Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21611 replies to this topic

#9561 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

No, that wasn't why we removed the posts. We removed that exchange because it added zero value to this forum.

Mike, I really hesitated to respond to this sanitization of the conversation. Pardon me for not being able to glean 

this from Sparky's (moderator) response.  I have a lot of respect for you and this site. 

I've been a member for 10 years. You know damn well I'm not afraid to speak my mind. 

Really doesn't matter that it was deleted. (I have the entire thread copied anyway) The horse has left the barn. Both the message and the way it's

been handled seem pretty clear to me. I can only say I'm gravely disappointed. Some things I just can't wash off. 

I fully expect this to be deleted as it adds zero to the forum. Cheers. 

• Matt R. and jonny like this

#9562 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

We're just not interested in airing arguments that take things to a personal level, that's all.

Just a reminder to everyone, that if you have a point to make, and it's not sticking, maybe ease off the gas pedal a little. Also, this forum respects people's right to maintaining anonymity. If someone uses an alias on this forum please respect that alias.

Lastly, we're not actively monitoring this forum 24 hours a day. We sometimes do sleep at night, lol. This is in reference to the request for moderation at 1AM.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9563 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,157 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

.....and if anyone thinks they can do a better job of monitoring this forum you can have mine.

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#9564 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

Off the topic, but quick note of appreciation to the mods who keep the forum moving as cleanly as possible. I've enjoyed this forum for debate and as a resource for living in this town for several years. Sometimes moderating is messy.  

• Mike K., Matt R., jonny and 1 other like this

#9565 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

On topic, I do think police could be way clearer in their messaging. I think they get bogged down managing a lot of things at once - consideration for the integrity of the investigation, consideration for the victims, yes, to a large extent political correctness, and hesitancy to cause panic. 

This takes reading between the lines in a police press release.. take the murder in Coquitlam this week: 

“Investigators believe Mr. Kelly’s murder was targeted.  As of yet, there is no evidence to link Mr. Kelly’s death to other recent homicides or reported acts of violence,” 

They probably mean: “Investigators believe Mr. Kelly’s murder was targeted Because he's a full time criminal / drug dealer.  As of yet, there is no evidence to link Mr. Kelly’s death to other recent homicides or reported acts of violence - he just happens not to be related to the gangs that have been shooting each other constantly for the last couple of weeks”.  The public is not believed to be at risk. If your not a criminal you should be fine. 

Edited by satellite, 20 February 2018 - 08:56 PM.

• Mike K. and jonny like this

#9566 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:12 PM

What the hell is this all about?

Witness in UVic sex assault trial claims responsibility for crime in bizarre twist

the defence opened its case and called its first witness, who took the stand and told the jury he was the one who committed the crimes that Hope was accused of.

He said he met Hope while the two were in jail and overheard Hope describing the details of the crime that he was accused of, and recognized them as his own crime.

#9567 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:24 AM

We're just not interested in airing arguments that take things to a personal level, that's all.

Just a reminder to everyone, that if you have a point to make, and it's not sticking, maybe ease off the gas pedal a little. Also, this forum respects people's right to maintaining anonymity. If someone uses an alias on this forum please respect that alias.

Lastly, we're not actively monitoring this forum 24 hours a day. We sometimes do sleep at night, lol. This is in reference to the request for moderation at 1AM.

Wow, you are almost taking from the RCC. Blame the victim. 

Edited by martini, 21 February 2018 - 12:26 AM.

#9568 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Well, either the DNA evidence is wrong, and this guy did it ... or this is some kind of jail cell concocted plan to mess up the case and try and get everyone out of trouble.

#9569 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

That's Perry Mason-esque.  It is true though that neither victim has been able to identify the suspect the crown has charged.

What about surveillance video at ScotiaBank and BMO?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 February 2018 - 08:59 AM.

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9570 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

Police have release surveillance footage identifying the suspect in the February 18th sexual assault case involving a minor. The assault occurred at the Bay Centre after noon.

Video: https://www.facebook...56123789764362/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9571 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:50 PM

The first incident occurred around 10 p.m. when officers visited the 800-block of Wharf Street to follow up a report of a person camping on illegal property. Two officers approached the suspect, a young woman, and offered transport to a shelter or legal camping area.

The woman attacked both officers without warning, assaulting one of them. The suspect was taken into custody. The officer did not sustain any injuries.

In the second incident, officers attended a call at business in the 1200-block of Douglas Street around 2:30 a.m. The first officer who arrived on the scene discovered an active altercation taking place, involving several individuals.

As the officer intervened, a young woman in the fray attacked him. A struggle ensued and the officer received non-life-threatening injuries. With the assistance of other officers, the woman and several other people were taken into custody. The injured officer was taken to hospital and treated, but no one else was injured in the incident.

https://www.saanichn...rate-incidents/

Camping on illegal property eh?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 February 2018 - 12:51 PM.

• lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9572 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

Another day, another sexual assault, now maybe many on the same bus.  Too bad no guy on the bus just got up, grabbed the guy and threw him off.  That would teach him better than a bunch of Facebook posts.

https://www.goldstre..._medium=twitter

#9573 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

And what, risk an assault charge for being Mr. Tough Guy who manhandled Mr. Subjugated Because of His Mental Disease?

This is no longer the world we grew up in, VHF. Doing what's right is wrong, and doing what's wrong is now a misunderstood cry for help.

• Nparker, Daveyboy and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.

#9574 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

And what, risk an assault charge for being Mr. Tough Guy who manhandled Mr. Subjugated Because of His Mental Disease?

This is no longer the world we grew up in, VHF. Doing what's right is wrong, and doing what's wrong is now a misunderstood cry for help.

Nobody is going to be charged or convicted for assault in the case I just described. 

If you want to abdicate your responsibility as a male member of this society, go ahead, you can be like the armed guard that never entered the the Florida school shooting building.  But I'm not gonna be that coward.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 February 2018 - 11:10 AM.

#9575 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,918 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

Nobody is going to be charged or convicted for assault in the case I just described...

Perhaps not convicted, but I'd never say never about getting charged under those circumstances. There are lawyers willing to take on just about any cause to make a name for themselves.

#9576 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

Perhaps not convicted, but I'd never say never about getting charged under those circumstances. There are lawyers willing to take on just about any cause to make a name for themselves.

Name all the glory-seeking Crown prosecutors in this city...

• Lorenzo likes this

#9577 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

Nobody is going to be charged or convicted for assault in the case I just described. 

If you want to abdicate your responsibility as a male member of this society, go ahead, you can be like the armed guard that never entered the the Florida school shooting building.  But I'm not gonna be that coward.

No, I don't want to abdicate responsibility. You know me and my stance on these sorts of things and we see eye-to-eye in that regard.

But the smart thing to do in the bus case is to acknowledge the victim's situation vocally if you pick up on what's happening. That alerts everyone else, including the driver. Then, if you feel it's the right thing to do, communicate to the victim to move and if you so choose, get between her and perp. Call out to the driver to stop the bus, that it's an emergency, and you then instruct the individual to leave the bus immediately while dialing 911. The last resort should be physical contact of any kind.

But notice that in that article nowhere does it mention other passengers were made aware of the incidents. Now I have read some of the online commentary and one person did say she brought the issue to the attention of the bus driver who said something like "yeah, this guy does weird stuff all the time."

Know it all.

#9578 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

No, I don't want to abdicate responsibility. You know me and my stance on these sorts of things and we see eye-to-eye in that regard.

But the smart thing to do in the bus case is to acknowledge the victim's situation vocally if you pick up on what's happening. That alerts everyone else, including the driver. Then, if you feel it's the right thing to do, communicate to the victim to move and if you so choose, get between her and perp. Call out to the driver to stop the bus, that it's an emergency, and you then instruct the individual to leave the bus immediately while dialing 911. The last resort should be physical contact of any kind.

Booooooooring.   

No, j/k, that's kinda what I meant.  Give the guy a choice.  Tell the guy he gets off at the next stop, or you get off with him at his normal stop, and that'll be the wrong choice for him, about 15 seconds after the bus drives away and you two are alone.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 February 2018 - 11:37 AM.

#9579 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:07 PM

That's better.

See, I knew we saw eye-to-eye. Except maybe for the 15 seconds after the bus drives away part. I have places to go, people to see ...and no bus pass.

Know it all.

#9580 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

That's better.

See, I knew we saw eye-to-eye. Except maybe for the 15 seconds after the bus drives away part. I have places to go, people to see ...and no bus pass.

That reminds me, some guy offered me a red bus pass for $100 for 2018 on the street the other day.  I know more than one person that is using a card that was not issued to them in this way.  These cards are not scanned, just shown to the driver.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 February 2018 - 12:17 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users