VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:54 PM

Read the Twitter feed.

I have.

Here's one:

screenshot-twitter.com-2018.02.13-21-54-15.png

Girls go back to hotel room with band, some choose to hook up, some don't.  Is it a surprise rock stars have lots of sex with willing partners?  I dunno, ask Gene Simmons I guess.  He claims to have slept with an average of over 100 women per year over the last 46 years, since he was 20. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 February 2018 - 10:06 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#282 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

It is a good thing that we did not have #metoo in the 80’s. We would have missed out on a complete genre of music.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#283 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:58 PM

You know, over the 8 years I ran a nightclub I probably booked in 150 different bands. Crazy stuff happens and from what I saw, all sides were willing participants...
  • Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#284 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:17 AM

^Yeah, but underage girls would not be there unless they snuck in.

I believe there are at least three "backstages": the paid meet-and-greet fan events, the real backstage with the managers and assistants and the veggie trays and autographs and then the backstage backstage, where all the real frisky frolics happen.

If I had a 14 year old daughter who told me she was going backstage to see her favourite musician I would say "Good for you! I look forward to standing right beside you when that happens".

• lanforod likes this

#285 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:21 AM

Look at the one account I posted. “We ended up at a hotel” and I waited in the hall while my friend was hooking up with one. Not sure that this was unintended contact. This kind of thing is commonplace with many if not most celebrities, minor or major. It’s not changing anytime soon.

I mean FFS, it brought down the Barensked Ladies guy more than a decade ago. And the BNL guys were hardly young Romeos by the time they became famous. Hedley became relatively famous before they turned 19.

After Rush, BNL and Nickelback and the Hip, they ate the most successful Canadian band ever. Yes, they’re earnings have surpassed BTO and the Guess Who.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 February 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#286 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:44 AM

Look at the one account I posted. “We ended up at a hotel” and I waited in the hall while my friend was hooking up with one. Not sure that this was unintended contact. This kind of thing is commonplace with many if not most celebrities, minor or major. It’s not changing anytime soon.

I mean FFS, it brought down the Barensked Ladies guy more than a decade ago. And the BNL guys were hardly young Romeos by the time they became famous. Hedley became relatively famous before they turned 19.

After Rush, BNL and Nickelback and the Hip, they ate the most successful Canadian band ever. Yes, they’re earnings have surpassed BTO and the Guess Who.

It is commonplace with regular folk as well! I have spent many nights over the years waiting for a friend to "finish up" with someone that they just met at a bar or nightclub.

From what I can tell, NOBODY has come forward to say that they were assaulted by any member of Hedley. What we have are mostly 2nd and 3rd hand accounts from anonymous sources which at the very worst might amount to bad taste or poor judgement. 

Nonetheless, that is enough to merit banning music from the band and warrant trying to have awards and recognition stripped from them. 

#287 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:53 AM

It is sad how, in Canada, some people seem to find sport in finding successful businesspeople, artists and athletes and finding ways to try and "take them down".

In the US however we get people like Shaun White, who has actually been accused by someone with a name of doing some pretty nasty stuff, yet nobody gives a hoot as long as he gets the gold medal!

#288 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

It is sad how, in Canada, some people seem to find sport in finding successful businesspeople, artists and athletes and finding ways to try and "take them down".

In the US however we get people like Shaun White, who has actually been accused by someone with a name of doing some pretty nasty stuff, yet nobody gives a hoot as long as he gets the gold medal!

Vague comments.

• Rob Randall likes this

#289 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

Locally here in Victoria KOOL FM has dropped Hedley completely off their playlist.

#290 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,498 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:07 PM

Not really a fan of the band and think any abuse of power is abuse of power, famous or not. I do however find this social media justice a little concerning. Maybe it’s because my dad was a lawyer, But I believe everyone should have the right to a fair trial. Accusation should not be enough. If any of them sexually assaulted a minor they should be punished for it but this isn’t the right way to do it at all. This is weaponize social media.
  • Midnightly and Cassidy like this

#291 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/be...laims-1.4533268

That’s the end of them as a band. Let’s see if their tour gets cancelled. Will arenas ban them? Now it’s officially national news with the CBC running a story.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 February 2018 - 01:15 PM.

#292 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:41 PM

Maybe it’s because my dad was a lawyer, But I believe everyone should have the right to a fair trial.

But surely your dad knew the small number of men who did this stuff that actually received adequate punishment.

#293 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:00 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/be...laims-1.4533268

That’s the end of them as a band. Let’s see if their tour gets cancelled. Will arenas ban them? Now it’s officially national news with the CBC running a story.

A person who goes by the handle CanadianPsycho has destroyed a band that has devoted 14 years of their lives to not only supporting Canadian music, but also to Canadian charities supporting children and other disadvantaged folk. They will never have an opportunity to face their accuser or challenge any of the claims.

• Cassidy likes this

#294 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:20 PM

IMO the #metoo movement is partially as a result of the failure of the criminal threshold of beyond a reasonable doubt being too high in adequately dealing with these situations.  It may be logical in regards to criminal justice but in the "court of public opinion" a much lower threshold is acceptable in regards to reputation, and therefore this is a good method to get some retribution and also prevent further assaults.  I would generally agree that there is not enough here yet to destroy their reputation but at the same time it's not a good sign for them when a longtime band member leaves last year and then 2 days ago, after the allegations hit, he posts a photo of Kermit sipping tea, appearing to quietly be enjoying/watching the show.

#295 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

IMO the #metoo movement is partially as a result of the failure of the criminal threshold of beyond a reasonable doubt being too high in adequately dealing with these situations.  It may be logical in regards to criminal justice but in the "court of public opinion" a much lower threshold is acceptable in regards to reputation, and therefore this is a good method to get some retribution and also prevent further assaults.  I would generally agree that there is not enough here yet to destroy their reputation but at the same time it's not a good sign for them when a longtime band member leaves last year and then 2 days ago, after the allegations hit, he posts a photo of Kermit sipping tea, appearing to quietly be enjoying/watching the show.

FWIW, that meme of Kermit sipping tea is used to reference watching truth come to light.

• nagel likes this

#296 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

FWIW, that meme of Kermit sipping tea is used to reference watching truth come to light.

Actually it means none of my business which is exactly what you would expect him to say. Truth no longer matters though. If Twitter says it then that is the new truth.

http://knowyourmeme....-of-my-business

So we have the person who is anonymously circulating allegations about the band, falsely claiming that a former member is implying complicity. Sounds a little fishy don't you think?!

Edited by spanky123, 14 February 2018 - 05:58 PM.

#297 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:13 PM

But surely your dad knew the small number of men who did this stuff that actually received adequate punishment.

So Rob here is a scenario for you. You decide to run for council again and are doing well. An opponent makes an anonymous tweet that during your last run "she" worked for your campaign as a volunteer and you acted inappropriately towards her. You quite happy then  to just give up and move on with your life?

The problem is that its all entertainment until it happens to you. (speaking in general and not referring to you Rob).

#298 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,498 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

So you are saying that accusation is enough?

#299 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

Here's the thing. This is a war. The biggest thing since police batons at the lunch counter a half century ago. This war must be fought. There will be collateral damage; it's unavoidable.

It appears the accusations against Patrick Brown are falling apart. This is terrible. He is ruined, and the worst thing he did (apparently) is being a party-hearty horndog a decade ago, no underage girls involved.

The accusations against Garrison Keillor seem suspicious as well. Am I missing any others? 

#300 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

I think a few people will be sued. That might help keep the liars in check.
  • Rob Randall likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users