District of Saanich - Mayor and council general discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1208 replies to this topic

#1121 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:38 AM

I did not have issues either but what I do have issue with is that an 'issue' was made by Saanich staff, one week before election day, before advance polls.  All those who voted in advanced polls, who may have been 'swayed' by what Saanich staff did (demanded United for Saanich election brochure stop being given to voters) making it sound like United for Saanich did something really bad.  Left me baffled that people could mistake the material for anything other than election material by candidates, but hey, if they were breaking rules then they needed to point out what rules were broken - they did not do that and then retracted everything AFTER advance poll. I am quoting a reference an officer of the palace guard says after the ghost of the dead king appears, walking over the palace walls - "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark! "

Edited by VIResident, 17 October 2018 - 09:39 AM.

#1122 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:16 AM

A bunch of candidates are at Camosun Lansdowne today (for Saanich, Victotia, Esquimalt and Oak Bay). I might have missed someone but for Saanich it was Taylor, de vris, haynes and Wikson. The first 3 just kind of handed pamflets with Haynes saying he's for transportation and on campus housing while shaking my hand. Wikson meanwhile I had a pretty decent convo with about issues around Saanich and as a student. After this convo and reading his little write-up I actually wish he stood a better chance as I much prefer him to both Haynes and Atwall.

Also his name always escapes me but the other guy running for mayor (I think he ran in all munis last time) had the best write-up. They asked what 3 key issues were and everyone else was long and detailed while his was just 3 words (one was justice but I didn't care enough to remember the rest)
  • Mike K. and John M. like this

#1123 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:39 AM

Election officer will not take action against Saanich slate brochure .  Richard Atwell demands apology from District of Saanich

"Rob Wickson said the whole issue is about Atwell trying to pick a fight with Saanich staff. “He is trying to make it a political fight, and it’s not appropriate,” he said.

Coun. Fred Haynes said he has no comment on the issue

https://www.saanichnews.com/municipal-election/election-officer-will-not-take-action-against-saanich-slate-brochure/

Hows that work Rob Wickson? Saanich staff screw up big time, Atwell holds them accountable but in your eyes it's picking a fight? In these eyes Atwell is demonstrating strong leadership - on behalf of the residents and democracy.  

Edited by VIResident, 17 October 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#1124 johnsonst

johnsonst
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:15 AM

Hows that work Rob Wickson? Saanich staff screw up big time, Atwell holds them accountable but in your eyes it's picking a fight? In these eyes Atwell is demonstrating strong leadership - on behalf of the residents and democracy.  

I have to side with your frustration on this. What we're witnessing is very serious and Saanich still hasn't explained their motivation behind the original demand, or their retraction. I don't know what to say - I'm just shocked.

#1125 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:31 AM

I have to side with your frustration on this. What we're witnessing is very serious and Saanich still hasn't explained their motivation behind the original demand, or their retraction. I don't know what to say - I'm just shocked.

This is an overreach but it is the sort of problem one should always expect as long as local elections are administered by municipal staff who are not experts on the law.   I have seen numerous instances over the years of municipal staff not knowing what their powers are 

1) Last election candidates were told they could not have scrutineers at the vote count

2) In a municipality, the Chief Electoral Officer did not think they had to allow party names on the ballot and said "but there is not enough space on our ballot for the party so it can not go on the ballot"

3) a guy running for a council seat in the interior was told he had to cover his store windows because the business had his name and could be seen from the entrance of the polling station

4) Getting voters lists can be a huge problem

5) Voting can also be a problem if everything is not simple for the polling clerks

What needs to happy in BC is for all local election to be run by Elections BC.   If elections were staggered, 1/4 of them every years, Elections BC could actually keep people qualified to run elections employed full time.

The current set up also ignores a serious confict, the CEO is staff that answers to the council and is not independent 

• lanforod, johnsonst and VIResident like this

#1126 johnsonst

johnsonst
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

I agree with your assessment of the problem and your suggested solution, Bernard.

• Bernard likes this

#1127 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

Here is a video of one of the all candidates meetings

I can not remember how to embed youtube videos

Edited by Bernard, 17 October 2018 - 01:36 PM.

#1128 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:45 PM

^ They say that the memory is the second thing to go.

I forgot what the first thing was.

• Bernard and lanforod like this

#1129 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:10 PM

The letter from Angila Bains is not a retraction, or a withdrawal of the order to stop the distribution. It's simply a statement that Saanich will take no further action on the pamphlets. Why? Because they have no ability to actually do anything about it, beyond some claim of misrepresentation to the courts. And certainly no ability to do anything about it before Saturday. There is no recourse available within the legislation.

Is this a victory for Atwell? Or just another example of what happens when you have a Mayor, who after four years continues to be unable to work productively within the constraints that government provides?

• Bingo likes this

#1130 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:24 AM

This evening the people of Saanich will be celebrating a Victory for Richard Atwell.  

#1131 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:11 AM

It will be close, certainly. Consensus on the doorstep has been overwhelmingly anti slate. With a few odd ducks feeling sorry about the spyware scandal from four years ago. Pity vote for an incumbent mayor casting himself as an outsider is not a very strong strategy though.

#1132 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

A vote for Atwell and United for Saanich is a vote to move Saanich forward.  Unstuck. Progressive.  Onward. Future. Exciting. 

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#1133 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:24 PM

Terrifying. Regressive. Backward.
  • Brantastic likes this

#1134 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:07 PM

Election officer will not take action against Saanich slate brochure .  Richard Atwell demands apology from District of Saanich

"Rob Wickson said the whole issue is about Atwell trying to pick a fight with Saanich staff. “He is trying to make it a political fight, and it’s not appropriate,” he said.

Coun. Fred Haynes said he has no comment on the issue

https://www.saanichnews.com/municipal-election/election-officer-will-not-take-action-against-saanich-slate-brochure/

It's because Rob Wickson is one of Frank Leonard's cronies. They have never stopped trying to go after Atwell for dethroning Frank 4 years ago. Like I said before, they were so SHOCKED when Atwell was elected, and they were so 100% sure that Frank would be re-elected 4 years ago that it caught them completely off guard when it happened and Frank literally threw a child like temper tantrum. As a result a conspiracy within the Faithful and Loyal hand picked and groomed staff of Frank Leonard have been attacking Atwell for the last 4 years as punishment for him  democratically beating out their King and Leader. Frank was Mayor of Saanich for 18 years and a councilor for 10 years before that. His old boys club never left when he did. They have kept working on his behalf against Atwell this whole time.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 20 October 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#1135 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:00 PM

I voted for:
Atwell
Harper
Brice
Newby
Sharma
Burton
Montgomery

Everybody else is either anti development or has too much nonsense in their platforms about "preserving Saanich".

I don't really like Atwell, but Haynes and Wickson bug me.
  • Rob Randall and rjag like this

#1136 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:43 PM

Results here tonight.

https://globalnews.c...-election-2018/

#1137 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:12 PM

It's because Rob Wickson is one of Frank Leonard's cronies. They have never stopped trying to go after Atwell for dethroning Frank 4 years ago. Like I said before, they were so SHOCKED when Atwell was elected, and they were so 100% sure that Frank would be re-elected 4 years ago that it caught them completely off guard when it happened and Frank literally threw a child like temper tantrum. As a result a conspiracy within the Faithful and Loyal hand picked and groomed staff of Frank Leonard have been attacking Atwell for the last 4 years as punishment for him  democratically beating out their King and Leader. Frank was Mayor of Saanich for 18 years and a councilor for 10 years before that. His old boys club never left when he did. They have kept working on his behalf against Atwell this whole time.

If Atwell feels that City staff are still aligned against him after 4 years then he needs to step aside. If the goal is to get relected and then fire another CAO then I think that we aren't going to be able to move forward.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#1138 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:28 PM

Change management :) 

#1139 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:04 PM

^ I’m hoping that both you and Atwell will have new careers tomorrow.

#1140 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:43 PM

If Atwell feels that City staff are still aligned against him after 4 years then he needs to step aside. If the goal is to get relected and then fire another CAO then I think that we aren't going to be able to move forward.

The correct thing to do would be the exact opposite.........Never allow yourself to be BULLIED out of a job by an old boys club. Stand your ground just like he did for the last 4 years, and get re-elected. Get rid of the old guard and then victory is just and full

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 20 October 2018 - 06:46 PM.

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users