• Please log in to reply
21581 replies to this topic

#15861 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:07 PM

more clarity in the TC article:

On Saturday, the witness recorded the licence plate of the suspect’s vehicle and reported the incident to Saanich police.

Police said the suspect was arrested on Sunday and later released with a court date in September on condition that he not attend a park, swimming area, playground or school where children under the age of 16 are present.

https://www.timescol...each-1.24346710

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 July 2021 - 04:07 PM.

#15862 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:25 PM

Colwood man pleads guilty, sentenced for impaired driving, theft, break-and-enter

Beau Stirling’s criminal record not lengthy, but severe, judge said

July 27, 2021

A Colwood man whose once-promising lacrosse career was derailed by a high-speed crash in 2003 is facing further penalties for a string of more recent offences.

Beau Stirling was sentenced at the Western Communities Courthouse July 27 after pleading guilty to three charges, which included impaired driving, theft and breaking and entering.

Stirling served three years in prison from 2005 to 2008 for negligence causing bodily harm as the driver in a 2003 crash that killed Ken Hamilton and Travis Bateman, and seriously injured passenger Adrian Harding and himself.

His parents and girlfriend were with him in court, a testament, Drury said to the support he now has. His father, John (Phil) Stirling, served several years in U.S. prison for cocaine smuggling. He was arrested again in 2020 when he was found with 28 jugs of liquid methamphetamine on board his boat, and sentenced to three years.

#15863 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:47 PM

The original crash was on the Old Island Highway in his '63 Chevy Impala. That one bad decision has ruined his life. I hope he can turn himself around. Very sad. 

#15864 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:27 PM

You can have a career as a lacrosse player?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15865 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:27 PM

28 jugs of liquid meth? What’s the conversion on that like I wonder.

Sounds charming.

Matt.

#15866 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:35 AM

The conversion should be life imprisonment in the worst hole we can find,

#15867 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:37 AM

She met the agent on Tinder. At 28, Chelsea was trying out the app for the first time and was wary of meeting up with someone she didn’t know. But, when she swiped on the agent’s profile and saw he worked for a local Royal LePage branch, she felt a sense of security knowing he was easily searchable online and worked in the public eye.

Black Press Media is not naming the agent as charges were not laid.

A week of messaging went by and Chelsea agreed to meet at the agent’s home. Almost immediately after arriving, Chelsea said he started pressuring her to have sex. He was pushy, persistent and aggressive, she said.

As things began to escalate she told him no, she didn’t want to have sex; no, she didn’t want to go to the bedroom; no, she didn’t want him to take off her clothes. But he kept going. And eventually, Chelsea said she gave up.

“I always thought I would fight back. The shame and the guilt that I didn’t, and admitting I was actually intimidated by him…”

https://www.vicnews....ithout-justice/

what am i missing here?  why didn't she just leave?  i have read the story twice and don't think i missed anything.

But, lawyer Elizabete Costa said it isn’t a police officer’s job to determine that. Instead, admissibility and time passed are factors the B.C. Prosecution Service could consider upon receiving the report. As well, the defence could use such considerations to argue if charges were to make it to trial.

According to the Saanich Police Department, between 2011 and May 25, 2021, it received 858 sexual assault reports. Of those, charge consideration reports were sent to Crown on 173 instances, and 153 of those went to court. That means Saanich police sent forward about 20 per cent of sexual assault reports.

Yet a 2016 meta-analysis published in the Archives of Sexual Behaviour found 95 per cent of reported sexual assaults are true, not accounting for the vast majority that go unreported.

Costa said for change to occur there needs to be mandatory training in the handling of sexual assault reports at every level of the justice system and she believes police shouldn’t be handling them at all.

“I would not trust a white male police officer to have a clue as to what consent is in law,” she said. “It should not be left in the hands of an institution like the police that we already know to be sexist and racist.”

how pleasant.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 July 2021 - 07:44 AM.

#15868 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:12 AM

So if police officers (white males?) can’t figure out the rules, how are every other men expected to know… or does she mean that all white males are incapable of knowing?

#15869 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:32 AM

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers 

@saanichpolice are trying to identify the male shown in the pictures. He is a suspect in a case of a break and enter where a secure underground parking lot was broken into. Once in the locked area he stole a bicycle.

If you know who he is tell us anonymously and we will let the police know his identity.

Call 1-800-222-8477 or submit a tip online at victoriacrimestoppers.ca

Your tip could earn you a cash reward if it solves the crime.

F/N: #21-15560

226114921_4066039650116468_3208789194736 224040157_4066039660116467_2076631050939

#15870 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:37 AM

“I would not trust a white male police officer to have a clue as to what consent is in law,” she said. “It should not be left in the hands of an institution like the police that we already know to be sexist and racist.”...

Imagine the uproar if this sort of statement was made about ANY other group.  :whyme:

• sebberry, A Girl is No one, Vicrazy and 1 other like this

#15871 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:54 AM

But, lawyer Elizabete Costa said it isn’t a police officer’s job to determine that. Instead, admissibility and time passed are factors the B.C. Prosecution Service could consider upon receiving the report. As well, the defence could use such considerations to argue if charges were to make it to trial.

“I would not trust a white male police officer to have a clue as to what consent is in law,” she said. “It should not be left in the hands of an institution like the police that we already know to be sexist and racist.”

Isn't she the one that is being sexist and racist by making that statement?  I don't know if I would trust her objectivity as a lawyer.  

• Nparker likes this

#15872 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:58 AM

every female lawyer is completely incompetent. we already know this.

/ making a similar remark as her.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 July 2021 - 11:59 AM.

#15873 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:10 PM

She met the agent on Tinder. At 28, Chelsea was trying out the app for the first time and was wary of meeting up with someone she didn’t know. But, when she swiped on the agent’s profile and saw he worked for a local Royal LePage branch, she felt a sense of security knowing he was easily searchable online and worked in the public eye.

Black Press Media is not naming the agent as charges were not laid.

A week of messaging went by and Chelsea agreed to meet at the agent’s home. Almost immediately after arriving, Chelsea said he started pressuring her to have sex. He was pushy, persistent and aggressive, she said.

As things began to escalate she told him no, she didn’t want to have sex; no, she didn’t want to go to the bedroom; no, she didn’t want him to take off her clothes. But he kept going. And eventually, Chelsea said she gave up.

“I always thought I would fight back. The shame and the guilt that I didn’t, and admitting I was actually intimidated by him…”

https://www.vicnews....ithout-justice/

what am i missing here?  why didn't she just leave?  i have read the story twice and don't think i missed anything.

Read it a third time.  She said "I was intimidated by him". Perhaps she was scared he would get angry and violent if she tried to leave, so she felt it was less risky to give in to his advances.  

• Brayvehart likes this

#15874 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:12 PM

I guess. but she went to his place on her own. maybe just try to leave first. same way you came.

I don’t know. being alone with a guy should not be all the basis you need to feel overwhelming intimidation. even if he’s aggressive.

I think tinder “dating” is for the lazy, sloppy and uncreative to begin with.

it seems to me every story is like the survivor stories on Instagram. they skip ahead to “next thing you know I’m at his place naked” etc.

it’s all odd.

I am genuinely glad she got her 48 counselling sessions paid for though.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 July 2021 - 12:22 PM.

#15875 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:46 PM

How about he should have respected her boundaries the first time she said no? That's what a decent human being would do in that situation.  

• Matt R., Brayvehart and m3m like this

#15876 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:49 PM

On the down side, well over half of downtown businesses saw a reduction in staff and profits between 2019 and 2020 as a result of the pandemic economy. After COVID, however, most businesses saw the downtown’s cleanliness and safety as the greatest negative impact on their vitality and called for an increased police presence.

”Crime stats paint a picture,” Bray said, regarding recent stats putting Victoria’s crime severity index as highest in the province. “It’s still very safe downtown, people feel very safe downtown. But our businesses need to see that support.”

https://www.vicnews....uring-pandemic/

#15877 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:50 PM

How about he should have respected her boundaries the first time she said no? That's what a decent human being would do in that situation.

for sure.

but the men are rarely if ever interviewed for their side of the story. this anonymous woman got 53 paragraphs. this story never indicates they contacted the man for his story. If you give 53 paragraphs to one side of the story why not contact the guy and ask him about it?

I am also not sure if you know what tinder is for. it’s overwhelmingly used for “sex on the first ‘date’”.

maybe she now knows that after her 48 counselling sessions.

I want some people - including women - to step up and take some responsibly for their actions and even the consequences. even though I know that’s a hard concept to follow, even for those that insist on gender equality on other issues.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 July 2021 - 01:03 PM.

#15878 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:04 PM

Because you believe that if a woman doesn't leave when she feels scared or intimidated by a man, she's basically giving consent.  

• Brayvehart likes this

#15879 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:04 PM

I never even came anything close to saying that.

Read my responses more closely. They are usually lengthy and comprehensive.

Nobody is more careful with words here than I am.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 July 2021 - 01:10 PM.

#15880 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:13 PM

"Nobody is more careful with words her than I am."

Little Freudian slip...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

pontcanna, Love the rock