The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21566 replies to this topic

#11621 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,949 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:25 PM

crown will wrap up their closing remarks today in berry trial. judge instructions to jury next week.

#11622 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:33 AM

Man appealing genetic genealogy murder conviction was a violent child, his family told police

https://www.cbc.ca/n...views-1.5286050

When William Talbott II spoke this summer during his sentencing for murdering a young B.C. couple in Washington state more than 30 years ago, he told the court he wasn't a violent person.

"The level of violence in this is something that I can't even comprehend," Talbott said before he was sentenced for killing 18-year-old Tanya van Cuylenborg and 20-year-old Jay Cook. "I've gone all my life as a very passive person, never raising my hand towards anyone. I rarely even get angry." 

Van Cuylenborg and Cook had been travelling from Saanich, B.C., to Seattle for an overnight trip in November 1987 when they disappeared. She was found shot to death in a ditch in rural Washington state six days later. Cook was strangled to death and his body was found two days after his girlfriend's. 

The Fifth Estate is producing a documentary about the case. It will be broadcast during the show's season premiere on Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on CBC-TV.

jay-cook-and-tanya-van-cuylenborg.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 September 2019 - 06:33 AM.

#11623 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:55 AM

^-- On a recent walk through the Ross Bay cemetery, I happened upon Tanya's grave marker. Had no idea she was buried there. Close to the path on the Dallas Road side.

Edited by grantpalin, 21 September 2019 - 11:55 AM.

#11624 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:02 PM

Langford RBC Royal Bank branch robbed

On September 23, 2019 at 2:20 p.m. West Shore RCMP were called to the West Shore Town Centre Royal Bank of Canada branch located at 2945 Jacklin Road, Langford for a robbery. Bank employees reported an adult male suspect produced a robbery note and left the bank with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Police attended the scene and have obtained evidence. The suspect was not observed producing any weapon.

"The West Shore RCMP Major Crime Unit remain at the West Shore Town Centre RBC branch and are gathering evidence and following up on various leads. Further details will be released as the investigation develops," says Cpl. Chris Dovell spokesperson for the West Shore RCMP.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11625 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:09 PM

honestly they need a net that just drops from the ceiling for this kind of thing.  i'm pretty sure even b & r got caught up in that type of a trap.  or the various villains in scooby doo.  

140797347.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 September 2019 - 03:12 PM.

#11626 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:10 PM

Maybe an opening in the floor?
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11627 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:38 PM

trap.gif

burns-heir11.png

• Mike K. likes this

#11628 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:42 PM

7FB90B99-CCF8-4E84-853E-BF46EDD16101.gif
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#11629 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

the andrew berry trial is over to the jury now.

https://www.timescol...jury-1.23956424

i think this could go either way.  or the third way a hung jury.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 September 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#11630 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

UPDATE | VicPD Block Watch Sign Revitalization 63% Complete

Victoria, BC – VicPD’s Block Watch Sign Revitalization project is well underway.

Thanks to excellent work by City of Victoria and Township of Esquimalt staff working in partnership with Kimberly Kelley, our VicPD Block Watch and Community Programs Coordinator, our VicPD Block Watch Sign Revitalization process is now 63% complete.

· 46% of Block Watch Signs in Esquimalt have been replaced with the new, revitalized VicPD Block Watch signs.
· 69% of Block Watch Signs in Victoria have been replaced with the new, revitalized VicPD Block Watch signs.

The enthusiastic support by municipal staff has been instrumental to our success so far. “(We) have no problem with assistance as we love to support the police,” Dave Watts, Supervisor, Surface infrastructure, Construction & Maintenance with the City of Victoria, said.

Last year, we began the process of revitalizing the VicPD Block Watch program. We met with our VicPD Block Watch Captains, VicPD Block Watch participants and citizens at our open house and listened through our VicPD Block Watch program survey. During those conversations we heard time and again how important signs are to program participants. VicPD Block Watch signs let everyone know that the community on that block cares about each other and are looking out for one another.

We created our new, high visibility VicPD Block Watch sign to highlight our revitalized program in action.

The VicPD Block Watch Program has 157 active blocks across Victoria and Esquimalt. Thousands of volunteer VicPD Block Watch Program participants help keep a safe eye on their neighbours, supported by hundreds of VicPD Block Watch Captains.

For more information or to help someone join a VicPD Block Watch group please visit https://vicpd.ca/blockwatch.

Know it all.

#11631 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:10 PM

Verdict at 5:30 pm in the Berry trial.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#11632 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

Guilty on both counts.

#11633 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

This whole mess was heartbreaking.

My heart goes out to those two innocent girls.
  • sebberry and pennymurphy2000 like this

#11634 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:36 PM

cbc:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rdict-1.5296462

#11635 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:17 PM

From what I could get from media reports seem to be a somewhat reasonable doubt sure hope he did it.

#11636 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

From what I could get from media reports seem to be a somewhat reasonable doubt sure hope he did it.

Really?  A story cribbed from the true crime story FATAL VISION provided reasonable doubt?

#11637 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

Really?  A story cribbed from the true crime story FATAL VISION provided reasonable doubt?

No somewhat would be beyond reasonable doubt. Haven’t seen that movie I was thinking of a different one actually. Most movies are loosely based on real life however. The story he gave was plausible(?) but apparently not believable.

Never saw the man’s facial expressions myself and going off media reports so I’ll have to trust the jury. Wrongful conviction is scary.

#11638 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:04 PM

I just returned from visiting a friend that recently relocated to Nanaimo. Items from his patio were stolen last night. It’s not the first time it has happened.

The citizens of Nanaimo are getting pissed off with the large increase in thefts in the city.

One business owner is organizing a public meeting to discuss solutions.

https://www.nanaimob...ime-in-nanaimo/

#11639 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,025 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:33 PM

Salt Spring has been enjoying its share of petty crime in the “downtown” core over the last little while, so the CRD director for Salt Spring is proposing to add something like $65,000 to the budget via a new tax to fund some local crime prevention. There is nothing specific the money is to be used for, it’s sort of open ended, all in the name of “community safety”. Cameras, community watch programs, perhaps some funding for auxiliary rcmp...

This is being done via a counter petition, where unless 10% of eligible voters sign a petition against the new tax, it’s approved.

Keep in mind Salt Spring is unincorporated.

Matt.

#11640 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:50 AM

^ 10% of the CRD population or 10% of Salt Spring population?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

David Bratzer, Daveyboy