BUILT
1515 Douglas Street
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1515 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1515 Douglas Street is a six-storey, 111,428 square foot office complex with ground floor retail space at the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1515 Douglas Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1515 Douglas and 750 Pandora | Office; commercial | 6- & 13-storeys (53.6m & 27.4m) | Completed - Built in 2018 and 2017

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1287 replies to this topic

#61 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

if there's a height restriction across from city hall i wonder why they would demolish that building if they can't really put anything bigger there to replace it? i kind of like that old royal bank building.

#62 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

They can build a few stories high but I agree incorporating a nice international piece into the mix would be cool.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#63 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

really just additions off the back of the douglas st buildings would be enough if there's a height restriction on that block. I think it would make sense to focus the development along cormorant & pandora to create a streetwall & storefronts on those streets, and especially to enclose the western side of that plaza in front of the rotherham building. it's been sort of half a plaza for years, & here's a chance to finish the job. something like a tower at the southeast corner of the parkng lot & a smaller one on the cormorant side across from corazon. since afaik the jawls own that rotherham building too I wonder if this could also be a good time for an addition or something to improve its connection with that plaza & to tie in with whatever is going on the parking lot. & add cafes with benches or tables out there, maybe a water feature, greenery, etc.

#64 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

so i just had a chance to see this place & I can't imagine what the problem is with the douglas st side of this block. maybe the buildings need some fixing up but other than that it seems to work ok to me. the area that has the most room for improvement is towards the eastern end, in front of the rotherham building where that plaza is. if they don't fix that, then this block will always suck. now that I've seen it in real life, if there were a building facing that plaza there could be steps/stramps in the front (where those bushes are) for people to sit on, a waterfall from the higher area in front of the existing building down into a pool below, etc. pretty much anything would be an improvement over what's there. those NO LOITERING & USE MAIN ENTRANCE signs make it pretty inhospitable right now. old european plazas took decades or even centuries to perfect, so I'm just trying to think of that plaza as something positive here.

#65 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

I pray for the day that the Blanshard side is completely redeveloped. Not only is the existing building lousy re: engaging the sidewalk, but it's also a very small building considering the site and the design is really bland. I'd really like to see a new residential building in its place. Although I suppose I could also accept the addition of some floors and a complete redesign of the exterior.

#66 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

I guess I wouldn't be against that either. Maybe if forests & range moves into the new building something major could be done to the rotherham building before someone new moves in.

#67 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

Does anyone have a conceptual plan for this project? I am very interested to see what is being considered.

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

Nothing quite yet. As soon as something is available will publish it. No doubt there are a variety of concepts already in the making behind closed doors. We do have a piece from 2011 that has a little more info on the project.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#69 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

terminating vista heading south into town:
http://goo.gl/maps/2A8dD

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

Does anyone have a conceptual plan for this project? I am very interested to see what is being considered.

Our network of spies and sleuths appear to have pulled through yet again. Nothing is absolutely certain here, but the models depicted in the photographs below sure look as though they could be offering us a glimpse of what's to come at the Roth Site.

More info in the piece below.

First glimpse of Jawl Properties' upcoming downtown Victoria office project?
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictor...office-project/

VibrantVictoria’s network of spies and sleuths have brought us never before seen images of what appears to be the redevelopment plans for downtown Victoria’s Roth Site to the east of City Hall.

In 2011 developer Jawl Properties purchased the massive parcel, bordered by Douglas Street, Pandora Avenue and Cormorant Street, with plans to build downtown’s next major office and commercial building. [Read more]

Here we see three models, the largest of which depicts what looks like a 14-storey tower and a six storey lowrise portion. The lowrise portion is also depicted in greater detail to the right of the two-building massing model. In front of the large model we see a smaller massing model also depicting the two-building design. If we understand the positioning correctly, Pandora runs along the right side of the model, Cormorant along the left and the six storey building fronts onto Douglas or at least is pointed towards Douglas.

And here we see the larger model of the six storey building.

The north side of the development.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

Those uneven angled floors are an interesting architectural style, and I'm excited about what looks to be a massive underground metro station below it all. Things are really looking up for victoria.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

I must admit, in the first image the smaller model depicting the two buildings sort of looks like a ...toilet?

Know it all.

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

I like the openness, but the lack of glazing in the window walls might make for some unpleasant experiences come winter. :P

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

You know, come to think of it, the tower planned for this site would become the City's tallest office building if that tower is indeed to be used for office space. Gateway Green is one storey taller at 15-storeys and could eclipse this one, but either one when built will take the title.

Know it all.

#75 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

that would be great for the area if those models are for this site. I guess they'd call it the courtyard, because you know, it has a courtyard :rolleyes:

-ZxHAZChcYU

#76 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

I like blackberries as much as anyone else, but half a block from douglas st, in the middle of downtown? :squint: I spotted some growing amongst those shrubs next to this parking lot. If you're downtown get them while they last I guess.

#77 Brick and Mortar

Brick and Mortar
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

really just additions off the back of the douglas st buildings would be enough if there's a height restriction on that block. I think it would make sense to focus the development along cormorant & pandora to create a streetwall & storefronts on those streets, and especially to enclose the western side of that plaza in front of the rotherham building. it's been sort of half a plaza for years, & here's a chance to finish the job. something like a tower at the southeast corner of the parkng lot & a smaller one on the cormorant side across from corazon. since afaik the jawls own that rotherham building too I wonder if this could also be a good time for an addition or something to improve its connection with that plaza & to tie in with whatever is going on the parking lot. & add cafes with benches or tables out there, maybe a water feature, greenery, etc.

No part of the Jawl family owns the Rotherham building. The ownership is a German based family.

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

As mentioned here by Barra, Sobey's/Thrifty Foods are polling residents about their thoughts on a downtown Victoria location at "Douglas and Pandora," which corresponds with the Roth Site property.

Makes one wonder if Sobey's turned away from Hudson when plans for the market came to light, but then again a brand new space built to-spec might be a better option than a restored heritage building.

Know it all.

#79 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

I was hoping that Shoppers might move into whatever new building goes up here, thus paving the way for the redevelopment of the Shoppers building. Wishful thinking.

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

They would never give up such a high profile location.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users