9629 replies to this topic

#7541 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:23 PM

Was that issued today?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7542 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

I assume so. They Tweeted it out just under an hour ago https://twitter.com/...583948977926144

#7543 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:22 PM

Interesting. Yesterday we put out a very similar safety message by request of transit riders. People are not happy with the overall cleanliness, it sounds like.

They have 250 buses. I’m not sure how you can thoroughly clean them on a daily basis, but I’m sure they have their procedures that are effective or will be stepped up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7544 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 06:59 AM

Can anyone think of a reason BC Transit doesn't switch to their April-June scheduling (minus stuff like boosted 75 on weekend I guess) now? UVic and Camosun aren't in and there's still a ton of extra buses meant to serve them heading there each morning while 27s and 65s get cancelled.

Today a huge amount of 12s were cancelled so I guess they're allocating resources a little better but on Nextride I still see 4s starting at Kings way more frequent than every 10 minutes, 8s starting at Mayfair, 16s running right behind 26s, etc while there was cancelled or at risk trips on 65, 72, 25, 24, 27 and 50 today that have nothing to do with UVic/Camosun.

Even if due to union they have to pay drivers what they should have been paid that aren't driving as much they'd still save on fuel, general wear and tear, if the bus didn't leave the depot today it doesn't need a deep cleaning, etc. Just seems weird to have all these empty buses running because back in December they said they would when they can't even keep routes like 65 that only have 2 trips heading downtown a day running.

#7545 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:06 AM

those are good points.  now yes of course drivers have booked vacation etc. for later (in the normal lighter summer schedule) so you might have some drivers kicking around doing nothing as you say.

#7546 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:16 AM

of course emptier buses means more social distancing.  that's one reason i suppose.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#7547 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:24 AM

Buses should be require no people sit next to each other and not allow any standing at all.    This would reduce the capacity a lot

#7548 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:29 AM

Buses should be require no people sit next to each other and not allow any standing at all.    This would reduce the capacity a lot

and make them wildly popular at other times too!

• Nparker likes this

#7549 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:59 AM

You'd also only be able to fill every second row (if that) so they might as well just cancel buses at that point. Double deckers would hold maybe 20 total. Regular buses probably around 10.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7550 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:53 AM

Can anyone think of a reason BC Transit doesn't switch to their April-June scheduling (minus stuff like boosted 75 on weekend I guess) now? UVic and Camosun aren't in and there's still a ton of extra buses meant to serve them heading there each morning while 27s and 65s get cancelled.

Today a huge amount of 12s were cancelled so I guess they're allocating resources a little better but on Nextride I still see 4s starting at Kings way more frequent than every 10 minutes, 8s starting at Mayfair, 16s running right behind 26s, etc while there was cancelled or at risk trips on 65, 72, 25, 24, 27 and 50 today that have nothing to do with UVic/Camosun.

Even if due to union they have to pay drivers what they should have been paid that aren't driving as much they'd still save on fuel, general wear and tear, if the bus didn't leave the depot today it doesn't need a deep cleaning, etc. Just seems weird to have all these empty buses running because back in December they said they would when they can't even keep routes like 65 that only have 2 trips heading downtown a day running.

Today 11 2 trips were cancelled. https://www.bctransi...d=1529708511170 One of those trips should be about to leave. There's currently a nearly empty 16 heading to UVic (according to NextRide) they could have cancelled instead.

There's also 9 28 trips https://www.bctransi...d=1529708510711

These ones go well into the afternoon so I'm assuming driver shortage rather than bus shortage but I still feel resources would be better allocated cancelling 4 and 16 trips over 2 and 28.

#7551 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:10 AM

Transit will adjust soon I'm sure. Uvic is transitioning to work from home till April 10 at least. I'm sure most government ministries will too. 80%+ of those jobs staying home will lower ridership a lot

#7552 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:13 AM

free buses in hamilton to - err - combat (?) coronavirus.

https://globalnews.c...ree-rear-doors/

free usually increases demand or usage.  and reduces social distancing.

#7553 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:13 AM

Transit will adjust soon I'm sure. Uvic is transitioning to work from home till April 10 at least. I'm sure most government ministries will too. 80%+ of those jobs staying home will lower ridership a lot

I'm just questioning why they don't transition to the spring schedule a little early. UVic/Camosun are extremely unlikely to go back to in person classes this semester so they might as well use the resources elsewhere. 

Edited by Cats4Hire, 18 March 2020 - 08:14 AM.

#7554 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:22 AM

UVic/Camosun are extremely unlikely to go back to in person classes this semester 

uvic has already said they definitely won't be.  they told out-of-town students to return to their hometowns.

March 16, 2020 - University of Victoria

In light of the global progression of the COVID-19 virus and the impacts on travel and mobility, all UVic undergraduate students planning to travel home may now do so. This includes both international and domestic students. We ask research assistants and students in professional and graduate programs to verify program adjustments with their academic advisors or supervisors before making travel plans.

Any remaining course delivery and student assessment (including final exams) for all students (undergraduate, graduate and professional) will not be conducted in person. Faculty and instructors will be communicating their plans for completing courses and assessment (including final exams) to students by Thursday, March 19, 2020.

https://www.uvic.ca/...s-16mar2020.php

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 March 2020 - 08:22 AM.

#7555 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:40 AM

The employment situation is cracking up.

Of the businesses that remain open, some are locking the doors and only opening them for pickup orders. No browsing. Employees are debating the risks of continuing to interact with the public vs. leaving work.

Huge uncertainty with EI. One employer I know called EI at 4 am this morning hoping to get Ottawa as they opened up at 7 am to discuss worksharing. No luck. Website was no help. He went to the Service Canada office at the top of the Bay Centre (escalators still broken, natch) and they had no employees on site that could help with any employment matter. Thousands are being laid off this week locally and they don't know what to do or where to go.

#7556 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:19 AM

The employment situation is cracking up.

Of the businesses that remain open, some are locking the doors and only opening them for pickup orders. No browsing. Employees are debating the risks of continuing to interact with the public vs. leaving work.

Huge uncertainty with EI. One employer I know called EI at 4 am this morning hoping to get Ottawa as they opened up at 7 am to discuss worksharing. No luck. Website was no help. He went to the Service Canada office at the top of the Bay Centre (escalators still broken, natch) and they had no employees on site that could help with any employment matter. Thousands are being laid off this week locally and they don't know what to do or where to go.

Just a side question that I’m trying to find out how long that escalator has been broken .

#7557 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 04:16 PM

More cancellations are coming.

Victoria Service Update

BC Transit has seen a significant reduction in ridership, and we expect to have daily trip cancellations for the foreseeable future that reflect demand and driver availability.

We recognize this is a fluid situation and will update customers on a day-by-day basis while we work on implementing and communicating a new sustainable plan for service.

We are continuing to work to ensure we have service on the road for customers that need to get to work, including hospitals, and going out for groceries or other needs.

We encourage people to stay up to date for daily trip cancellations at BCTransit.com, on NextRide, or through our customer call centre at 250-382-6161.

Know it all.

#7558 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 04:17 PM

In all seriousness this is a golden opportunity to repair sidelined buses.

Know it all.

#7559 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:17 PM

More cancellations are coming.

Victoria Service Update

BC Transit has seen a significant reduction in ridership, and we expect to have daily trip cancellations for the foreseeable future that reflect demand and driver availability.

We recognize this is a fluid situation and will update customers on a day-by-day basis while we work on implementing and communicating a new sustainable plan for service.

We are continuing to work to ensure we have service on the road for customers that need to get to work, including hospitals, and going out for groceries or other needs.

We encourage people to stay up to date for daily trip cancellations at BCTransit.com, on NextRide, or through our customer call centre at 250-382-6161.

that does make sense although I still don't get why trips targeted at UVic/Camosun are still running then, especially if they're willing to cancel routes on a potential large scale without an official service change

#7560 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:51 AM

BC Transit services in the Capital are now fare-free while passengers are to board and exit through the rear doors. The measures are meant to keep drivers separated from passengers during this period of social distancing.

The policy will be in place over the next 30-days.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users