Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21601 replies to this topic

#9581 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

No, I don't want to abdicate responsibility. You know me and my stance on these sorts of things and we see eye-to-eye in that regard.

But the smart thing to do in the bus case is to acknowledge the victim's situation vocally if you pick up on what's happening. That alerts everyone else, including the driver. Then, if you feel it's the right thing to do, communicate to the victim to move and if you so choose, get between her and perp. Call out to the driver to stop the bus, that it's an emergency, and you then instruct the individual to leave the bus immediately while dialing 911. The last resort should be physical contact of any kind.

But notice that in that article nowhere does it mention other passengers were made aware of the incidents. Now I have read some of the online commentary and one person did say she brought the issue to the attention of the bus driver who said something like "yeah, this guy does weird stuff all the time."

My own daughter was one of the women who came forward. None of what has been said here would have applied in this situation. His behaviour was not obvious to anyone. It was very subtle. So subtle I had a hard time understanding what he was doing when my daughter texted me and alerted me. I was sitting on the same bus! Most people on the bus are wearing earbuds and staring at their phones. Thankfully the power of social media and the actions of Vic PD this ended in him being arrested. Far quicker than I expected. 

#9582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:55 PM

Right, it's not always obvious. So unless it is obvious, manhandling someone off the bus could result in an assault charge when other passengers say the guy did nothing wrong, the driver didn't see him doing anything wrong, and the victim doesn't speak up. People get caught up in bad situations trying to do something good all the time.

Sorry to hear that your daughter was involved. Glad she came forward and the police dealt with the perp in the fashion that they did.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9583 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

Apart from the driver stopping and securing the vehicle, I'm not sure all of what responsibility we should put on him/her.  75% of the bus passengers have a phone.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 February 2018 - 01:00 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9584 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

Right, it's not always obvious. So unless it is obvious, manhandling someone off the bus could result in an assault charge when other passengers say the guy did nothing wrong, the driver didn't see him doing anything wrong, and the victim doesn't speak up. People get caught up in bad situations trying to do something good all the time.

Sorry to hear that your daughter was involved. Glad she came forward and the police dealt with the perp in the fashion that they did.

completely. Exactly. I agree. It would have been an a assault charge for sure. It really boiled down to the combination of the original FB post that allowed other victims to realize they weren't alone. And how seriously Vic PD were. I was more than impressed.
I hope too people realize this type of situation was not were a young lady would yell out. Being confined and unsure of your perpetrator was definitely at play here. I've never felt such a horrible vibe from someone before. Legit 100% predator. Worrisome where and when he'll strike next.

#9585 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

Reminds me of this ironically truthful ad DP-w_3_HUEAImwwj.jpg

Edited by PraiseKek, 25 February 2018 - 01:32 PM.

• martini and A Girl is No one like this

#9586 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

Perhaps not convicted, but I'd never say never about getting charged under those circumstances. There are lawyers willing to take on just about any cause to make a name for themselves.

And don’t forget that they have access to an organized mob of tax payer funded activist lawyers that we do not have access to.

#9587 Gipper

Gipper
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:05 PM

What the hell is this all about?
Witness in UVic sex assault trial claims responsibility for crime in bizarre twist

I guess it didn't work. Convicted.

http://www.timescolo...ents-1.23185734

#9588 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:03 AM

Body found by Selkirk Trestle last night.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#9589 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:29 AM

Well that guy that was missing two weeks back is likely candidate.

That’s the exact area they were searching.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 February 2018 - 07:30 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9590 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

Now confirmed on Twitter by VicPD that the recovered body is the same guy that went missing

#9591 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,848 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:08 PM

Now confirmed on Twitter by VicPD that the recovered body is the same guy that went missing

:(

#9592 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

^^Last week the family had scheduled a celebration of life ceremony for next month. They must have been certain he intended to kill himself, perhaps a suicide note was found.

#9593 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

I think that’s one reason the search area was so specific.

#9594 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

Lockdown at Bayside Middle School. Cops searching for "suspicious person".

#9595 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:15 PM

One student was hospitalized. Students observed someone with a “weapon.”

ERT arrived at about 12:30. The lockdown was just lifted.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9596 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

One student was hospitalized. Students observed someone with a “weapon.”

Hospitalized for what, anxiety?  If so, that was the only casualty of this non-emergency.

Big response to Bayside lockdown

The Mar. 1 lockdown at École Bayside Middle School prompted the largest emergency response ever for School District 63. Sgt. Paul Brailey of Central Saanich Police said while there have been emergency calls to schools before, “this is probably the most substantial one we’ve dealt with over the years.”

Brailey said a number of students had seen a possibly masked person in the bushes around Bayside that they believed had a firearm. He said a number of students provided similar, detailed descriptions, which was credible enough to warrant a response, but acknowledged that the potential weapon could have been a paintball gun or something similar. Police arrived around 11:15 a.m. No suspect was located after a four-hour search involving a K-9 unit and several police departments.

Brailey said standard protocol for any school lockdown is to secure the perimeter, then call the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team (GVERT), which is comprised of officers from across the CRD. The Sidney/North Saanich RCMP assisted in containing the area.

“The main thing is making sure the school’s protected; secondary is the search of the area once we know the school is protected and no one can get in or out,” said Brailey.

#9597 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

So it took you two days to conclude it was a non-emergency? Why so long?

Know it all.

#9598 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

It took me two days to stop laughing at such a ridiculous response.  Someone may have had a mask on and may have had a weapon?  Central Saanich PD has been watching too much TV.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 March 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#9599 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

Are you the resident HB now?

There’s nothing funny about this. This was handled just as it should have been, unless you believe cops are psychic and should know when a reported incident is real or not.
  • Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.

#9600 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

I was planning on mulling things over a couple days initial responses can sometimes be over-reactive.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users