Photo

Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#741 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:41 PM

The Starbucks at UVic probably sapped most of their student business. Plus there’s one across the street at Save On.

#742 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 01:35 PM

Yeah I think the area was pretty saturated with more locations at Shelbourne Plaza, Torquay Village and Cadboro Bay.

#743 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 02:02 PM

That makes sense for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#744 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:56 PM

Apparently a brazen thief stole the money from the employee tip jar at the Serious Coffee in Sooke:  https://www.cheknews...n-sooke-633100/

#745 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:33 AM

So it's not Victoria, but Starbucks will be testing a new concept in Toronto: Starbucks Pickup. No seating, no merch display, no cashier, only mobile ordering for pick up. 

• Matt R. likes this

#746 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

Sooke's Serious Coffee is for sale at $299,000, dropped from $345,000 when it hit the market last fall. I suspect the current owners may want to hedge their bets prior to the opening of the upcoming Tim Hortons across the street.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#747 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:02 PM

The Broad Street Serious Coffee has closed permanently, according to a sign in the window - and the windows are all papered up. The sign thanks patrons for sixteen years of patronage, and suggests visiting the Blanshard/Fisgard and Esquimalt Plaza locations. I don't know how long the place has been closed as I've not been there in some time, though I recall an impending closure being alluded to previously.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#748 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

Do we have a running list of closures now?

- James Bay
- Douglas at Finlayson
- Cook Street Village
- Broad Street

I’m starting to forget now.

Know it all.

#749 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

^Cook and Fort.

#750 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:32 PM

Oak Bay Ave closed sometime in the last couple of years, and Fort/Foul Bay a few years before that.

#751 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:42 PM

Wow, that’s seven now and the Sooke location is for sale.

Know it all.

#752 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:02 PM

The Blanshard & Fisgard location seems to be doing OK.

#753 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:35 PM

^-- probably doing fine due to customers out of the government offices nearby. I do wonder how much business it gets on weekends, though there are (and will be) lots of residences nearby on the side streets and in the nearby towers.

I seem to recall there used to be one in Nanaimo opposite from the hospital.

#754 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

Sad, as I always found Serious had the best coffee.  Doubt I'll ever get to the Blanshard-Fisgard one though, just nowhere near my beaten track. :)

#755 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:41 PM

Cafe 1891 is down to being open just Friday-Sunday, 10-6. I asked about this when I went in today and he said that it's very quiet in the winter and that they're planning on doing interior improvements on the days it is closed.

#756 catfluff

catfluff
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:24 PM

The Blanshard & Fisgard location seems to be doing OK.

The Sidney one on Beacon is still there.

#757 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,961 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:13 PM

Cafe 1891 is down to being open just Friday-Sunday, 10-6. I asked about this when I went in today and he said that it's very quiet in the winter and that they're planning on doing interior improvements on the days it is closed.

that's a bit strange.

#758 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,961 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:49 AM

$169k

Yates Coffee Bar is a stylish, modern downtown coffee and espresso bar offering a variety of desserts, fresh fruits, baked goods, locally roasted coffee, milk tea and sparkling drinks. Crepe cakes and other desserts are first of its kind in Victoria. The business has loyal and regular customers. High traffic area in central downtown. Located on Yates side of St. Andrew's Square, a great gathering spot for all the office staff of the building and residential and commercial community in surrounding area. Couple of steps from the View Street City Public Parking, with one hour free parking for clients. Come make this your Destined Coffee Bar! 

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

#759 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:18 AM

That sounds oddly low

#760 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:21 AM

I was at the Serious Coffee in Esquimalt over the weekend and it was doing a bustling business; I noticed that, unlike the (closed) Cook Street location, many of its bakery items are baked fresh in-house...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)