Photo

Victoria City Hall's statue of Sir John A. MacDonald could be on the move

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#481 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

I was not aware that First Nations in Canada are governed by a separate set of laws. What is Helps referring to when she says there are two sets of laws at play in the chamber?

The comments up to the censorship are on the council website in the first 10 minutes. https://pub-victoria...05-02-12-26.mp4

Sounds like the City Family meetings and presentation today are only done orally (ie no minutes or documentation). That may have been the issue with the recording in that it would have left a record. 

Edited by spanky123, 02 May 2019 - 07:48 PM.

• rjag likes this

#482 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, and so?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#483 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:00 PM

Jeez just listened to it, skipped back and forward on it as its over an hour but Helps is out to lunch on refusing to webcast it and later listening to Collins I am convinced the next MP for Victoria will NOT be NDP.....

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#484 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:07 PM

Jeez just listened to it, skipped back and forward on it as its over an hour but Helps is out to lunch on refusing to webcast it and later listening to Collins I am convinced the next MP for Victoria will NOT be NDP.....

I am sure that Ms. Collins is a wonderful person but she does not do well at council meetings. She is often stumbling, confused and unsure of herself. Having said that though, after the Trudeau experience with MP's that want to speak their minds, Ms. Collins may be exactly the type of person a leader wants. 

Edited by spanky123, 02 May 2019 - 08:08 PM.

• rjag likes this

#485 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

Young said council has “a legal requirement for open government” and reiterated his concerns regarding shutting off the webcast.

Helps’ rebuttal was that the City is not required to stream a webcast, which is true. Helps also referred to two legal orders at play. Helps also said there will be formal minutes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#486 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

... listening to Collins I am convinced the next MP for Victoria will NOT be NDP.....

Isn't it worth sending Ms Collins to Ottawa, making her virtually powerless while opening up even the slightest glimmer of hope of a rational person taking her place on CoV council? I know where my federal vote is likely to go now.

• mbjj, newbie_01 and rmpeers like this

#487 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

...Helps also said there will be formal minutes.

I'll believe that only when they are made public.

#488 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

As someone who has typed formal minutes for many a place, minutes are only as good as the manager that signs off on there release.
  • Mike K., pennymurphy2000 and Cassidy like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#489 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

At the 29 minute mark Councillor Dubow asks staff to explain the concept of a rezoning.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#490 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:40 PM

Isn't it worth sending Ms Collins to Ottawa, making her virtually powerless while opening up even the slightest glimmer of hope of a rational person taking her place on CoV council? I know where my federal vote is likely to go now.

but soo many of us hoped for that exact thing during this past election..and the pendulum only swung even further in the wrong direction

#491 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

but soo many of us hoped for that exact thing during this past election..and the pendulum only swung even further in the wrong direction

True enough, but maybe the pendulum could swing back a bit in a by-election.

#492 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:49 PM

At the 29 minute mark Councillor Dubow asks staff to explain the concept of a rezoning.

Oy vey.  :whyme:

• Daveyboy, pennymurphy2000, newbie_01 and 1 other like this

#493 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

Young said council has “a legal requirement for open government” and reiterated his concerns regarding shutting off the webcast.

Helps’ rebuttal was that the City is not required to stream a webcast, which is true. Helps also referred to two legal orders at play. Helps also said there will be formal minutes.

It was a little confusing but it sounded like minutes would only reflect what the council members and Mayor said and not that of any FN member.

#494 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:05 PM

Oh yes, that could very well be.

Know it all.

#495 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:32 PM

It was a little confusing but it sounded like minutes would only reflect what the council members and Mayor said and not that of any FN member.

Ridiculous and offensive double standard
  • Nparker and Cassidy like this

#496 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:17 AM

At 8:40 - clarification of the process for the city of Victoria to use

At 11:30 - The City of Victoria switches meeting from "Indigenous Legal Order" to  "Our Legal Order"

12:40 - Issit points out that the blackout of the City Family communication was railroaded. (It was completely scripted as you can see him reading verbatim over multiple pages) 

One home being added to a large lot

• 26:00 - Sharmarke Dubow shows his expertise in being a councilor.  
  • 29:30 - Sarah Potts - Champions landscape design for garden pots.
  • 31:10 - Ben Issit - Variance - asked what about setback - then reading verbatim from a prepared speech on his laptop for his base.
  • 35:10 - Geoff Young waffles and rambles - not supporting the motion without just saying so.
  • 37:38 - Young and Issit vote against "an opportunity for public comment" 
  • Now - On the Level - How much funding has council wasted with staff etc on a single residence?  Would it have been cheaper for taxpayers if the city simply expropriated the property?  How much has this council added to the carbon footprint in debating this single property between staff work/transportation to and from/paper/energy?    How much will they spend to avoid a decision?

I only made it 38 minutes in....painful.

• Mike K., Rob Randall, Nparker and 1 other like this

#497 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:21 AM

I was not aware that First Nations in Canada are governed by a separate set of laws. What is Helps referring to when she says there are two sets of laws at play in the chamber?

http://jfklaw.ca/mak...indigenous-law/

#498 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:05 AM

That was very informative. Thank you, Sparky.

Know it all.

#499 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:48 AM

Issit points out that the blackout of the City Family communication was railroaded

What exactly does this mean? 

• sdwright.vic likes this

#500 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:00 AM

I'll believe that only when they are made public.

If minutes are made public, I am okay with that. The problem is our mayor has not exactly created a perception of openness in her previous activities, so people are bound to be suspicious. My fear is that, just like the statue issue, she will deal with this in such a way as to fan the flames of racism again just to benefit her. Hopefully the city family members will be more cautious after that debacle.
  • Midnightly likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users