Photo

[Fairfield] Mount Edwards Court | Low Barrier Housing

• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#101 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:21 PM

...there's an empty Baptist Housing building on my block that would make a great supportive housing facility...

Does anyone know if Cool-Aid has looked into this property?

#102 Alan Rycroft

Alan Rycroft

Victoria Cool Aid Society

• 31 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC Canada

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:29 PM

I have not once said I do not want more of these services dumped on my lap. That is factually incorrect for you to state. I also have not presented the 800-block as being rosy. I actually described it as being crowded with people on steps, in line for cheques, and waiting outside Our Place. Doesn't sound so rosy to me. I even said how ugly it looks. So please try to read what I'm actually saying instead of reading between the lines. You'd be much better served in this conversation if you did so.

In fact, there's an empty Baptist Housing building on my block that would make a great supportive housing facility. I am being and have been perfectly up front in my two posts. I like where I live. Would I be opposed to more supportive housing in my neighborhood? No. Do I believe that spreading these services through the downtown core is beneficial? Yes. How my suggestion that spreading out services equals me being against these services in my area is beyond me.

If you are referring to Central Care Home on Johnson Street as the empty Baptist Housing Building, it will interest you to know that Cool Aid tried for years to purchase this building for supportive housing but Baptist Housing would not sell. Hence Mount Edwards Court.  -- Alan Rycroft

• shoeflack likes this

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:19 PM

If you are referring to Central Care Home on Johnson Street as the empty Baptist Housing Building, it will interest you to know that Cool Aid tried for years to purchase this building for supportive housing but Baptist Housing would not sell. Hence Mount Edwards Court.  -- Alan Rycroft

Was that while the Central Care Home was still in use? Has the Baptist Housing society been approached since the property has been empty? Could the facility be leased by Cool-Aid if not outright purchased?

#104 Alan Rycroft

Alan Rycroft

Victoria Cool Aid Society

• 31 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC Canada

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

Was that while the Central Care Home was still in use? Has the Baptist Housing society been approached since the property has been empty? Could the facility be leased by Cool-Aid if not outright purchased?

We talked with Baptist Housing, and many others, for years before it closed... and tried to purchase it while/after it closed too. However, Baptist Housing intends to redevelop it and were therefore unwilling to sell it to Cool Aid. No -- it's not available for lease either, not that a lease would work for long-term, permanent supportive housing.

#105 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:35 PM

However, Baptist Housing intends to redevelop it and were therefore unwilling to sell it to Cool Aid.

Baptist housing stock just went up in my books

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

I believe even Dave Chard tried to acquire that property.

Alan, any details as to what they're planning to build there?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:13 PM

For freaks sake. The highest bidder will always take it. It's not like the Baptists said Cool Aid or Chard were excluded from buying.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

If they're not selling then there is no highest bidder.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#109 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

There are film crews on site at the Central Care Home pretty regularly, and the area police dogs were even there the other day doing what appeared to be some indoor/urban training. Baptist must be making a couple bucks on the site here and there, enough to allow them to hold out for now on selling anyways.

#110 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

There are rumors flying around, from very reliable sources, that the BC Provincial government has bought the Mount Edwards Court building. If so, it means NO rezoning process, as the Province is exempt from municipal zoning laws. Good-by democracy. Hello Marxism. And all with zero public consultation. If true, everyone should pause in somber reflection. If it happens here it could happen next to your local school.

• RFS likes this

#111 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

So they would lease it to cool aid?

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

There are rumors flying around, from very reliable sources, that the BC Provincial government has bought the Mount Edwards Court building. If so, it means NO rezoning process, as the Province is exempt from municipal zoning laws. Good-by democracy. Hello Marxism. And all with zero public consultation. If true, everyone should pause in somber reflection. If it happens here it could happen next to your local school.

Can you speak to the nature of the sources, VPO? Are they affiliated with local housing orgs, a government, or the community association?

Know it all.

#113 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

Marx did write heavily about zoning and homeless shelters, it's true.  Putting "hard to house" homeless shelters next to elementary schools while ignoring local opposition is actually a key aspect of the labour theory of value.

When I first read the news/rumour I was hoping it meant the province had bought it thus preventing cool-aid from buying it.  We're thinking the province has bought it on behalf of cool-aid??  Maybe the province has other plans?  Restore it to a nursing home?

Well the great thing about renting is that I can leave any time the neighbourhood goes to ****.  Almost feel bad for all the new condos in the area built on pre-sales.  Bet those are some pretty unhappy "investors".

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#114 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:42 PM

Can you speak to the nature of the sources, VPO? Are they affiliated with local housing orgs, a government, or the community association?

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, its from the transaction  side, verified by the legislative side, reinforced by a recent update on Cool Aid's site, and a news story from Chris Coleman in today's news concerning  the campers.

This is 99.99% happening.

Edited by VicPushedOver, 31 January 2016 - 09:45 PM.

#115 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

Marx did write heavily about zoning and homeless shelters, it's true.  Putting "hard to house" homeless shelters next to elementary schools while ignoring local opposition is actually a key aspect of the labour theory of value.

When I first read the news/rumour I was hoping it meant the province had bought it thus preventing cool-aid from buying it.  We're thinking the province has bought it on behalf of cool-aid??  Maybe the province has other plans?  Restore it to a nursing home?

Well the great thing about renting is that I can leave any time the neighbourhood goes to ****.  Almost feel bad for all the new condos in the area built on pre-sales.  Bet those are some pretty unhappy "investors".

If you do not get the Marx references,  then you really do not understand Lisa Helps, or Marx, or both.

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, its from the transaction  side, verified by the legislative side, reinforced by a recent update on Cool Aid's site, and a news story from Chris Coleman in today's news concerning  the campers.

This is 99.99% happening.

Thank you.

Know it all.

#117 attica

attica
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

It already didn't need a rezoning process.... why are people struggling with that so much. Its just a simple BP for internal renovations. The zoning definitions do not discriminate between residential hospital/nursing uses just because someone may be homeless and suffer from addiction vs elderly and suffer from dimentia. Cool-Aid would of 100% confirmed this with the city before ever putting the site under contract

Edited by attica, 01 February 2016 - 10:29 AM.

• Rob Randall and Jill like this

#118 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

^ And if that's the case, the only thing the city would be consulting on would be whether to provide funding or not.

#119 edvictoria

edvictoria
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

This is a direct quote from an e-mail correspondence with Mayor Lisa Helps concerning the Mount Edwards property:

"No one seems to have pointed out the fact that if a non-profit operator buys the building and wants to turn it into housing, there is a rezoning process to go through, which is a very public process with lots of opportunity for public input based on an actual plan. If someone like the province or the federal government were to buy it, they are not subject to municipal zoning and could use it for short term purposes as is. Even in that instance, in the long term for more permanent use, it would also go through a rezoning process."

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the rezoning process on this property. 

• Nparker likes this

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

There we have it.

Thanks, EdVictoria.

• edvictoria likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)