Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:39 PM

happily driving past gas stations since dec. 2017  :1954_dancing:

• Matt R. and LeoVictoria like this

#4862 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:26 AM

Record Tesla Q3 revenue, record profits. Remember all the wacky predictions in this thread about how they were on the verge of bankruptcy and $275 a share was insanely overpriced? Well they seem to be doing better than ever, and one share costs $2100 (probably overpriced, but it is what it is)

Except they were on the verge of bankruptcy, the stock was over priced, and fell to $175 after your buy call at $275, and months later their fortunes changed and the massive buy-up began as the company turned a corner many assumed they never would. A lot of people jumped when it fell below $200, but hindsight is always 2020.

Nio was at $1.75 then, too. Today it’s at $28. I think the moral of this story is we should follow our own advice more often, and retire early.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4863 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:06 AM

Speaking of EV investment plays, Leo, what’s your take on Nikola? The company says it wants to self-finance. Its shares are grinding away in the low 20s after hitting 90s.

If they have a chance at releasing a vehicle $20s feels like a decent entry, unless there’s obvious trouble ahead. Self-financing could be a bonanza or a quick end to the company.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4864 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:39 PM

Saw a Fisker Karma driving by the other day. Can't be many of those around.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4865 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:37 PM

Saw a Fisker Karma driving by the other day. Can't be many of those around.

There are at least two in town. I see a white one and a black one occasionally. They're not fully electric, though. They can do like 50KM electric driving before the gas engine kicks in.
  • LJ likes this

#4866 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,082 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:13 AM

Our current car will be the last one we ever own.  In 5 years autonomous cars will be commonplace, which will remove all incentive to own one.   Want a car?  Just connect your smartphone calendar to the next gen Uber service and an autonomous car will come by to pick you up at the right time.   

how did this work out?

in other news:

You might think that Nissan, the first car-maker to achieve widespread success with a zero-emissions electric vehicle, cares deeply about the environment. But Clayton Brander isn't so sure. 

Three years ago, the Powell River, B.C., resident chose to buy a used 2013 Nissan Leaf, motivated by a keen interest in sustainability. 

"I love the car," he said. "Honestly, in three years and 40,000 kilometres, I've replaced a set of tires and windshield wiper fluid. Nothing breaks down. It's a fantastic little vehicle. I think electric vehicles are the way to go."

But nowadays, instead of being able to drive the 120 km that 2013 Leafs could initially go on a full charge, Brander can't get much more than 80 km. He has even become hesitant about turning on the heat or window defroster, since using those features require battery power and will reduce his driving range even further.  

Brander always knew that batteries lose capacity over time, and he figured it wouldn't be a problem getting a new one. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ttery-1.5769998

• lanforod likes this

#4867 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,082 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:29 AM

Italy’s most famous small city car, the Fiat 500, hasn’t just gone fully electric for 2021 — it’s also gained a third door. Released alongside the hatchback and cabriolet in three different trim specifications, the Fiat 500 Electric 3+1 offers customers something even more unique and interesting to the already playful supermini, all while harking back to the original 1957 design.

Fiat has added a third door to the passenger side at the rear, opening up to give drivers and their passengers better access into the small car. Opening in the opposite direction — like a Rolls-Royce — the “500 aims to remain alongside customers who have changed their habits and requirements, but not their taste.”

https://hypebeast.co...-car-first-look

#4868 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:46 AM

You might think that Nissan, the first car-maker to achieve widespread success with a zero-emissions electric vehicle, cares deeply about the environment. But Clayton Brander isn't so sure. 

I hate hearing stories like that and it's insane that the logical thing to do is trash a perfectly fine 2013 car just because the battery is running down.

I think the key is in how he describes how he's only bought windshield washer fluid. He's barely spent a dime at the dealership, which is what funds the dealer, not so much the car's markup price.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4869 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:02 AM

“Elon Musk has once again called for an end to lockdown measures intended to slow the spread of COVID-19. The Tesla CEO has been one of the most high-profile critics of lockdown and has repeatedly downplayed the pandemic over the past several months.” But that’s not the most interesting part of the article. What is most interesting is how many words are dedicated to discrediting this position with word salad I especially like the mention of Eugenics since I have yet to see that mentioned in a Gates article and he is THE Eugenicist of our day.
com/elon-musk-covid-lockdown-great-barrington-declaration-

#4870 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,082 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:24 AM

better link:

https://www.newsweek...aration-1540200

#4871 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:31 AM

Thanks.

#4872 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:04 AM

Rolls Royce? I guess that’s a lot sexier than referring to millions of Ford trucks with suicide doors behind the driver, *and* passenger doors.
  • lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#4873 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:56 AM

I hate hearing stories like that and it's insane that the logical thing to do is trash a perfectly fine 2013 car just because the battery is running down.

I think the key is in how he describes how he's only bought windshield washer fluid. He's barely spent a dime at the dealership, which is what funds the dealer, not so much the car's markup price.

I've lost range on my battery too from approx 383 km brand new to 360 km but it is still 160 km more than I need on any particular day so even if my battery dropped to 300 km the car would still be perfectly functional for me. I have 3 yrs left on my battery warranty (8 years total) and then I am dumping the car. Actually, I hope the battery dies in year 7 and I can get a new one under warranty :)

And yes lack of maintenance is insane...I am approaching 175,000 km and still on the original brake pads.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4874 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:01 AM

Have you had to replace the tires at all, Marko? I heard that tires tend to go faster on these vehicles, but I don't fully understand the reasoning why other than maybe they're designed with less rolling resistance but that means they don't last as long.

And what constitutes eligibility for the battery warranty, or what is the threshold for a dead battery?

Know it all.

#4875 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:28 AM

Have you had to replace the tires at all, Marko? I heard that tires tend to go faster on these vehicles, but I don't fully understand the reasoning why other than maybe they're designed with less rolling resistance but that means they don't last as long.

It's torque availability during acceleration: EVs have 100% immediately, ICEs build up gradually. Weight can also be factor, as EVs are often heavier than the comparable ICE (but not always!).

• Mike K. likes this

#4876 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:06 PM

I've lost range on my battery too from approx 383 km brand new to 360 km but it is still 160 km more than I need on any particular day so even if my battery dropped to 300 km the car would still be perfectly functional for me. I have 3 yrs left on my battery warranty (8 years total) and then I am dumping the car. Actually, I hope the battery dies in year 7 and I can get a new one under warranty :)

So what happens to that Tesla? They replace the battery and resell it? 

I hate to think all electric cars are like iPhones, you use them for a few years and chuck 'em out.

Edited by Rob Randall, 26 October 2020 - 12:07 PM.

• dasmo likes this

#4877 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:26 PM

Exactly. Theoretically our government would be regulating the requirement for recycling NOW! It's all about the carbon but toxic pollution is the less abstract threat. "Lithium mining, needed to build the lithium ion batteries at the heart of today's EVs, has also been connected to other kinds of environmental harm. There have been mass fish kills related to lithium mining in Tibet, for example. The freshwater supply is being consumed by mines in South America's lithium-rich region. Even in North America, where mining regulations are strict, harsh chemicals are used to extract the valuable metal."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...print-1.5394126

rockwood-lithium-plant.jpg

#4878 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:31 PM

EVs are also built out of materials that are difficult if not nearly impossible/unviable to recycle, like various plastics and carbon fibre.

Know it all.

#4879 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:10 PM

I haven't heard of any issues on Teslas driven normally with normal wheels. If you gave me a BMW M5, Audi S7 or a Panorama with 21'' wheels I don't think the tires would last any longer. Huge tires & huge HP = tires suffer. 

Telsa's with 18''s and 19''s do just fine on tire wear but I love my 21''s too much.

I am on my 4th set....getting about 55k-60k out of them. Could probably squeeze out 70k but with the kind of power that car has I don't want to screw around in rain on crap tires. 

Edited by MarkoJ, 26 October 2020 - 01:14 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#4880 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:14 PM

And what constitutes eligibility for the battery warranty, or what is the threshold for a dead battery?

Car throws some sort of code and won't drive? According to the Tesla forums. 

Tough to claim it on degradation. You would need to drive over 500,000 km to get beyond a 15% drop.

Keep in mind this is 5 year old battery technology. Just keeps getting better and better. 

Edited by MarkoJ, 26 October 2020 - 01:15 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users