Photo

Pacific FC | Canadian Premier League

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#321 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

I heard that Pacific FC came to the CoV about RAP but didn't really get anywhere.

#322 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

Honestly, it was leaps and bounds better than going to a Royals game. 

Are you meaning to tell me you've become tired of the "been-this-way-forever" game day promotions, such as screaming your head off for a bag of chips or pizza, flailing your BCAA card around for a gift card, aimlessly tossing a foam puck in the hopes of winning a free oil change that you'll never use, or having a deadpan Pol Plastino try to pump up the crowd?

Ya the Royals definitely need to spice up their promo department.

• Matt R., Greg and thundergun like this

#323 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:36 AM

lol exactly. 

You can add the Tim Horton's coffee cup shuffle and dance for your dinner to the list too. 

#324 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:47 PM

I heard that Pacific FC came to the CoV about RAP but didn't really get anywhere.

Sort of. The CoV is loyal to the HarbourCats whose schedule takes first priority at the park now. Beyond that, I am pretty sure they were not willing to put in the kind of stadium upgrades that Stu was offering.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#325 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:08 PM

Damn, is that what that is? I was meaning to come on here and figure out if Sysco was building a massive new warehouse or something.

Alpine is doing something up that way, too.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#326 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:16 AM

Sort of. The CoV is loyal to the HarbourCats whose schedule takes first priority at the park now. Beyond that, I am pretty sure they were not willing to put in the kind of stadium upgrades that Stu was offering.

I don't think there's any reasonable doubt that the CoV absolutely would not have put any money forward towards upgrades. 

#327 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:31 AM

Three red cards Monday means we have one player out (Gonzalez) and Calgary has two for Saturday.

CanPL Discipline report

#328 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:18 PM

3-2 loss to calgary today at westhills.

attendance 2,399

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 July 2019 - 06:19 PM.

#329 Brayvehart

Brayvehart
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:56 AM

1 : 0 victory over York 9 FC at a sold-out (6,244) Wanderers Grounds yesterday.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#330 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 05:08 AM

certainly halifax is the big leader in the league for attendance.

• Brayvehart likes this

#331 Brayvehart

Brayvehart
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 07 July 2019 - 05:49 AM

It's kind of the perfect storm out here in Halifax. No major professional sports at all in the immediate area at any time of the year. The only other sports that draw any crowds are the Mooosheads (QMJHL) and the Hurricanes (NBL - semi-pro at best), and both of these leagues run during the CPL off-season.

Greater Victoria/CRD is similar in population to the HRM, and Vancouver Island and Nova Scotia are comparable as well. So population-wise they should be able to draw similar attendance numbers.

Unfortunately during the CPL season out in BC, sports fans have several pro sports offerings to choose from within a reasonable distance: Whitecaps (MLS - though they're playing poopily enough that them losing to Cavalry FC in the Canadian Championship is not inconceivable at this point), Lions (CFL), and Mariners (MLB)...I suppose the opening weeks of the Seahawks may also impact attendances near the end of the CPL season.

Hopefully the Island can get behind the team in time. It's already pretty entertaining soccer, and the quality can only go up in subsequent seasons.

#332 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 05:58 AM

It's kind of the perfect storm out here in Halifax. No major professional sports at all in the immediate area at any time of the year. The only other sports that draw any crowds are the Mooosheads (QMJHL) and the Hurricanes (NBL - semi-pro at best), and both of these leagues run during the CPL off-season.

Greater Victoria/CRD is similar in population to the HRM, and Vancouver Island and Nova Scotia are comparable as well. So population-wise they should be able to draw similar attendance numbers.

Unfortunately during the CPL season out in BC, sports fans have several pro sports offerings to choose from within a reasonable distance: Whitecaps (MLS - though they're playing poopily enough that them losing to Cavalry FC in the Canadian Championship is not inconceivable at this point), Lions (CFL), and Mariners (MLB)...I suppose the opening weeks of the Seahawks may also impact attendances near the end of the CPL season.

Hopefully the Island can get behind the team in time. It's already pretty entertaining soccer, and the quality can only go up in subsequent seasons.

yes.  but you might oversubscribe the amount of overlap for those teams.  getting on and off our island with a car is a $175+ proposition normally (each way $57 for the car and $17 for each person in it).  and can be a 4-hour trip each way.  more to go all the way to seattle.

local competition is in the form of the highlanders soccer (much less expensive tickets than pfc) and then summer competition is harbourcats baseball and shamrocks lacrosse.  i guess you could also throw in car racing at western speedway.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 July 2019 - 06:02 AM.

#333 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:35 AM

Big difference is demographics and cost of living. Much less disposable income in Victoria and a much older population.

#334 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:52 AM

Big difference is demographics and cost of living. Much less disposable income in Victoria 

??

#335 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:56 AM

Big difference is demographics and cost of living. Much less disposable income in Victoria and a much older population.

median ages:

Victoria: 41.9

Halifax: 39.9

#336 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:58 AM

I would assume Victoria has much higher disposable income than Halifax. Definitely more millionaires.

#337 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:59 AM

and 100x more mortgage-free $500,000+ value homes.  i think the team is just in a real nice sweet spot.  and probably did a great job of marketing.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 July 2019 - 10:00 AM.

#338 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:33 AM

plus Canadian Championship last night:

Halifax loses 3-2 to Ottawa Fury at Halifax - another sellout last night
York ties Montreal Impact 2-2 5252 in Toronto
Calgary ties Whitecaps 0-0 5129 in Calgary

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 July 2019 - 03:38 AM.

#339 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:51 AM

I think it is simpler than that. They need to stop scheduling afternoon games on the weekends.

During the day on weekends, residents of Victoria have other things to do by choice or not. Some people have to work, some have family and friend obligations but mostly what they have is outdoor activities that, unfortunately, are more appealing/urgent at that moment. (Especially in a league where they will play the same team multiple times).

I base my opinion on regular attendance at Victoria United, Victoria Highlanders, and now Pacific FC games since 1995. Friday and Saturday evenings casual fans are more likely to come out. Early evening allows for either going out afterwards or taking the kids home to bed (depending on your demographic.)

I also believe the perception of many (maybe most) is that if you go to a game in the afternoon, your whole day is done. If it is in the evening, you can do other things as well.

• Mike K. likes this

#340 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:22 PM

Theodore Tugboat in Halifax Harbour.

EFBE9226-90EA-401F-8E5B-AF0726A03359.jpeg

Edit: Didn’t upload correctly, went back and rotated the photo to account for the board software, still displays wrong. Derp.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 12 July 2019 - 09:27 PM.

• tedward likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users