427 replies to this topic

#141 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

Opposition group has a website up now:

http://www.mountedwa...s.com/partners/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#142 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

Cool Aid is not renovating the site, the only action on site last week, was removing old beds and furniture. Which would be in-line with making preparations to close on the property sale in a month. Cool Aid's offer was accepted, contingent on sourcing the appropriate funding, and will close at the end March if all goes as planned. I don't think a second buyer (The province) can swoop in and purchase the property, without Cool Aid folding on it's offer first. Baptist Housing is just cleaning out their property. If for some reason BC Housing has given the money to Cool Aid, and they consider using this as temporary shelter, similar to the boys and girls club, I would consider this a better case scenario for the school, than permanent low barrier housing, that allows for on-site drug use. One being that it would be temporary, and 2 being that the boys and girls club has strict regulations placed on it, in order to operate so closely to Central Middle School. Parents shouldn't panic and pull their children, if a temporary (say 4 month) facility is erected, with similar restrictions imposed as the Our place boys and girls club shelter, this would be more manageable than their first proposal.

Why would BHS be cleaning up the property now, isn't that something you would want to do before trying to sell the property? Lets be clear, Cool Aid is definitely renovating the site. I live close to the site, I see what goes on there everyday. First came the hazmat crews and refuse haulers, then came the building inspectors, today there were electrical contractors and fire alarm contractors,  i talked to them personally. they said they were hired by Cool Aid.

The picture taken form a previous poster, clearly show that they are setting up a fire alarm system. BTW, this is private property, you just can't just walk in, who ever took the picture is either a contractor, or a Cool Aid Employee.

If Cool Aid found a buyer,and put up all the required funding, and agreed that Cool Aid should be the service provider, why wouldn't they agree to step aside.

Would you tolerate a higher potential risk to the safety and security of your child.

I agree if the temp shelter goes in, whoever manages it,  will bend over backward to ensure the safety of the kids, but what happens after that PR period ends, what then ?

#143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Something is afoot. This was just (I believe) posted to Cool-Aid's website

In the past week, there has been a very positive development for the Mount Edwards proposal, which for reasons of confidentiality, Cool Aid is unable to share at this time. We are expecting that a full  announcement will be made in the very near future so please stay tuned.

This page (CoolAid.org/mtedwards) will be updated after the announcement and will remain the go-to page for information from Cool Aid about Mount Edwards Court.

- https://coolaid.org/...t-edward-court/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#144 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:20 PM

So there will be a news release today?

There will not be a news release on ownership until all the paperwork is done.They can hide the process, but they can't hide a title change. 

Edited by VicPushedOver, 01 February 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#145 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

There is not a renovation going on at this building. It is more like a re-decoration.

1002 corridor.jpg

This building is actually suited very well for the purpose of housing. The rooms are small but they each have a nice bathroom and a window.

1002 Room.jpg

There is a massive commercial kitchen in the basement. Way better than a tent. 

How did you gain access to the interior of the Mount Edwards Court? Are you part of the fire alarm crew, a Cool Aid employee, or an interior decorator ?

#146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:33 PM

Sounds like there have been quite a number of people inside this property in recent days.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#147 attica

attica
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

Interesting, looks like there changes are minor enough to not even warrant a BP. 

To the previous comment about why BHSA would be cleaning up now, it is not uncommon for such terms to be stipulated in the purchase contract. They would of waited until now, because they are closer to the closing date. They wouldn't want to start until as late as possible in case the buyer is unable to meet their conditions. In these contracts usually both parties have several conditions they much satisfy before the closing date.

That said, I'm not saying that is the case here. If someone (be it the government or cool-aid) has closed on the site all the better.

#148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

New information has been supplied to VV in confidence that appears to corroborate information relating to the provincial government's involvement with this facility. More to come.

Know it all.

#149 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:01 PM

I just got off the phone with a City of Victoria councillor and can share the following information regarding Mount Edwards.

The councillor has confirmed that the City of Victoria's position on the zoning is that yes, a rezoning would be required for the proposal as initially outlined by Cool-Aid as the current zoning and how it pertains to Cool-Aid's proposal could be legally challenged.

The councillor also stated that, according to his or her understanding of the announcement scheduled for later this week, the parents whose children attend the Anglican school should find the soon-to-be-announced proposal far more acceptable and easier to handle than Cool-Aid's original proposal.

• Rob Randall, jonny and nagel like this

Know it all.

#150 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

Thanks Mike.
  • Mike K. likes this

#151 edvictoria

edvictoria
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:24 PM

I just got off the phone with a City of Victoria councillor and can share the following information regarding Mount Edwards.

The councillor has confirmed that the City of Victoria's position on the zoning is that yes, a rezoning would be required for the proposal as initially outlined by Cool-Aid as the current zoning and how it pertains to Cool-Aid's proposal could be legally challenged.

The councillor also stated that, according to his or her understanding of the announcement scheduled for later this week, the parents whose children attend the Anglican school should find the soon-to-be-announced proposal far more acceptable and easier to handle than Cool-Aid's original proposal.

That's similar to the response mentioned in the e-mail I read from the Mayor. I do think that if a new proposal is made with similar conditions to the temp. boys and girls club shelter (around the clock security, and larger staffing ratios), and it being temporary (4 months) this would be a huge improvement to the original plan. A temporary shelter is the better case scenario for the school. I was told that even if the temporary shelter wants to become permanent, it would have to go through rezoning. I don't know how valid this information on rezoning is, as someone has previously mentioned, it all depends on who you talk to at City Hall! 

My concern is that even if all the safety measures are in effect, parents will ultimately not choose to pay to place their child in any perceived danger, real or not, and I certainly don't fault them for that. Look at what happened to St. Andrews a few blocks away after Our Place was opened. The school will be forced to let go of a lot of staff. We are not just talking about teachers, but all the auxiliary staff, out of school care workers, and other people who run their extra curricular programs on school grounds. I think it's quite paradoxical to house 100 people and potentially put 50 people out of work.  I hope that this is not the case, unless they plan to hold some rooms at Mount Edwards for those who lose their lively hood in the process of building this supportive housing.

The school is a non-profit organization, who doesn't get the same tax exemption benefits as Cool Aid, thanks to councillor Ben Isitt, and his tax initiative. They will have to pay rent and a $60,000 tax bill! 

http://www.timescolo...x-bill-1.900167 

This School is only viable if it keeps it's enrolment levels. I know several people who work at this school, and can put a face to those who may lose their job. They make a significantly lower wage then public school teachers, and have no pension plan. A lot of staff rely solely on their slim salary to support their family. I also know some that rely on their benefits, to pay for medication for family members. This will be a tremendously sad situation if these people have to be let go. It's also not easy to find alternative work in this economy. 

I truly hope you are right, Mike, and that whatever is taking place behind the scenes, in the cloak of darkness, with total lack of transparency, will appease the staff and parents at this school! It's so unfortunate, that a school that has be a pillar of this community for 25 years, is stuck in the middle of this political mess. 

• Baro likes this

#152 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

So let's put some pieces of the puzzle together for those just joining us and who may not be as caught up on the latest news concerning Mount Edwards as those who are familiar with this discussion:

- a major announcement regarding the Mount Edwards building is coming later this week

- a City of Victoria councillor believes the announcement will outline a proposal that parents of children at the Anglican school will consider to be reasonable

- contractors, fire alarm and various other crews have been active on-site

- an unconfirmed report indicates the provincial government may be involved in the purchase of this property

- corroborating information regarding some form of provincial government involvement has been received by VibrantVictoria, although this may or may not be related to the upcoming announcement

- the current zoning for Mount Edwards does not accommodate, over the long-term, the type of usage Cool-Aid originally envisioned

I think that's the gist of it. If anyone has anything to add please do.

• Baro and Nparker like this

Know it all.

#153 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

Interesting, looks like there changes are minor enough to not even warrant a BP. 

To the previous comment about why BHSA would be cleaning up now, it is not uncommon for such terms to be stipulated in the purchase contract. They would of waited until now, because they are closer to the closing date. They wouldn't want to start until as late as possible in case the buyer is unable to meet their conditions. In these contracts usually both parties have several conditions they much satisfy before the closing date.

That said, I'm not saying that is the case here. If someone (be it the government or cool-aid) has closed on the site all the better.

BHSA is not doing the work in the Building, Cool Aid is. I was there yesterday, I asked the electrical contractor who was working there, he said the client was Cool Aid, go over and ask them yourself. I also asked if there was a change in ownership, because Cool Aid does not own the building, he said, "they don't tell us much",I said, "welcome to the club."

Who owns the building has a significant  impact, the City's new mantra is there will be a public zoning process for permanent usage of the facility, However, and this is a really really important so please do pay attention, if the Province owns the building, THEY WILL BE EXEMPT FROM MUNICIPAL ZONING.

#154 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:09 AM

BC VIEWS: Urban drug ghettos don't work

Communities around B.C. are struggling to cope with the continued influx of what politicians call “homelessness,” a term that suggests the problem can be solved merely by providing more homes.

Taxpaying citizens see the daily reality behind the soothing euphemisms – mainly transients squatting in parks and “tent cities” blighted by drug abuse and crime, and “homeless” shelters that fill up as soon as they open. They worry that the continued costly supply of supports only invites more arrivals, particularly in the gentle climate of southwestern B.C.

Their worries are well founded. In Abbotsford, a 40-bed “temporary weather shelter” made from industrial camp trailers opened in December with a $450,000 operating grant from B.C. Housing.

It was full in 10 days. Abbotsford Police Chief Bob Rich told city council in January that his bike officers don’t recognize most of the shelter occupants from their constant patrols of local tent camps, the largest of which has been on a city-owned roadside site since 2013.

In Maple Ridge, a “low barrier harm reduction” shelter was opened last fall in response to a growing tent camp and accompanying drug dealing, prostitution and petty crime.

One resident noted bitterly that a mayor’s task force had identified 42 unsheltered homeless people, then found places for 77 from the camp, 40 from a closing “temporary” shelter and 40 in a new shelter. “How exactly does one house 157 out of 42?” she asked.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#155 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:15 AM

CBC Radio - two Fort St. business owners speak against the proposal.  Audio Clip.

#156 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:39 PM

Cool Aid reported a “very positive development” for the proposal in a post on its website, but said it couldn’t share details for confidentiality reasons.

“We are expecting that a full announcement will be made in the very near future so please stay tuned,” the post said.

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps said the city hasn’t heard anything, but said the homeless housing project would face a round of public consultation if it pushes forward.

“We don’t know what’s going to happen with the building, there may be some short-term uses, but anyone who wants to open 101 beds in that space will need to go through a rezoning process,” said Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps. “It’s a very very public process.”

Contractors were spotted at the building Monday morning.

#157 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:07 PM

The work order for asbestos removal posted on the building list BC Housing as the owner. Yet a title search reveals that Baptist Housing owns the building.

They should have to go back and reapply for a permit. Anyone know who can be contacted to inform them of the discrepancy?

image001.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#158 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:10 PM

Could title have a delay in updating the record if the sale has taken place?

I went to high school with Luke Nadiger.  Small world.

Edited by nagel, 03 February 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#159 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

The work order for asbestos removal posted on the building list BC Housing as the owner. Yet a title search reveals that Baptist Housing owns the building.

They should have to go back and reapply for a permit. Anyone know who can be contacted to inform them of the discrepancy?

Does it matter all that much?

#160 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

Does it matter all that much?

Not IMO.  But it could be a sign the building was sold to BC Housing.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users