[Marine] V2V Vacations | Victoria-Vancouver catamaran service

• Please log in to reply
834 replies to this topic

#641 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:30 AM

Perhaps a lack of tourists in the off season? I think they need to play with their price point to maximize sales. Clearly the boats are mostly empty at the current prices. 

I haven't met anyone locally that has taken it yet. I'm interested in doing so but can't justify spending $120 each way, for personal or business reasons - flying and driving are cheaper.

• Nparker and tjv like this

#642 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

The company cites the potential for rough seas and subsequent schedule changes or cancellations as the decision to pursue a service black-out period between mid-October and mid-March.

Victoria-to-Vancouver ferry operator V2V Vacations cancels fall and winter sailings

https://victoria.cit...inter-sailings/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#643 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:21 AM

The company cites the potential for rough seas and subsequent schedule changes or cancellations as the decision to pursue a service black-out period between mid-October and mid-March.

Funny, the Victoria Clipper manages to run year-round through similar sea conditions.

#644 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:26 AM

Funny, the Victoria Clipper manages to run year-round through similar sea conditions.

The Clipper does end up routing people on buses and canceling the sailing pretty frequently during those months. (This may happen less often now with the new larger ship.)

#645 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:35 AM

The Clipper does end up routing people on buses and canceling the sailing pretty frequently during those months.

I bet this doesn't happen more than twice a month from October-February. I am even more certain the Clipper manages to sail close to full throughout the year.

• jonny likes this

#646 Canuck78

Canuck78
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFernwood

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:07 PM

I bet this doesn't happen more than twice a month from October-February. I am even more certain the Clipper manages to sail close to full throughout the year.

Agreed. Find it odd since they haven't had a full year of service yet to be able make that kind of call to close down for that long.  Harbour/Kenmore Air shut down far more often in the winter due to fog [I've been stranded a time or two] you'd think the boat could cash in on that?    

I also noticed that the route starts in March at 9 in Vancouver leaving Vic at 4.  Theres gotta be more to it than what they are letting on.

#647 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:48 PM

It does happen more than twice a month in the winter.

And even Clipper, with their well-established market, don't sail 7 days a week in the offseason.

Edit: Looks like Clipper may be giving daily service a go this winter. But that has not always been the case.

Edited by vortoozo, 10 August 2018 - 12:52 PM.

#648 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

...Looks like Clipper may be giving daily service a go this winter. But that has not always been the case.

It's been the schedule I have known for years. The Clipper does shut down a few weeks mid-winter for annual maintenance though.

"No scheduled service on December 25, 2018 and January 22 – February 10, 2019"

#649 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,476 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:28 PM

Agreed. Find it odd since they haven't had a full year of service yet to be able make that kind of call to close down for that long.  Harbour/Kenmore Air shut down far more often in the winter due to fog [I've been stranded a time or two] you'd think the boat could cash in on that?    

I also noticed that the route starts in March at 9 in Vancouver leaving Vic at 4.  Theres gotta be more to it than what they are letting on.

I'm seeing a first sailing out of Vancouver on March 15, 8AM, with a return at 2PM.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#650 Canuck78

Canuck78
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFernwood

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

I'm seeing a first sailing out of Vancouver on March 15, 8AM, with a return at 2PM.

You're right, my error, it's half of september and october that is 9am Van 4pm Vic.

• Mike K. likes this

#651 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:54 PM

It's been the schedule I have known for years. The Clipper does shut down a few weeks mid-winter for annual maintenance though.

"No scheduled service on December 25, 2018 and January 22 – February 10, 2019"

Clipper ran Friday - Monday only this past January. Was similar in 2017.

Edited by vortoozo, 10 August 2018 - 06:56 PM.

#652 Canuck78

Canuck78
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFernwood

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

I don't think these guys have any idea what they're doing. Totally wingin' it, or whatever the mariner like term is:

Winter 2017 "Originally, its home port was in Vancouver. But after feedback from guests, tourism partners, and the local industry, it will now be based in Victoria."

http://www.victoriab...port-victoria/ 

Summer 2018 "After collecting feedback from guests and partners, the ferry decided to make some adjustments, noting more passengers are interested in day trips to Victoria than vice versa."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...lings-1.4795619

It was actually hard to listen to, just kept talking about the feedback. This guy said that there was little feedback that the high cost is the major complaint from people - you're not listening buddy!  I bet the hotels here are choked - day trips mean they're not booking any hotels here.  Plus, who the heck wants to take 7 hours on a boat for a 4 hour visit.

Sounds like all staff are losing their jobs too. They only just hired in Vic late last year (I remember seeing postings and news ads) so that's twice they've laid off their staff in a year.  Sure ain't lookin good for these guys. :whyme:

• Nparker likes this

#653 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

the original route was starting in vancouver.   then they told all their staff they had to move to victoria or lose their jobs.  now they are going back to the other way again so this is their 2nd flip on direction.

#654 Canuck78

Canuck78
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFernwood

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:20 AM

the original route was starting in vancouver.   then they told all their staff they had to move to victoria or lose their jobs.  now they are going back to the other way again so this is their 2nd flip on direction.

https://www.glassdoo...RVW19231335.htm

Guessing this is one they got rid of first time around. True or not, maybe getting laid off ain't so bad but still pity them, there's limited marine jobs outside of BC Ferries 

#655 Intercontinental

Intercontinental
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

Hmm, I can still use it. Will do the 4 pm sailing to Vancouver on Fridays or Thursdays and then take BCF home on Sunday. It is a very comfortable way to travel - until you’ve tried it don’t knock it too hard!

#656 Canuck78

Canuck78
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFernwood

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:20 AM

Hmm, I can still use it. Will do the 4 pm sailing to Vancouver on Fridays or Thursdays and then take BCF home on Sunday. It is a very comfortable way to travel - until you’ve tried it don’t knock it too hard!

You could...but only between March and October.

I have taken it back when the fares were 60 bucks when they opened, which I thought was a way more reasonable price than what they're charging.  I liked the fact that I could kick back and have a beer and get to know the staff (there were only a handful of travellers on the boat) but the lower class seats weren't that comfortable, don't recline and there's the awkward metal divider between each seat and I'm not a big guy but I didn't have much room for my thighs. But they can't please everyone and they're for sure better than the Harbour Air seats I guess.

Seriously, if they made it cheaper, they'd have way more people on board.

#657 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:38 AM

...Seriously, if they made it cheaper, they'd have way more people on board.

this

• Canuck78 likes this

#658 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:49 AM

...has V2V always had a 15% discount for Vancouver Island residents?

Capture.PNG

#659 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:17 PM

Let me know when the offer a permanent 50% discount for VI residents.

#660 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:40 PM

...has V2V always had a 15% discount for Vancouver Island residents?

Capture.PNG

Yeah pretty much.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users