Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (99 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (61 votes [61.62%])

Percentage of vote: 61.62%

2. No (26 votes [26.26%])

Percentage of vote: 26.26%

3. Depends (12 votes [12.12%])

Percentage of vote: 12.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#621 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:04 AM

I hadn't noticed Frankies on the sidewalk, but now that you mention it I do recall some construction work taking place around there a few weeks ago.

We'll see if another restaurant goes into Sams Deli space ... based on what I've read, that location has one of the highest rents in town, hard to make a go with food and beverage?

Same goes for Customs House, which I imagine will have rents just as high (or higher) than the old Sams. 

The above two "high rent" scenarios might actually be a good thing, as it portends discouraging "tourist" and "fast food" style restaurants in favour of high-end affairs that will be patronized by locals year-round.

I don't think anything Earls sells is fresh, it's all cooked and packaged in Vancouver. It's really just a fast food joint masquerading as a sit-down restaurant (as they all are, Vancouver Earls included). Only IMO of course, and I have eaten there a few times, as I'm not beyond the Montanas, Milestones, Earls eating experience if I'm in any sort of a hurry to get somewhere after eating.

Look ... I get that there are some sit-down eating spaces on Government Street. They've been there for close to two decades or more in some cases. I get that it would be cool if Government Street had true Eurpean style dining/drinking/coffee type spaces from one end to the other ... hopefully with no fences around the tables and chairs (not sure if fences are a Provincial liquor license "thing", or a COV by-law "thing").

But it's always a weather story in Victoria, no matter how hard you want to believe Government Street is a bustling, busy, pedestrian packed thoroughfare all year 'round. It's simply not that way at all but for a few months in the summertime, and a couple of weeks around Christmas.

Anyway, the above is all just my personal opinion, no need to bust a hump trying to prove me wrong ... I'll believe it when I see it, and you can remind me how wrong I was :)

#622 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,975 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

It’s a weather story everywhere around the world, save for warm locations. The rest of Europe contends with far worse weather than Victoria does and for much longer periods of time. I sat on the Garrick’s patio in January during a sunny and comfortable 7-10C day. It was nice, you just needed a sweater. Sometimes staff will ask you to come inside to order if you want to be out there during less than hospitable conditions but at least they leave it open for those who’d like to sit outside.

I think a May-September trial could work and be fun. At least we’d know how it’s received. But considering how bad the traffic situation has become in downtown Victoria my appetite for a closure to traffic has definitely waned.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#623 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,501 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:44 AM

it's always a weather story in Victoria, no matter how hard you want to believe Government Street is a bustling, busy, pedestrian packed thoroughfare all year 'round. It's simply not that way at all but for a few months in the summertime, and a couple of weeks around Christmas

This. Do people believe further reducing vehicle traffic on Government Street is going to have an effect on seasonal weather patterns?

If the CoV really wants to "improve" the pedestrian experience along Government Street, I'd suggest they extend the current wide sidewalks/landscaping and encourage the sort of businesses that attract people year round on the section of the street from Yates north to Centennial Square or even Chinatown.

• Cassidy likes this

#624 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:50 AM

There really isn't much of a "pedestrian experience" on Government Street currently, that is unless you're looking for a t-shirt featuring a smiling beaver wearing an RCMP Stetson ... or looking to purchase a $15.00 single scoop ice cream cone.

#625 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,325 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

https://www.vicnews....-priority-zone/

“I think we’ve been having the wrong conversation of cars versus no cars,” Helps said. “This isn’t meant to cut cars off, it’s meant to build on Government Street’s strengths, and limit vehicle traffic significantly so it feels your can just wander through a space made for people.”

Is Lisa softening her stance a little?

Geoff Young:

Something better instead of spending money working over and over again on the same five blocks of Government Street that have been working for 40 years is figuring out how to use our resources and planning resources to extend the concept to other streets, and make other streets work as well as gov street

We might find Geoff to be the most moderate on council this year compared to the likes of Together Victoria, but let's not forget is ties to Rob Wickson...

I think before we go and redesign Government Street we need to pour some black-top on Johnson St. The entire road now, from the bridge to Fernwood is a goat trail now from all the construction.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#626 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,501 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:25 AM

...I think before we go and redesign Government Street we need to pour some black-top on Johnson St. The entire road now, from the bridge to Fernwood is a goat trail now from all the construction.

As are about 50% of the streets in the CoV.* Let's face it, this council is never going to direct any additional funds to make things better for those who drive.

*Check out the abysmal recent paving job on Doncaster from North Dairy to Hillside. It looks like it was done by blind drunks in the dark who had never handled asphalt or paint before. I think Oaklands might be the goat trail capital of the CoV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users