Photo

Victoria City Hall's statue of Sir John A. MacDonald could be on the move

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#401 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

Why not have a park within a park or have a large area on top of the hill that is under Indigenous control and renamed as they see fit.

Don't forget the lawn bowling club that is available for members and non-members to rent for private functions.

https://www.victorialbc.com/rentals/

You mean like a reservation.

• Baro and VIResident like this

#402 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:22 AM

I'm sure City staff will finagle it so Indigenous control of the park is in effect, merely symbolic. Like they would not be allowed to sell artwork or food items inside the proposed longhouse.The City can chop down statues and street signs like there's no tomorrow but I doubt there will be significant transfers of power where it really matters.

So this reconciliation stuff is either insincere or dangerous. 

• rjag likes this

#403 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:08 PM

I'm sure City staff will finagle it so Indigenous control of the park is in effect, merely symbolic. Like they would not be allowed to sell artwork or food items inside the proposed longhouse.The City can chop down statues and street signs like there's no tomorrow but I doubt there will be significant transfers of power where it really matters.

Which is why I don't understand the whole point. Having the Mayor apologize each day for stealing FN land doesn't really do much for anyone. It would be like my boss apologizing to me every day for not paying me enough money and treating me like poop and then walking out the door to his next golf game. I am supposed to feel better?

• Nparker, rjag and Midnightly like this

#404 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:25 PM

Which is why I don't understand the whole point. Having the Mayor apologize each day for stealing FN land doesn't really do much for anyone. It would be like my boss apologizing to me every day for not paying me enough money and treating me like poop and then walking out the door to his next golf game. I am supposed to feel better?

Nope, but they'll feel better. Its all about virtue signalling.

Isnt that what this current Federal government mandate is for Justin, its the Apology Tour

The same applies to our leftist friends at CoV and other local councils...its the equal sharing of misery and the rejection of success in any endeavour

Its Grievance Studies 101

That $30,000 would have been a hot breakfast program for a year for 2 or more inner-city schools 

Edited by rjag, 20 November 2018 - 01:26 PM.

• Wayne likes this

#405 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

...That $30,000 would have been a hot breakfast program for a year for 2 or more inner-city schools 

Or subsidized someone's rent in a 1-bedroom apartment for 2.5 years.

#406 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:01 PM

19th November 2018, is DOUGLAS DAY. It was 160 years ago that British Columbia was officially proclaimed after the tumultuous gold rush summer of 1858!

Are we surprised that nothing was mentioned about this

46451702_10156515065095236_3831275686056

Edited by rjag, 20 November 2018 - 09:02 PM.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:32 AM

No kidding, hey? I had no idea.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#408 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:45 AM

Nope, but they'll feel better. Its all about virtue signalling.

Isnt that what this current Federal government mandate is for Justin, its the Apology Tour

The same applies to our leftist friends at CoV and other local councils...its the equal sharing of misery and the rejection of success in any endeavour

Its Grievance Studies 101

Outside of the Mayor and two council members, all of the "family members" are FN. You would think that one or two of them might mention that they expect more than platitudes and a statue removal in exchange for the sharp downward shift in enthusiasm for FN issues amoung the general public. 

#409 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 02:43 PM

I just received in change, a crisp newer ten dollar bill with Sir John A. on it it.

Check out the people in this photo.  https://www.flickr.c...57678967279404/

• sebberry likes this

#410 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 02:47 PM

I thought this is the new $10 bill.

10.jpg

And is Canada the first country to have "vertical" currency?  :confused: Actually, we are not

...Bermuda, Cape Verde, Israel, Switzerland, and Venezuela have adopted vertically oriented currency, although Israel is now reverting to horizontal orientation

Edited by Nparker, 23 November 2018 - 02:49 PM.

#411 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:29 PM

May as well for the very few people that actually still use CASH, as when you give a money bill to someone you usually had it to them vertically and not horizontally .

It's been so long since I have used cash that I actually find it ODD when I do take out the rare 20 dollar bill from a bank machine.  I stare at the bloody thing and wonder what the heck to do with it. 

That being said.....personally I think that nothing is more secure then cold hard cash. It's money that is REAL and not digital, as most of our money is now. 

While digital money is super convenient, it was also very intentionally introduced into society because everything revolves around currency. And if your money no longer has a Physical form, then it's not really money is it? It's just a bunch of 1's and zeros floating around in banking computer servers. And the dangerous thing about digital currency is that you can't touch it, you can't hold it, and you can't feel it, you can't smell it, and you can't see it. The only thing that makes it  exist is a bunch of 1's and Zeros. If those 1's and Zero's are manipulated by human interference ...then there is no currency at all.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 25 November 2018 - 11:36 PM.

#412 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:50 AM

I thought this is the new $10 bill.

10.jpg

And is Canada the first country to have "vertical" currency?  :confused: Actually, we are not

Am I going to have to go buy a vertical wallet now?  

• Nparker, Bingo and Love the rock like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#413 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:02 PM

I still use a lot of cash. I don't like getting bills at the end of the month.

#414 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:30 PM

I use plastic for everything, don't like carrying change around.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#415 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:37 PM

I use plastic for everything, don't like carrying change around.

Sir John A isn't on any plastic that I know of but he is on some of our real money.

#416 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:47 PM

Sir John A isn't on any plastic that I know of

Does the CoV know this with all the work they are doing with the plastic bags?

#417 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:35 PM

Aren't all these new banknotes plastic anyway?

<Insert false equivalence between plastic shopping bags and any other plastic item here>

#418 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:23 AM

Happy Sir John A MacDonald Day!

https://laws-lois.ju...page-1.html#h-2
  • Nparker and RFS like this

#419 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:36 AM

#lawsthatmatter

#420 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:42 AM

Ah, it is indeed!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users