The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21590 replies to this topic

#9601 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

In the immediate aftermath of the Parkland shooting, progressive activists and commentators (including this one) repeatedly claimed that there had been 18 school shootings since the start of this year. This proved to be a gross exaggeration. In reality, according to new research from Northeastern University, there have been a grand total of eight mass shootings (shootings that kill at least four people) at K-through-12 schools in the United States since 1996. Meanwhile, over the past 20 years, the number of fatal shootings in American schools (of any kind) has plummeted.

http://nymag.com/dai...-shootings.html

So in light of all that, why would Central Saanich police reactions be so much stronger, than they were in say, 1995?  It makes no sense.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 March 2018 - 02:34 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9602 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

Overreactive how? You mean we dispatched the ERT? Whose job it is to be dispatched in the event an incident just like the one they were dispatched to is reported?

It’s not like 300 cops swarmed the area, it’s not like the military was brought in with choppers and tanks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9603 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:35 PM

Are you the resident HB now? ....................

Case in point, there’s nothing funny about this.

Edited by todd, 03 March 2018 - 02:37 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and sdwright.vic like this

#9604 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:36 PM

Overreactive how? You mean we dispatched the ERT? 

The ERT should be dispatched where there is a real person with a gun.  There appears to have been none of either here. If there was indeed multiple reports of this person with a gun, where is even a very basic description of the suspect?  None appears to have been reported to assist police.

Central Saanich Police Chief Les Sylven said officers searched the woods near the school and farther afield but were unable to find anyone matching a description provided by students.

http://www.timescolo...dent-1.23188987

Police did not find anyone matching the description given to them by the students.

https://www.cheknews...-school-424305/

Police were called to Bayside Middle School around 11:15 a.m. Thursday after students reported a strange man who was possibly armed on the periphery of the school grounds.

Police later confirmed that no such man was found after an extensive search.

They also tweeted that a Bayside student received medical attention for an apparently unrelated issue during the lockdown. 

https://vancouverisl...chool-1.3824792

Look, Central Saanich Police, if there was really a threat, release the description(s) so we can all help catch this madman.  Alas, they are not going to do that. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 March 2018 - 02:44 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9605 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

My elementary school was locked down back in the mid-1990’s when someone arrived to the parking lot and a student said they had glimpsed a shotgun in the trunk of their car. There was a huge police response then, too.

I don’t see how any of this is funny. I don’t see how being proactive is wrong.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9606 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:41 PM

The ERT should be dispatched where there is a real person with a gun. There appears to have been none of either here.

You sure?

Because more often than not they are dispatched when there is no real gun to speak of.

ERT’s job is to assess and eliminate threats. Eliminating a threat does not always equal taking down a suspect or making an arrest.

Know it all.

#9607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

Now, mind you, thanks to the ERT we can now lean back in our chairs and proclaim there was no threat.

Say, how’s the Oak Bay machete slasher case going?

Know it all.

#9608 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

No suspect was located following the report of a suspicious person with a possible weapon near Bayside Middle School. We would like to acknowledge all of the people involved in the day’s events. The school implemented its hold and secure and lock down procedures and school staff did everything they could to keep students safe and calm during a high stress dynamic situation.  We would like to thank the parents of Bayside students who trusted our officers to conduct their work and allowed the members to take the time necessary to ensure their safety.  Finally, we would like to express gratitude to our partners, including the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team, Saanich Police K-9 unit,  Victoria Police K-9 unit, North Saanich/Sidney RCMP, BC Ambulance Service and Central Saanich Fire Department for their collaboration and expertise through the day.  Strength through community.

http://cspolice.ca/s...chool-lockdown/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 March 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#9609 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

The incident sure makes the case for police amalgamation, doesn’t it?

Know it all.

#9610 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

Now, mind you, thanks to the ERT we can now lean back in our chairs and proclaim there was no threat.

Is there no threat?  Can "the (undescribed) man" come back Monday just as easily?  I guess the public certainly does not know how to spot him if he does.  We'll just do it all over again based on weak reports.   Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team, Saanich Police K-9 unit, Victoria Police K-9 unit, North Saanich/Sidney RCMP, BC Ambulance Service and Central Saanich Fire Department can all have another 4-hour romp around.

#9611 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:50 PM

Yup, they sure can.

They’ll have another four hour romp around tonight as they deal prepare for a possible fallout from over serving patrons alcohol at local bars.

Know it all.

#9612 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

They’ll have another four hour romp around tonight as they deal prepare for a possible fallout from over serving patrons alcohol at local bars.

They’ll have another four hour romp around tonight as they deal prepare for a possible fallout from over-consuming patrons - of alcohol and other substances - that then present at local bars.

Local bars are not the culprit, the patrons are. And the craziest ones will be on other drugs, and/or alcohol that was not served to them at the bars.

#9613 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:55 PM

Yeahuh.

Remember the time I had to remind a bartender to cut off a couple of goofs he was over serving? I see it all the time, you see it all the time.

Know it all.

#9614 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

I’ve seen people overserved. But rarely are they a police problem afterwards.

#9615 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, that is true. But given the right circumstances they’re more likely to be, I guess is what I’m saying.

Know it all.

#9616 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

My elementary school was locked down back in the mid-1990’s when someone arrived to the parking lot and a student said they had glimpsed a shotgun in the trunk of their car. There was a huge police response then, too.

I don’t see how any of this is funny. I don’t see how being proactive is wrong.

We used to go to school with rifles in the rack in the back window of our trucks, nobody called the police.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#9617 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:54 AM

^ Yes that was the case until this regulation came into effect in 1998.

• (2) Subject to subsection (3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if

• (a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and

• (b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.

http://laws-lois.jus...page-2.html#h-8

Note the regulation above refers to the transportation of an unrestricted firearm (read rifle) in an unattended vehicle. I don't know how you can transport anything in an unattended vehicle. In addition to this there doesn't appear to be any regulations as to how to transport an unrestricted firearm in an "attended vehicle".

My firearms course instructor was under the impression that one could drive around with a rifle mounted on an "Easy Rider Rifle Rack" if it was attached to the rack (maybe a lockable clamp of some sorts) thereby complying with display regulations, while someone over 19 was in control of the vehicle (thereby it being attended).

There was a case a while ago where a person was walking down Burnside with a rifle slung over his shoulder late at night. Someone called the cops. It turns out that he was moving from one residence to another and he didn't own a vehicle. When he was asked why he was walking down the street with a firearm.... he answered "I didn't want to take it on the bus".

I think the cops drove him to his new residence.

#9618 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:35 PM

What really amazes me is in the US there are hundreds of thousands of people with carry permits and whole bunch more with concealed carry permits.

With that in mind why do the police respond to "man with a gun" call? Who calls it in? Obviously they would have to have the gun out and being used in a threatening manner, so that would be "man using a gun". 

We were in an Arby's one day for lunch, this 5'2" 300 pounder was sluicing down his food and had a pistol strapped under his humongous gut. I don't think he could have got it out if he had to. But I felt way safer knowing he was there to protect me should things go sideways.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#9619 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:40 PM

Funny thing. I was out in the forest lands around Jordan River today and saw tons of guys shooting guns. You heard a pop or a shot gun blast literally every minute. Hours of it.

Know it all.

#9620 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

At 3 pm today a fellow was walking on Vancouver Street between Royal Athletic Park and the Pandora McDonalds carrying one of the U-Bicycles on his shoulders. It was missing the wheels and the seat. Any updates on how the program is doing? 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users