BUILT
1515 Douglas Street
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1515 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1515 Douglas Street is a six-storey, 111,428 square foot office complex with ground floor retail space at the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1515 Douglas Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1515 Douglas and 750 Pandora | Office; commercial | 6- & 13-storeys (53.6m & 27.4m) | Completed - Built in 2018 and 2017

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1287 replies to this topic

#41 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

They might be in small floor plate buildlings at the moment, but given the chance they will move onto larger floor plates to consolidate departments onto one floor.

As I alluded to above, I work in a government building that although it has large floor plates, offices within the same division are often scattered all over the building and would function just as well in a taller building with smaller floor plates.

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

Could that be a case of space acquisitions haphazardly as the staff requirements of a department grew and various vacancies throughout the building become available?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Could that be a case of space acquisitions haphazardly as the staff requirements of a department grew and various vacancies throughout the building become available?

Probably more about re-organizations, but staff requirements are always going to fluctuate. I have been in government for 20 years and I have never seen an office not go through some sort of physical change at least once every 3 years.

#44 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

the other big issue for government tenants is the efficiency and cost of their fit outs within the space.
larger floor plates allow for more space efficient and cost efficient fit outs.
less space is lost through the fit out design and the building of foyer space which means you are not paying for as much dead space. the more floors you require, the more space you lose in your fitout which increases the overall cost. additionally there is greater connectivity which is often beneficial for these big government tenants.

the large floor plates also mean you can reconfigure space much easier as needed to adjust to any changes in the business - as per your department it seems.

#45 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

Probably more about re-organizations, but staff requirements are always going to fluctuate. I have been in government for 20 years and I have never seen an office not go through some sort of physical change at least once every 3 years.

That is because, unlike the private sector, you have an unlimited budget for such things :-)

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

That is because, unlike the private sector, you have an unlimited budget for such things :-)

We may have A budget for such things but I assure you it is quite limited.

#47 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

^ Its protected heritage so it would have to be incorporated.

The RB building on Douglas is protected heritage? Whatever for? It's not good mid-century modern. It's just a generic bank circa 1955.

#48 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

The RB building on Douglas is protected heritage? Whatever for? It's not good mid-century modern. It's just a generic bank circa 1955.

This is the building that has been purchased by the Jawls to include with this main project.

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

The Royal Bank is on the City's modern heritage wish list:

http://www.victoria....hrt_prsrv.shtml

http://vibrantvictor...read.php?t=2683

I really can't see how the Roth site can be economically developed without access to the derelict Douglas St. properties. Myself, I see the Royal Bank building as a cool modern restaurant after some renovations.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

I thought it was passed at a meeting a few months ago.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

This is the building that has been purchased by the Jawls to include with this main project.

Well, there we have it. A lot of VV'ers have been wishing for this to happen.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

I bumped into Bobby J at the luggage carousel in YVR, he said they bought it from Danny Danzo.

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Excellent. Mr. Danzo, the owner of the Douglas Hotel kitty corner to this lot, would not sell the property to Townline back when they were working on plans for the Centro project (the project that preceded the current office proposal by Jawl).

Know it all.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

...and this only cements the fact that Jawl is very, very serious about being the developer of the next major downtown office project and potentially derailing efforts by Tri-Eagle to build Gateway Green.

Know it all.

#55 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

word from the horse's mouth is that this will be a minimum 2 building development. possibly even three. i.e these buildings will likely be somewhere between the atrium and gateway green. instead of 20,000 sqf floor plates they will probably be 15,000 - 17,000

there will also be a large retail component. at least these are the plans at present.

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

Wow. Any idea on the massing and scale of these buildings, b?

Know it all.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

One of our Facebook members mentioned today that drilling/soil testing appears to be under way.

Know it all.

#58 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Looks like Jawl is partnering with D'Ambrosio architects again for this project. The green terra-cotta facade will be salvaged but say goodbye to the modernist old Royal Bank building. I have no further information.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#59 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

okay sure, salvage the terra-cotta but please don't rebuild it in place

the bank I won't miss. re-do the entire block

#60 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

I like that building it could have made a great restaurant...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users