Sidewalking Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1257 replies to this topic

#1041 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 08:53 PM

Remember my bus tunnel article? Well I am completely redesigning Douglas Street again. Have a read and let me know your thoughts.

https://www.sidewalk...reet-reimagined

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1042 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 07:04 AM

New article up this morning. This time looking at downtown Victoria and the challenges with having less office workers. But also what we can start doing about it.

https://www.sidewalk...and-the-stopgap

• Matt R. likes this

It has a whole new look!

#1043 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 07:31 AM

Excellent, excellent recap of the situation, G.

I would like to add that for those of us who do not visit downtown regularly, it has also become very dirty and feels unkempt. It may not appear to someone that way, if they see it daily, but when you are removed from the core and see it once or twice a month the level of upkeep has greatly eroded compared to a decade ago. Downtown should shine, in every way, like you see in the CBDs around the world (even in less wealthy countries, the downtown cores tend to be well kept).

And you’re right, the population of downtown remains very small, despite the development. You can’t sustain a downtown centre home to well below 10,000 people, when every day the downtown core would ballon to 75,000 people, maybe even 100,000. The CoV itself doubles in size every day, no?

Furthermore, residents have different needs than do workers or visitors to a downtown, which dictates their shopping habits.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1044 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 07:36 AM

You can’t sustain a downtown centre home to well below 10,000 people, 

Especially when nearly 2,000 of the downtown or near-downtown residents are homeless.  Nearly 1 out of every 5 downtown residents has a substance and/or mental health issue.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 March 2023 - 07:37 AM.

• Barrrister likes this

#1045 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 07:48 AM

I was going to say, that that’s what I mean for residents having different needs for the commercial services downtown.

Your average resident downtown is not a high income earner. But traditionally downtown businesses were geared for high income earners, now that’s changing as high income earners look elsewhere/don’t want to come downtown.

Look at the biggest/most notable business openings downtown in recent years: Bulk Barn, Dollarama, and Winners.
  • Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1046 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 07:57 AM

I have lived downtown or at least very close to downtown for the past 31 years (the furthest away being the Cook Street Village). For most of those 3 decades I was required to be in a downtown office a minimum of 4 days of each week. As a result, my co-workers/friends and I spent money in a lot of local businesses. Now that I am retired I still live downtown, but I spend far less time frequenting nearby establishments. Even the grocery shopping I do at the nearby Save-on-Foods is just supplementing a weekly stock-up at the Uptown Walmart. There is currently nothing about the "heart" of the city that makes me want to spend any more than the barest amount of time in it. I am not sure what the solution is, but I know the answer won't come from just an increased downtown population.

• Barrrister likes this

#1047 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 08:04 AM

Is it the traffic violence that’s keeping you from shopping downtown?
  • Nparker, Matt R., Barrrister and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#1048 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 08:06 AM

:1954_dancing:

#1049 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 09:26 AM

Thanks Mike! Obviously it is striking a cord as my numbers are super high today.
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

It has a whole new look!

#1050 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 09:31 AM

Chord.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1051 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 11:01 AM

Thanks đź‘Ť
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

It has a whole new look!

#1052 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 12:07 PM

Your average resident downtown is not a high income earner.

Downtown is full of ultra-luxurious condos and apartments that nobody can afford because they're far too expensive and people are far too poor.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1053 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 12:11 PM

I am not sure what the solution is, but I know the answer won't come from just an increased downtown population.

People could return to normal work, normal lives, and some semblance of grounded sanity? The CoV could stop pooping in its own bed? Just throwing some ideas out there.

• Nparker likes this

#1054 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 01:47 PM

Increasing evening parking costs rally makes me want to rush downtown. But I guess I can rush down to view the closed Bateman center or the half closed museum or the mostly closed marine museum. Perhaps a stroll down Pandora or onto the streets like Government or Douglas that are starting to mirror Douglas. 

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#1055 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 05:27 AM

We did a little "sidewalking" downtown this past Sunday and low and behold there was some vibrant activity on a closed off portion of Government Street. While strolling down Yates we heard "the sound of a jukebox coming from up the levee". 

It turned out to be a band set up on a stage in the middle of the street playing "Goodbye Nova Scotia". 

s band.jpg

There were lots of people shopping at the little stands that were set up. I assume they were mostly vendors that usually hawk their wares in Bastion Square during the summer.

s booths.jpg

There was also some slides for the wee ones.

s slide.jpg

On the way back to the car however, we came across "Toxic Tom" as I call him. A spray paint artist that spreads his shop on a tarp on the sidewalk on Douglas street. You can breathe the toxic spray paint clear down to View St. and beyond. I wonder if he has a "busker's" license for that spot?

s Tom.jpg

• G-Man and todd like this

#1056 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 07:57 AM

back in the old days used to skip school/whatnot and go downtown all kinds of neat shops with stuff you couldn’t get anywhere else, now most of the unique shops are gone new ones not opening up. I blame the Internet over anything we just don’t have the population to keep them going anymore but there are other compounding factors. Really no good reason to go downtown anymore other than to look at architecture, which I do appreciate.

#1057 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 05:43 AM

Great post Sparky! I should have gone down there to have a look. 

As for your post Todd, I disagree to an extent though it may come down to personal interests. Currently Downtown is home to an amazing selection of unique independent stores. I would say per capita we are kicking Vancouver's butt. I mean I get pretty excited thinking about Camera Traders, Regional Assembly of Text, Anian, Outlook, The Papery, Russel Books... I could go on but I am needing to go shopping!

• todd likes this

It has a whole new look!

#1058 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 03:55 PM

^ https://www.russellbooks.com/

#1059 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 03:58 PM

I searched for a book on Russell's website last night and discovered that I can get it faster and cheaper through Amazon. Sorry downtown Victoria.  :(

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#1060 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 04:11 PM

^Russell on Amazon: https://www.amazon.c...asin=0735211299

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users