Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#5301 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:42 AM

A friend of a friend of an acquaintance of mine who I don’t like purchased a Sundial brand Strawberry Twist cannabis 3.5g came with a 62% two way humidity regulator pack already inside.

Why don't you like them?

#5302 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:34 PM

Dirty hipster because I think he may smoke marihuana.
  • DustMagnet likes this

#5303 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,834 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

The director of a popular Island-based marijuana dispensary received a $1.5-million fine months after the dispensaries were shut down by the province.

Near the end of January, Alex Robb, director and general manager of Trees Cannabis, was fined $1.5 million for the sale of illicit marijuana – marking the first known administrative penalty levied to an individual under the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act.

The fine follows a provincial crackdown in late July that saw members of the Community Safety Unit (CSU) – a policing and security branch of the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General – target Trees’ eight locations spread between Victoria, Nanaimo and Vancouver. The dispensary was in the process of obtaining a retail licence when the raids occurred and all cannabis products were seized.

https://www.vicnews....ling-marijuana/

2017:

Trees Dispensary on Yates Street is the only pot dispensary in the city to be successfully rezoned under the city’s new regulations.

https://vancouverisl...nsary-1.3389784

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 February 2020 - 05:25 PM.

#5304 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:49 AM

I am shocked that Trees does not have the money to pay the fine.   I spoke in the past with some of the ex Trees senior employees and the sense I got was is that were rolling in money with no debts.

#5305 BobsUncle

BobsUncle
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:17 AM

“There are significant issues with their process here…I never sold the cannabis, I’m directing the organization,” he says. “I would much rather put this behind me and move on with my life. I need to carefully weigh my options and take a closer look at the evidence.”

I think he's going to be in for a shock when his lawyer tells him what the responsibilities of being the director of a coporation are.

#5306 BobsUncle

BobsUncle
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

I am shocked that Trees does not have the money to pay the fine.   I spoke in the past with some of the ex Trees senior employees and the sense I got was is that were rolling in money with no debts.

They've been shut down since July and just got the fine now. Doubt they saved any money from back then. If they had proper inventory records they would have known the value of their inventory and could have then estimated the fine using the formula. Considering that they chose to stay open after their warning I doubt they took caution with saving for the fine. I'd guess it all went to paying staff for the 2 weeks after they closed suddenly and any thing else probably went to shareholders.

#5307 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:33 AM

I think he's going to be in for a shock when his lawyer tells him what the responsibilities of being the director of a coporation are.

I can not remember how Trees was organized, but a lot of dispensaries organized themselves as non-profit societies well into 2016.  The old school compassion clubs were all organized as non-profit societies and ran as such.  The newer dispensaries operating with the intent to make a profit decided to use the same structure in hopes of being able to be considered to be the same as the compassion clubs.

When I was involved with a dispensary my recommendation was that we do not organize in that manner because the legal liability was a nightmare and the payment to each of the board members of tens of thousands each month was a serious tax nightmare and probably illegal.   

Another reason Trees might not have the money is that they could have been running on a cash only basis with no bank account.   It has been common for many dispensaries to have problems in getting a bank account or keeping one.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#5308 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,834 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:07 AM

Great Opportunity,Huge Secured and fenced cornet lot, approximately 18,000+ sqft located in the Established Sooke Business park. Immediate possession.Marijuana grow area,established Warehouses and Businesses in Neighbourhood,dealing with Marijuana Sales.Located off Otterpoint Rd. 5 Minutes from Sooke Town Core. 

$599,900

23-7450 Butler Rd
Sooke, British Columbia V9Z1N1

https://www.realtor....oke-otter-point

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 February 2020 - 09:08 AM.

#5309 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:36 AM

Cornet lot in the Established Sooke Business Park, located off Otterpoint Rd.

Good lord.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5310 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,834 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:54 PM

Cornet lot in the Established Sooke Business Park, located off Otterpoint Rd.

Good lord.

realtor.ca has never really been much into fixing even obvious typos.  it's so very strange for a customer-facing website to be so rife with errors.  it does not make anyone look very professional. if they are worried about "correcting" something in error they could just employ a system where they reject copy until it's fixed.  that would smarten up the realtors quick enough.

#5311 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:13 PM

^You say that as if there wasn't a highly-paid human being creating the content in the first place. 

#5312 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,834 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:35 PM

^You say that as if there wasn't a highly-paid human being creating the content in the first place. 

despite the high pay the writing does not seem to improve.

#5313 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:49 PM

^They guy's being paid ten grand to present a property in the best possible light. Spend an extra minute to proofread it. Or have your kid proofread it.

Or maybe the Realtor wrote it WHEN HE WAS STONED.

Edited by Rob Randall, 22 February 2020 - 07:50 PM.

#5314 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:48 AM

These listings tend to skew shoddy so you’d need a team of editors working 24 hours a day playing grammar police. I’m more shocked that the landowners don’t seem to care about grammar, spelling and basic literacy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5315 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:25 PM

The time has come for 16:20 if memory serves me correctly the former tenant was the conservative party campaign: https://www.oakbayne...rijuana-seized/
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5316 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,834 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:37 PM

wasn't some woodcrafting business there?

#5317 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:54 PM

Director of new gallery looks to make art accessible to all: https://www.vicnews....essible-to-all/

#5318 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:50 PM

Any word on when the living wall project will break ground? http://victoria.citi.../gateway-green/

Edited by todd, 27 February 2020 - 07:00 PM.

#5319 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

"Another reason Trees might not have the money is that they could have been running on a cash only basis with no bank account.   It has been common for many dispensaries to have problems in getting a bank account or keeping one."

Trees has also opened a restaurant in the old Wille's Bakery. with the declared intent of having a consumption space/edible cuisine when all that's approved..  They would have spent a bundle in there.

#5320 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:11 AM

"Another reason Trees might not have the money is that they could have been running on a cash only basis with no bank account.   It has been common for many dispensaries to have problems in getting a bank account or keeping one."

Trees has also opened a restaurant in the old Wille's Bakery. with the declared intent of having a consumption space/edible cuisine when all that's approved..  They would have spent a bundle in there.

Well if that is the case, that is a complete lack of planning on their part.   They were aware of what they could be on the hook for and should have planned for that and not whined

• E2V likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users