964 replies to this topic

#921 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,545 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 07:13 AM

CityNews Vancouver:

Body found in U.S. waters after kayakers reported missing off Vancouver Island

Police in Washington are confirming that the body of one of the kayakers who had gone missing over the weekend off Vancouver Island has been found.

San Juan County Sheriff Eric Peter says late Monday afternoon police received a report of a body floating in the water by Grandma’s Cove on the west side of San Juan Island.

Peter adds police are on their way to investigate a second body that's been found in the water this morning.

#922 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,018 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 07:51 AM

Sad.

#923 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 08:04 AM

^very. 

People don't recognize that the ocean is the wilderness. Even if you're 30 feet from shore, you should assume you're in the backcountry.

These guys probably would've lived if they were wearing 5mil wetsuits & PFDs. So preventable.

#924 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 08:13 AM

They left the island at 2:15pm:

screenshot-www.timeanddate.com-2024.04.23-12_10_58 (1).png

Unfortunately that looks like right where they was a relative lul in the wind.  And while I can't determine tides or currents at the time that would help or hamper their trip back I'd guess the return would only take less than an hour normally.  But along with those strong winds came a shift in wind directtion, blowing against the direction they were travelling.

All things went bad.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 April 2024 - 08:18 AM.

#925 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 08:24 AM

^very. 

People don't recognize that the ocean is the wilderness. Even if you're 30 feet from shore, you should assume you're in the backcountry.

These guys probably would've lived if they were wearing 5mil wetsuits & PFDs. So preventable.

Ya, but not many kayakers wear wetsuits.

#926 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 09:22 AM

Sounds like one body has been recovered along the western shores of San Juan, a second has been sighted off the coast of Lopez Island. Police have not confirmed the identify of the recovered body.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#927 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 12:13 PM

Sheriff Eric Peter says the first body, of a man, was reported on Monday around 3 p.m. PT. He said authorities found the body floating in the water against the rocks in Grandma's Cove (A), on the south side of San Juan Island.

The second body was reported Tuesday around 6:30 a.m. PT, located in Middle Channel (B) to the south of the island. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...te-us-1.7182186

screenshot-www.google.com-2024.04.23-16_16_41 (1).png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 April 2024 - 12:19 PM.

#928 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 03:16 PM

This area is so, so dangerous. The currents are extremely strong as they flow past the relatively narrow inlets.

What a tragedy.

• Victoria Watcher, max.bravo and Blair M. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#929 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 12:07 PM

Cuba apologized to Canada on Wednesday after authorities accidentally delivered the remains of another man to a Canadian family grieving the loss of a loved one who died while vacationing on the Caribbean island in March.

Faraj Jarjour, a Canadian citizen of Syrian descent, died in the Varadero beach resort town two hours east of Havana on March 22.

Weeks later, his family was shocked to find the body of a tattooed man many years younger in the casket delivered from Cuba to a funeral home near Montreal.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-body-1.7183601

Will Cuba ask for the wrong guy back? I know sometimes Amazon does not make me actually make the return.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 April 2024 - 12:07 PM.

#930 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:59 PM

Bodies found in U.S. waters confirmed to be missing Canadian kayakers: Sidney RCMP

https://www.vicnews....ey-rcmp-7349542

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 April 2024 - 03:59 PM.

#931 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,018 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 04:00 PM

It's a sad outcome, but at least their friends and families will have some closure.  :(

#932 LJ

LJ
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 07:23 PM

Will Cuba ask for the wrong guy back? I know sometimes Amazon does not make me actually make the return.

I returned something to Amazon a couple of days ago and they charged me $5.34 for the return.

My wife was trying to find out about this paying for returns deal and accidentally returned another product. They told her to keep the product and they will refund the full amount.

I figure we are up a few bucks on that deal.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#933 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,296 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 05:46 AM

Dan is going to miss his court appearance next month.

snip1.JPG

#934 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 05:51 AM

University of Victoria has a court?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#935 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 05:53 AM

Maybe some cases are handled by the UVic Law Centre, which is at the main courthouse.

#936 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 05:54 AM

Interesting.

Know it all.

#937 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 07:02 AM

This area is so, so dangerous. The currents are extremely strong as they flow past the relatively narrow inlets.

What a tragedy.

Perhaps kayakers get misled as to the safety of a trip to D'arcy Island by the fact that it's so prominently noted as a kayak and camper-friendly part of the Gulf Islands National Park Reserve, whereas the geographical location is pretty much dead centre of Haro Straight, which as Mike notes above isn't a body of water ever to be taken lightly, regardless of weather predictions.

That 50 or so miles of wide open water to the Southeast of D'arcy Island can generate some huge waves, even on a relatively calm day, and those same winds can shift 360 degrees in a matter of only a few hours.

Tragic outcome.

#938 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 02:31 PM

Cuba apologized to Canada on Wednesday after authorities accidentally delivered the remains of another man to a Canadian family grieving the loss of a loved one who died while vacationing on the Caribbean island in March.

Faraj Jarjour, a Canadian citizen of Syrian descent, died in the Varadero beach resort town two hours east of Havana on March 22.

Weeks later, his family was shocked to find the body of a tattooed man many years younger in the casket delivered from Cuba to a funeral home near Montreal.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-body-1.7183601

Canadian man who died in Cuba mistakenly buried in Russia, family says

Faraj Allah Jarjour's family received body of Russian man after death in Varadero

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ussia-1.7185277

"They're going to un-bury him and send him to Canada," she said. "It's not a good situation, but we don't have a choice. It's not in our control. We can only be patient."

I guess the Russian family never peeked in the box.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 April 2024 - 02:35 PM.

#939 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,018 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 02:37 PM

Mental note: never die in Cuba.

#940 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 02:42 PM

Maybe easier just to be buried where you die. Worked for Jim Morrison.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users