[Marine] V2V Vacations | Victoria-Vancouver catamaran service

• Please log in to reply
834 replies to this topic

#681 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:55 AM

Steveston would make sense if Skytrain went there...

#682 Canuck78

Canuck78
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFernwood

Posted 30 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

Would the owner of an Australian company be working out of the local Victoria office?

I heard he comes and goes. He's in his 70s I think, has a young nephew run it here from what the TC said last (but I've seen at least 4 other vp/gm types since it opened)

#683 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 10:27 AM

AH, ok that makes sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#684 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:42 PM

It's long. One of the bridges between Sea Island (YVR) and Lulu Island (Richmond) is quite low, so depending on the size of the vessel it would have to go all the way to Point Grey and then turn back. The arms of the Fraser are also speed controlled, so it would be a very slow journey (I've done it myself. It's ~20 min just to get from River Rock to open water).

There are two bridges on the Middle Arm of the Fraser that do not allow for boats to pass through

The mouth of Middle Arm and the mouth of the North Arm of the Fraser are close to 8.5 km apart

V2V is just what the 5th or 6th attempt at some sort of harbour to harbour ferry service?   Maybe at some point, someone will notice that they do not work as a business model, neither have Nanaimo to Vancouver passenger ferries, there was even a hovercraft that did that trip in the late 60s.

• Nparker likes this

#685 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:24 PM

I'M CONFUSED!!  Is V2V out of business, or declaring such this spring?  This talk of alternative destinations etc. is fun to read but hypothetical.  Is V2V for sale?

#686 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:24 PM

Fairly certain that there was not a hovercraft though would love to be wrong there was definitely a hydrofoil tho.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#687 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:41 PM

Fairly certain that there was not a hovercraft though would love to be wrong there was definitely a hydrofoil tho.

I vaguely remember an attempt at some sort of hovercraft ferry a long time ago but I don't remember if it ever got anywhere.

A fast passenger-only ferry would, I think, be viable from Swartz Bay (or Sidney) to Tsawwassen - but only if there was light rail or Skytrain or equivalent service from the terminal to the downtown core on each side.  Bus transit just doesn't cut it - not enough capacity and takes too long, particularly on this side.

• Nparker likes this

#688 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 10:15 PM

I'M CONFUSED!!  Is V2V out of business, or declaring such this spring?  This talk of alternative destinations etc. is fun to read but hypothetical.  Is V2V for sale?

The recent news was about Riverside Marine (owner/operator of V2V), selling one of it's Australian divisions. Nothing about V2V.

#689 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:12 AM

...Is V2V out of business, or declaring such this spring ...

Nothing official, but have your fork at the ready to stick into this one.

#690 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:39 AM

Here is a video of the hovercraft from 1969

#691 Canuck78

Canuck78
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFernwood

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

Their lack of consistency (read: ridership) doesn't give many hope for it lasting much longer.  My original post was really to say that the owner had sold one arm of the company and likely has more to sink into this one, or bail it out from the millions it must have cost for those new engines and revenue losses.   Like I said, it's not looking good.

Unreliable ain't a great business model guys.  They're moving it back to Vancouver departure after telling us last year that the data said it should have been in Vic overnight all along. They've fired 2 sets of crews since they opened, god knows how many sales/execs, changed their prices a dozen times, and p*ssed me off by nearly capsizing me out at Sidney Spit a few too many times.  (likely why I follow them now with a close eye...lost a beer trying to pull my boat off the shore and that's unforgivable!) 

#692 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:13 AM

It is not out of business but I do not see how it can continue without much better revenues.   Businesses have a lot of fixed costs so closing for four and a half months means you need to make that much more in the remaining nine and a half.   What do the staff do over the winter?

Harbour Air and Helijet are successful because they are fast and used by people needing to go from Vancouver to Victoria or vice versa for business reasons.    Both have lots of choices of when you fly.  V2V does not work for the business community so who is going to use it?   Tourists? 

Most tourists are not interested in spending three and a half hours on a small ship with not a lot to do at a price higher than taking BC Ferries and no savings on Harbour Air.   The seating options and food are not up to BC ferry standards.   The best part of the trip, Active Pass to about Sidney Island, is the same as the BC Ferries route.   

As  I said earlier, there have been numerous attempts at a harbour to harbour ferry services and all of them have failed.    No one has come up with a good business model that compellingly explains why anyone would use the service.

Is it out of business?  No, but I would not buy tickets much in advance of any sailing

#693 Canuck78

Canuck78
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFernwood

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

It is not out of business but I do not see how it can continue without much better revenues.   Businesses have a lot of fixed costs so closing for four and a half months means you need to make that much more in the remaining nine and a half.   What do the staff do over the winter?

Harbour Air and Helijet are successful because they are fast and used by people needing to go from Vancouver to Victoria or vice versa for business reasons.    Both have lots of choices of when you fly.  V2V does not work for the business community so who is going to use it?   Tourists? 

Most tourists are not interested in spending three and a half hours on a small ship with not a lot to do at a price higher than taking BC Ferries and no savings on Harbour Air.   The seating options and food are not up to BC ferry standards.   The best part of the trip, Active Pass to about Sidney Island, is the same as the BC Ferries route.   

As  I said earlier, there have been numerous attempts at a harbour to harbour ferry services and all of them have failed.    No one has come up with a good business model that compellingly explains why anyone would use the service.

Is it out of business?  No, but I would not buy tickets much in advance of any sailing

Staff get laid off for the winter - pretty typical for mariners and tourism companies but I don't know how many they have for regular staffing like office and accounting.

Disagree about the food - I like the Truffles stuff way better than the Whitespot/buffet options on the ferry but that's just me.  Different strokes/different folks. The staff are nicer too plus I could have a beer to make up for the lost one.    Problem with harbour air is in the fall/winter/spring they cancel so many flights cause of the fog and can't fly with just that ipad thing. Great view from up there though year round - way better for tourists.

What about the Island Ferries route that was talked about from Nanaimo to the seabus? It was what, 70 minutes or something? Logically, that's a way shorter commute than living anywhere around vancouver and housing is far cheaper too from Mill Bay up, it makes a bit of sense. Heard it was $25 foot passenger only but this is back last year sometime so don't know where it's at now.

#694 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:38 PM

What about the Island Ferries route that was talked about from Nanaimo to the seabus? It was what, 70 minutes or something? Logically, that's a way shorter commute than living anywhere around vancouver and housing is far cheaper too from Mill Bay up, it makes a bit of sense. Heard it was $25 foot passenger only but this is back last year sometime so don't know where it's at now.

70 minutes, fares expected to start at $25 but we'll see. They've commissioned two new vessels for $20mil apiece, being built in Singapore. There hasn't been an update to any of their pages since June.

#695 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

Here is a video of the hovercraft from 1969

I was not aware of that run but it didn't run as far as I'm aware between Victoria and Vancouver.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#696 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:34 PM

Just how long is the year in your world?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#697 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:20 AM

Years are by the bakers dozen (and a half) now.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#698 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:26 AM

I was not aware of that run but it didn't run as far as I'm aware between Victoria and Vancouver.

My comment related to the Vancouver to Nanaimo services, which have also all failed

#699 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:38 AM

As  I said earlier, there have been numerous attempts at a harbour to harbour ferry services and all of them have failed.   

The CPR ran harbour to harbour before BC Ferries came along, but these smaller boats that are trying to make a go of it are not feasible in the lumpy gravy weather during the winter.

The crossing is too long and there ain't too much to do, so most folks would rather travel on a ship with more amenities.

#700 Canuck78

Canuck78
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFernwood

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:13 PM

so most folks would rather travel on a ship with more amenities.

and for a fraction of the cost...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users