Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8181 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

^ It's continuously postulated here that the CoV is manufacturing congestion in an effort to discourage the use of private motor vehicles.  So the plan would not be for sedberry to use more fuel but for him (and everyone else) to give up and use no fuel.  That's a bold move.  Not as bold as the mere suggestion of parking removal, but bold nonetheless.

#8182 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:08 AM

Multiple studies show that cyclists break fewer laws than car drivers. And pedestrians are about 200 times as likely to be killed by a car as a cyclist, which isn't surprising given that you're about as likely to be killed by a shark as you are a bicycle.

Meanwhile a bunch of right-leaning small government advocates want to impose a new bureaucracy to license cyclists. Go figure.

I dunno. I'm left leaning generally and think some form of cyclist licensing makes sense.
  • Nparker likes this

#8183 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:27 AM

Do you mean the 50m of cheater lane on either side of the intersection that was for busses or impatient drivers to pass on the right? You're calling that 2 lanes?

Yup and it moved a lot more traffic than the current setup. and nothing about impatient drivers....it was a lane with a merge point so whats with the labeling? 

#8184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

Whatever it was, it worked and it worked well. Now you’ve got an empty turning lane as people are constricted at the intersection.

It was perhaps the best example of how zipper merges are so good at keeping traffic flowing, and why motorists are encouraged to zipper merge whenever possible.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8185 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:59 PM

Whatever it was, it worked and it worked well. Now you’ve got an empty turning lane as people are constricted at the intersection.

It was perhaps the best example of how zipper merges are so good at keeping traffic flowing, and why motorists are encouraged to zipper merge whenever possible.

Yup instead of 10-16 cars going through its more like 6 now. So lots more idling...and more unused bike lanes

#8186 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:19 PM

Bike To Work Week started today.

Irony #1: I work from home.

Irony #2: I did have to leave the house today, to go to RJH, to pick up someone, not on a bike.

Traffic was... uneventful.  Either I was late enough in the day (9AM) to avoid it or so many people were biking that the roads were clear.

#8187 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:45 AM

I dunno. I'm left leaning generally and think some form of cyclist licensing makes sense.

Well if we are successful in moving cars from the roads then somebody else is going to have to pay to maintain them. A couple hundred a year per bicycle should help cover the amounts lost due to the gas tax!

#8188 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:43 AM

That blank stare when you cite the source of funding for so many non-vehicular infrastructure projects in our region...
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8189 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

That blank stare when you cite the source of funding for so many non-vehicular infrastructure projects in our region...

I think you would see an extra Hydro tax to maintain roads as more EVs come on board.  I'm not sure how much maintenance has gone into the Galloping goose but I would think very little.  Maintenance $$ per vehicle/bike along there likely looks good.  There is never an end to funding sources Mike :)

#8190 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:05 AM

Your councillors cite “gas tax revenues” so often I’m surprised they haven’t shortened it to GTR by now :)

And it’s not just bike lanes that road taxes fund. The list of wants for that revenue is massive.

Know it all.

#8191 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

Just switch to a GVM+mileage model.  If that doesn't cover the shortfall then raise some other tax or introduce some new one.  I don't know why people fixate on the gas tax like it was the Highlander of taxes (the head-chopping type, not the Toyota).   If the usage paradigm shifts, then so can the funding model.

#8192 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

Just switch to a GVM+mileage model.  If that doesn't cover the shortfall then raise some other tax or introduce some new one.  I don't know why people fixate on the gas tax like it was the Highlander of taxes (the head-chopping type, not the Toyota).   If the usage paradigm shifts, then so can the funding model.

Some states have started doing that, Illinois is considering $1,000 a year tax to own an electric vehicle. https://www.chicagot...0509-story.html

Starts to cut against the value prop for an e-car though, $1,000 US is like 25 tanks of gas for the average car these days.

#8193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:17 AM

Oh it’s coming, and it’s a dirty little secret governments don’t want you thinking about as they entice you into EV’s with subsidies up front but big taxation plans down the road.

Know it all.

#8194 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:22 AM

Starts to cut against the value prop for an e-car though, $1,000 US is like 25 tanks of gas for the average car these days.

The value proposition of an e-car has to stand on it's own someday.  Through a combination of incentives and legislation we should eventually end up pretty much where we are now with ICE cars, just with EVs instead.  This analysis doesn't factor in behaviour changes (e.g. less personal cars).

Oh it’s coming, and it’s a dirty little secret governments don’t want you thinking about as they entice you into EV’s with subsidies up front but big taxation plans down the road.

That's some fine clickbait-style writing, Lou.  :lol:   No Free Lunch is hardly a secret though, is it?  

#8195 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

If you ask EV owners why they’re buying them what do you think is the primary reason?

Know it all.

#8196 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:50 AM

Maximum torque at 0 RPM
  • DustMagnet likes this

#8197 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:33 AM

They changed the light timing at Wharf and Pandora for the westbound bike lane light. When the westbound bike light turns green for going straight west onto the bridge, cyclists are now forced to merge with cyclists taking the left from northbound Wharf onto the bridge. It's a bit of **** show at 5 PM. I realize light timing is a tricky art, but I think this needs to be tweaked...

Update: never mind, I see there's a yield for westbound traffic that includes cyclists.

Edited by Danma, 28 May 2019 - 03:16 PM.

#8198 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

If you ask EV owners why they’re buying them what do you think is the primary reason?

Hmmm, maybe environmental concerns?  Or performance.

Even if some do think they're getting some sort of advantage in the short term it still drives adoption on the way to normalization.

#8199 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:57 AM

If you ask them they'd say gas or environment. The truth is probably desire to appear modern and wealthy.

#8200 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:25 PM

If you ask them they'd say gas or environment. The truth is probably desire to appear modern and wealthy.

Typical of early adopters?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users