Photo

Victoria City Hall's statue of Sir John A. MacDonald could be on the move

• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#401 nagel

nagel
  • 5,597 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:32 AM

Why not have a park within a park or have a large area on top of the hill that is under Indigenous control and renamed as they see fit.

Don't forget the lawn bowling club that is available for members and non-members to rent for private functions.

https://www.victorialbc.com/rentals/

You mean like a reservation.

• VIResident likes this

#402 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,592 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:22 AM

I'm sure City staff will finagle it so Indigenous control of the park is in effect, merely symbolic. Like they would not be allowed to sell artwork or food items inside the proposed longhouse.The City can chop down statues and street signs like there's no tomorrow but I doubt there will be significant transfers of power where it really matters.

So this reconciliation stuff is either insincere or dangerous. 

• rjag likes this

#403 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,007 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:08 PM

I'm sure City staff will finagle it so Indigenous control of the park is in effect, merely symbolic. Like they would not be allowed to sell artwork or food items inside the proposed longhouse.The City can chop down statues and street signs like there's no tomorrow but I doubt there will be significant transfers of power where it really matters.

Which is why I don't understand the whole point. Having the Mayor apologize each day for stealing FN land doesn't really do much for anyone. It would be like my boss apologizing to me every day for not paying me enough money and treating me like poop and then walking out the door to his next golf game. I am supposed to feel better?

• Nparker, rjag and Midnightly like this

#404 rjag

rjag
  • 4,252 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Which is why I don't understand the whole point. Having the Mayor apologize each day for stealing FN land doesn't really do much for anyone. It would be like my boss apologizing to me every day for not paying me enough money and treating me like poop and then walking out the door to his next golf game. I am supposed to feel better?

Nope, but they'll feel better. Its all about virtue signalling.

Isnt that what this current Federal government mandate is for Justin, its the Apology Tour

The same applies to our leftist friends at CoV and other local councils...its the equal sharing of misery and the rejection of success in any endeavour

Its Grievance Studies 101

That $30,000 would have been a hot breakfast program for a year for 2 or more inner-city schools 

Edited by rjag, Yesterday, 01:26 PM.

#405 Nparker

Nparker
  • 20,689 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:36 PM

...That $30,000 would have been a hot breakfast program for a year for 2 or more inner-city schools 

Or subsidized someone's rent in a 1-bedroom apartment for 2.5 years.

#406 rjag

rjag
  • 4,252 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

19th November 2018, is DOUGLAS DAY. It was 160 years ago that British Columbia was officially proclaimed after the tumultuous gold rush summer of 1858!

Are we surprised that nothing was mentioned about this

46451702_10156515065095236_3831275686056

Edited by rjag, Yesterday, 09:02 PM.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,477 posts

Posted Today, 05:32 AM

No kidding, hey? I had no idea.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#408 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,007 posts

Posted Today, 10:45 AM

Nope, but they'll feel better. Its all about virtue signalling.

Isnt that what this current Federal government mandate is for Justin, its the Apology Tour

The same applies to our leftist friends at CoV and other local councils...its the equal sharing of misery and the rejection of success in any endeavour

Its Grievance Studies 101

Outside of the Mayor and two council members, all of the "family members" are FN. You would think that one or two of them might mention that they expect more than platitudes and a statue removal in exchange for the sharp downward shift in enthusiasm for FN issues amoung the general public. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.