galloping Goose, Lochside, Trans-Canada & E&N

• Please log in to reply
1124 replies to this topic

#961 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:31 AM

I have to wonder if the interchange mess is pushing people to leave their cars behind. I personally know one individual who can't handle the congested highway any longer and has ditched her car for a bicycle (transit isn't an option).

That intersection should have been dealt with a decade ago. It's a crying shame the Liberals took as long as they did to take action.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#962 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:40 AM

The irony is that it will just push the choke point one intersection south to Tillicum Road.

#963 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:46 AM

The irony is that it will just push the choke point one intersection south to Tillicum Road.

Sort of. A lot of people get off at McKenzie and admirals

Edit: get off and get on

Edited by RFS, 07 November 2018 - 10:47 AM.

#964 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:46 AM

1) Construction delays are a mess

2) E-bikes seem to be exploding in popularity making a Westshore to Core commute much more accessible.

3) Gas is pretty damn pricey right now

4) New bridge and better bike infrastructure. Crossing the blue bridge in the traffic lanes was scary to many people

#965 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:05 PM

Sort of. A lot of people get off at McKenzie and admirals

Edit: get off and get on

This is my standard response to the 'but Tillicum!!!!' whiners. Someone posted the stats a while back too.. like 40% or so! 

It will help. It's not a full fix, but it will help.

#966 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:48 PM

Yep, bike numbers have been up every single month this year, with some significantly up.

Numbers I crunched from the eco-public website (2018 vs 2017):
Jan +16.7%

Feb +20.2%
Mar +30.0%
Apr +16.7%
May +30.5%
Jun +8.3%
Jul +12.7%
Aug +6.4%
Sep +5.9%
Oct +17.6%

I would assume that this is due to a number of factors. Personally, I've only been consistently biking into downtown since the opening of the new bridge and Pandora/Fort bike lanes. However, I'm sure construction, slight population increases, congestion, gas prices, and a number of other factors have had additive effects.

I was curious how these changes in cycling correlated with weather. Most months this year had relatively less rainfall than last year, though January, April and September had more rainfall than last year but still had increases. What astounded me was that January of 2018 (the second rainiest month this decade after Oct 2016) had over 4x the total rainfall of January 2017, yet still managed an increase of 16.7% ridership!

#967 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:35 PM

^ For the winter months, number of days with snow on the ground and-or high winds will probably represent a significant difference as well.  My memory could be off, but I seem to recall 2016-17 winter as having more snow days (and some of them quite late, well into March) than 2017-18.

As for wind - cycling in a calm-ish rain is one thing.  Cycling in a 30-knot southeaster with the rain falling almost sideways is quite another.  I know of what I speak, having done more than enough of both in my time. :)

• nerka likes this

#968 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:45 PM

Very true! The 2017-2018 winter had much less snow than 2016-2017. Although this wouldn't have affected January as only 1 cm fell in 2017 vs. 0 in 2018. Certainly could have affected February and March.

#969 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:38 AM

‘It’s devastating’: 200 trees removed in Langford for E&N Rail Trail expansion

https://www.cheknews...pansion-539747/

“I’m very much for bike lanes but why do they have to be pitted against each other?,” Cruise explained.

I don't think they are.  This isn't some sort of war.  When you want to build infrastructure there is often existing plant life in the way.

Why are there no tears for all the rock that is blasted around here?  At least trees can grow back.  That rock is gone forever.*

* Until some geological upheaval I suppose.

#970 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

Of all the municipalities, the residents of Langford should be far more used to deforestation to make way for infrastructure than anyone else. How many trees had to come down for the Bear Mountain Parkway or Westshore Parkway?

#971 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:21 AM

While the group isn’t opposed to expanding the trail, Cruise says they’re worried about the potential environmental impact to the area’s sensitive ecosystem which includes Millstream Creek.

And people honestly think that commuter rail has a chance on this corridor, when a 1 km pedestrian and bicycle trail will have a "devastating" impact on the environment? Good luck!

#972 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:22 AM

There is oftentimes a disconnect between an actual means to an end and a perceived means to an end.

In the case of this Langford cyclist, a cycling route should have never required the loss of trees.

In the case of renter advocates in Victoria, successfully derailing a rental project 'for the rich' should have never increased the rents at their entry-level apartments.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#973 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:22 PM

Of all the municipalities, the residents of Langford should be far more used to deforestation to make way for infrastructure than anyone else. How many trees had to come down for the Bear Mountain Parkway or Westshore Parkway?

Oooh, (slash) burn!

The difference is likely that the ecosystem in the areas of the parkways was insensitive.

#974 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:36 PM

So many articles about tree chopping will contain some variation of the following:

“The part that I don’t understand is the CRD has just come out with a climate change emergency and cutting down huge trees like this doesn’t fit in with the climate plan,” Cruise said.

#975 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:41 PM

So they went and mowed down all the sensitive ecosystem to make the Atkins-Savoy section of the E&N and then... nothing.  I noticed yesterday that the sign by Savoy School has the "Fall 2019" completion date stickered over with "Fall 2020". 

#976 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:09 AM

Can you snap a photo when you get a chance?

Know it all.

#977 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

I will next time I am going by, unless someone else beats me to it.  ;)

• Mike K. likes this

#978 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

So they went and mowed down all the sensitive ecosystem to make the Atkins-Savoy section of the E&N and then... nothing.  I noticed yesterday that the sign by Savoy School has the "Fall 2019" completion date stickered over with "Fall 2020". 

Not sure when the website was updated, but it references a start date of Summer 2019 and construction taking approx. one year. via https://www.crd.bc.c.../e-n-rail-trail and https://www.crd.bc.c...vrsn=9962c4ca_4

#979 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:52 AM

As requested.

IMG_4011(Edited).jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#980 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:38 AM

Not sure when the website was updated, but it references a start date of Summer 2019 and construction taking approx. one year. via https://www.crd.bc.c.../e-n-rail-trail and https://www.crd.bc.c...vrsn=9962c4ca_4

I guess the sign is inclusive of the routing and design and construction.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users