Photo

Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#641 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

As Mike mentioned on Facebook over the weekend the Serious Coffee near Mayfair has closed.  I can confirm that there is a new coffee shop operating there by the name of Java Jo's, and it might be operated by the former franchisee of Serious Coffee.

#642 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:35 AM

Geez. It's becoming quicker to list which Serious Coffee locations are actually still open. There's Blanshard/Fisgard, Esquimalt Plaza, Broad St (for now), Millstream Village...

Have any of the up-island locations closed down or is the chain still surviving outside the CRD?

#643 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:43 AM

Geez. It's becoming quicker to list which Serious Coffee locations are actually still open. There's Blanshard/Fisgard...

I'd be a little surprised to see the B/F location close. Most days it does a rip-roaring business with government staff and more recently construction workers from the Hudson projects. At coffee break times the line-ups can be out the door.

#644 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

^unless the site gets redeveloped. Being in an awkward little plaza nearly across the road from future 23 and 25 storey buildings makes me think it won’t necessarily last long.
  • jonny likes this

#645 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

^unless the site gets redeveloped. Being in an awkward little plaza nearly across the road from future 23 and 25 storey buildings makes me think it won’t necessarily last long.

That's possible of course. If I had to guess, the old car lot across from Hudson Walk2 might get developed before the Serious property.

C&B.JPG

#646 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

Have any of the up-island locations closed down or is the chain still surviving outside the CRD?

A couple have, yup.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#647 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

That property certainly has a big 'ol bulls eye on it (along with Yellow Cabs h/q, Innovative Fitness, that little church/community centre and that weird pharmacy). 

#648 BasementFM

BasementFM
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:26 PM

Went to A Kinder Cup for the first time the other day.  It's in the Admiral's Walk plaza, I think it was a Moka House before.  Cups seemed small but could be a visual thing.  Good coffee for sure, though.  

#649 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:23 AM

That property certainly has a big 'ol bulls eye on it (along with Yellow Cabs h/q, Innovative Fitness, that little church/community centre and that weird pharmacy).

I think that at least the cafe portion of this building is on the Heritage Registry but not protected. I know when McDonald's went in there they were stopped from making some changes by the city at the time. I would hope they could find a way to kid some of the special elements like the cafe portion, if it ever was redeveloped.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#650 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

Sign up now for Bakeology Cafe, spotted at building attached to the Amica old folks home - Gorge / Admirals 

(Stick in the mud is great! )

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 12.29.35.png
  • 20190317_095553.jpg

#651 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:12 PM

Would bakeology refer to anything in particular, or literally baked goods?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#652 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:51 PM

Hm, someone didn't have their coffee today.

Coffee n' Friends has taken over the old Capricorn Coffee location at Fort and Quadra. Unlike the previous operator this time it is open in the morning. It is also good if you like drinking coffee semi-underground.

I’ve seen a lot of dumb marketing strategies in my time, but the new operators may have set a new mark for WTF-ness. Nevermind they took over a poor location, but since opening they have a super annoying inflatable arm waving tube man thing directly beside the front door. Being right against the building amplifies the noise of the extremely noisy wind fan - who in their right mind would think.. “ah, this seems like a good place to go for a nice cup of Joe”. I came out of the Y the other day and could hear it from there... Yes, a windy man downtown will really bring in the customers.. hipsters love that eh... Discovery Coffee must be shaking in their boots.

And yet, here I am talking about a place I’ve never bothered to enter... but still never will.

#653 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

Ok, while I’m feeling ranty - can’t wait for Harris Dodge Jeep to leave downtown. I think they’re going for a historical car lot vibe - perhaps to attract those who fondly remember buying their first car in the 1970s.

Building looks like crap, the individual salesperson (pretty sure they’re all men ) desks are messy, with newspaper clippings, individual sales targets pinned up and visible from the street. You’ll often see the salespeople out front having a smoke, but worst of all is their excessive use of stupid balloons. I wonder how many birds, great white sharks and elephants those things have killed over the years. Look up into the trees in front and you’ll see some deflated ones in the trees.
  • Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#654 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:15 PM

I don’t know. sometimes I smile at their old school street marketing,

#655 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:36 PM

Maybe in another twenty years it’ll be charming. Forgot to mention their Super Bright Plug In LED sign on the corner of Yates and Cook which no doubt breaks some city bylaw. To bring it back to this thread topic I bet they use Folgers to make coffee in an old pot on the stove in the staff room. Not sure if they still have the old school ‘calendars’ on the wall...
  • Mike K. likes this

#656 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:54 PM

I bet they use Folgers to make coffee in an old pot on the stove in the staff room. Not sure if they still have the old school ‘calendars’ on the wall...

I picture an old leased 1980s coffee maker with vinyl woodgrain trim with second-hand Bunn glass carafes that don't quite fit perfect and a coffee service sticker on the side for a company that went out of business in the 90s but they never picked up the machine and it's still there to this day.

• zoomer, Nparker, Bob Fugger and 1 other like this

#657 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:39 PM

I wonder how many birds, great white sharks and elephants those things have killed over the years. Look up into the trees in front and you’ll see some deflated ones...

Dead & deflated elephants stuck up in the trees? Does the CoV know about this? Those trees sound like they've earned the chop.

#658 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:08 PM

Dead & deflated elephants stuck up in the trees? Does the CoV know about this? Those trees sound like they've earned the chop.

Dude, the trees in this block can’t handle the weight of these beasts! Thank god the vultures clean up the mess - and I’m not referring to the salesmen.

31714919518_eeb00d9d15_c.jpgReally Bad Haircut by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

#659 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:14 AM

hard to know how that tree survives. let alone fights climate change. seeing as someone has cut off every leaf bearing limb. time for a full chop.

#660 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:13 AM

The rewards program is centred on visits, which must involve a purchase of $0.50 or more, and can’t be within half an hour of each other. After seven visits, customers get a free coffee or tea at any size, or a baked good (except Timbits and bagels).

Instead of a paper card, the rewards program will be offered on the Tim Hortons mobile app as well as on a plastic, reusable swipe card — giving Tim Hortons a wider window into customer buying habits.

https://business.fin...ore-than-coffee

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users