Photo

Missing Persons

• Please log in to reply
905 replies to this topic

#81 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

It seemed obvious to me a couple of weeks ago that she likely made her way onto a logging road somewhere in the Cowichan Valley. I would like to know exactly where the car was found and why it took so long. I thought for sure it would only take a couple of days for searchers to cover every logging road but looking at Google Maps it seems the entire valley is covered in a dense network of logging roads.

Us city folk sometimes forget we are only a tank of gas away from being hopelessly cut off from civilization.

Edited by Rob Randall, 24 July 2018 - 03:33 PM.

• rjag and jonny like this

#82 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

I'm always telling friends who plan on a leisurely circle drive on the Pacific Marine Route from Port Renfrew to Cowichan Lake to pack as if they're going on a potential overnight camping trip.

If you break down on the Pacific Marine Route such that you're the last car over for the day, there's a good chance you'll be getting a good look at what a potential survival situation might look like.

There's also a good chance you'll meet some local wildlife, and if you don't happen to have a light on you ... you'll see what it's like to cast a shadow caused by the illumination of the Milky Way.

It's as dark as dark can get out that way ... as dark as deepest Manning Park.

The Somerset Range (West of Nitnat Lake) and the Seymour Range (South of Cowichan Lake) may not be the tallest mountains in B.C., but they're definitely some of the absolute roughest country in B.C. ... much of it literally impassible.

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:47 AM

Yes, it’s not a joke out there. Many a vehicle has slid off the road edge not to be seen by passing motorists.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

Yes, it’s not a joke out there. Many a vehicle has slid off the road edge not to be seen by passing motorists.

Remember that guy about 10 years ago that pulled up a side logging road at about the half way mark on the Pacific Marine Route because the snow was becoming an issue ... this in order to turn around and head back towards Port Renfrew  ... but it was shoulder season, and there was still tons of snow on the side roads ... snow which he promptly got stuck in.

Being winter, there was little or no traffic on the Marine Route, and he was stuck out there for a few days while the RCMP were searching for him ... with well below freezing temps at night.

Could have easily ended tragically, and it's only a two hour drive from the Inner Harbour.

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

In the winter you can see five, even six feet of snow in the higher elevations. No joke.

Even properly equipped heavy duty 4x4 vehicles can get stuck on those roads. I actually find it somewhat bizarre that when entering the circle route motorists are not in any way advised of the dangers/common practices on those roads, and neither is there informational signage beyond Youbou when you really get into the thick of things and can get easily lost amid a massive network of logging roads.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

Search called off for Gladys Barman;

https://www.saanichn...k-bay-resident/

She couldn't have gone far from her car--exhausted in hot weather and/or darkness in rough territory. I can't see how she could be more than a couple of kilometres away. Unless her car was stolen and the thief dumped it there. Then she could be anywhere.

#87 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:42 PM

Such a sad story, poor lady. What a way to end up. I grew up in the Cowichan Valley and when my dad was in the Kiwanis club (1960s) they had a thing where they were collecting deer hides (no idea why!). Oil drums were set up all over for hunters to put them in and I went with him once to collect some. No idea where we were, but it was a lot of confusing logging roads.

#88 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:35 PM

It was her.

https://www.timescol...nior-1.23396750

#89 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:26 PM

Finally.

11 kilometres--that's like from the Empress Hotel to freaking Elk Lake. Along rough, hot, craggy terrain. 

#90 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:47 PM

Any updates on the Paul Seal missing person case?  It's been over a year.

• Matt R. likes this

#91 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:09 AM

Any updates on the Paul Seal missing person case?  It's been over a year.

He's not "missing", so why join in with the VicPD's disingenuous attempt to find him (on an outstanding warrant) by stating that he is?

VicPD are misusing the "missing person" moniker in Seals case, and making multiple excuses for doing so ... essentially outright lies.

All screwing around with the Seal case by declaring him "missing" instead of "wanted" does is diminish real missing persons cases ... of which there are many in Victoria (and the rest of B.C.) far, far more serious than anything Seal might be involved with.

Edited by Cassidy, 07 July 2019 - 06:17 AM.

#92 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:07 AM

He's not "missing", so why join in with the VicPD's disingenuous attempt to find him (on an outstanding warrant) by stating that he is?

VicPD are misusing the "missing person" moniker in Seals case, and making multiple excuses for doing so ... essentially outright lies.

All screwing around with the Seal case by declaring him "missing" instead of "wanted" does is diminish real missing persons cases ... of which there are many in Victoria (and the rest of B.C.) far, far more serious than anything Seal might be involved with.

Yeah this; pretty certain PS is east of the Ontario-Quebec border, and equally certain the authorities know precisely where he is.....

#93 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:59 AM

How about Vibrant Victoria’s plot to ban him from all conversations? I wasn’t finished my questioning.

Remember the good times: https://youtu.be/z1ix5Wagif8

Edited by todd, 07 July 2019 - 10:27 AM.

#94 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:47 PM

In all seriousness why would Paul want to be exiled from the place that he supposedly “loved“ over a couple of fairly simple charges?

#95 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:27 PM

Oh, sorry, I was going to ask about the Paul Seal manhunt, but that didn't seem quite right.

#96 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:21 PM

If he’s just missing do I still get the bounty?

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:46 AM

There's also no manhunt. He's one of thousands of people who are out of reach of VicPD jurisdiction and there's nothing the police can do about it until he returns. We still don't know what the breach of probation was.

• Cassidy likes this

Know it all.

#98 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:48 AM

Oh, sorry, I was going to ask about the Paul Seal manhunt, but that didn't seem quite right.

He's not missing, nor is he the protagonist in any sort of manhunt.

He's got some minor paper out on him, and he pissed off the cops by continuing to post online ... so the cops declared him "missing" in order to escalate his situation far beyond where it actually should be.

He was also an incredibly well informed and very friendly contributor to this forum, completely undeserving of having any sort of pencil poked in his eye.

• LJ and sebberry like this

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:55 AM

And just adding to my post above, what I meant was he's one of thousands of individuals who are out of the jurisdiction of a local police force that has issued a warrant for an arrest. Police do not actively pursue these individuals unless there is serious criminality involved, and if such is the case, typically they'll secure a Canada-wide warrant.

Know it all.

#100 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:10 AM

There's also no manhunt. He's one of thousands of people who are out of reach of VicPD jurisdiction and there's nothing the police can do about it until he returns. We still don't know what the breach of probation was.

The Seal hunt is a very controversial subject

• Mike K., sebberry and phx like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users