Photo

Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#701 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:41 AM

^This is a good idea. Mayne Island also has a commemorative Japanese Garden which is well worth seeing if you're on the island.

https://www.mayneisl...japanesegarden/

#702 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:15 AM

^-- The Mayne Island Japanese garden is lovely. Toured through there when visiting the island back in June.

#703 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:39 AM

The coffee shop at the corner of Fort and Quadra (first floor/basement of the office building) is closed (again).  There's a large banner stating:  "Opening soon under new ownership!".  

Hopefully the new ownership can turn around (or at least stabilize) the cafe operation...

#704 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 September 2019 - 11:54 PM

^ If what opens is another coffee shop that'll be at least the fourth different one in that site.

I used to stop by there now and then in its 'Capricorn' iteration but for some reason never went into the latest version.

#705 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:43 AM

It's never been open in the morning, which is weird for a coffee shop.

• Matt R. likes this

#706 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

To not great surprise in the neighbourhood, Coffee Lab on Bridge St is now closed.

Owner tried to sell but appears that didn't happen.

#707 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:40 PM

To not great surprise in the neighbourhood, Coffee Lab on Bridge St is now closed.

Owner tried to sell but appears that didn't happen.

That’s too bad; maybe the space was too big?

#708 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

Not a very good location for a coffee shop. Very little walk up traffic. One can drive traffic to an odd location of course but owner didn't seem to have the social media skills for that. Check out the dates of the last social media posts.

As commented about another coffee shop that failed, this one also wasn't open early in the morning in the beginning. 

Don't think they were ever able to build the wholesale business which would have supported the store front.

Add to that the problem with getting staff.

In the last few months, one never knew if when you went there whether they would be open, even though their published hours said they should be.

#709 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,348 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Not a very good location for a coffee shop. Very little walk up traffic. One can drive traffic to an odd location of course but owner didn't seem to have the social media skills for that. Check out the dates of the last social media posts.

july and october 2018.

i know some business owners don't think they need to remind their loyal customers about them.  but walmart and mcdonalds both advertise extremely heavily.

#710 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:35 PM

Bridge closure there likely didn't help. It was a cool space and good coffee when I went in.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#711 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:40 AM

I just noticed a new coffee shop, Saint Cecilia, on Lower Yates yesterday evening; has anyone tried it out?

Note that Regus now has operations there; I think this is their second location downtown (after the Atrium).

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 21 October 2019 - 12:12 PM.

#712 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:50 AM

An upside down coffee shop should at least attract the curious.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#713 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:06 AM

Someone has taken over the Coffee Lab space on Bridge St. Windows papered over, trades coming and going. No idea what it will be. 

#714 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:05 PM

Would that coffee shop be in the former Love’s Gallery space?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#715 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:05 PM

Nice little piece on the history of Java coffee house, now the location of Trees restaurant.

https://islandist.ca...eative-misfits/

Matt.
  • Rob Randall and RoadRunner like this

#716 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:15 PM

Would that coffee shop be in the former Love’s Gallery space?

It was most recently Saaz restaurant, but yes- it was in the same building as Love's Gallery (Love's was on the left side of the street level frontage whilst Saaz was on the right).

PS- couldn't figure out how to edit the upside down photo using the tools here, sorry about that ! 

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 21 October 2019 - 12:17 PM.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#717 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

....PS- couldn't figure out how to edit the upside down photo using the tools here, sorry about that ! 

I liked it upside down.  :)

#718 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:21 PM

P'raps I've missed it elsewhere, but Starbucks at Tuscany is closed, and the windows are papered over.  there's a small sign on the door re-directing one to the Starbucks at Shelbourne Plaza, but that's shut/papered also?  Anecdotally, the SB's at Quadra/Mackenzie is also shut?

Any intel?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#719 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:30 PM

Some of the Starbucks (e.g. the one in Broadmead Village) are doing lengthy renovations, could this be what's happening here?

#720 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

The Starbucks at Shelbourne Plaza has moved into the space formerly occupied by Lizzie Lee and Me.  It's a lot bigger than their previous spot.  The Tuscany location closed the same day the new Shelbourne space was opened, and I heard rumours it would be closing so I don't think it will reopen. 

P'raps I've missed it elsewhere, but Starbucks at Tuscany is closed, and the windows are papered over.  there's a small sign on the door re-directing one to the Starbucks at Shelbourne Plaza, but that's shut/papered also?  Anecdotally, the SB's at Quadra/Mackenzie is also shut?

Any intel?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users