Pacific FC | Canadian Premier League

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#381 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:39 PM

It’s a dream come true, both for the Canadian Premier League and one of its most promising young stars.

Cavalry FC goalkeeper Marco Carducci has been named to the Canadian men’s team roster for a pair of upcoming matches against Cuba, marking the first time a CPL player has earned a call-up to the senior side.

“Marco’s call-up is well deserved. I’m pretty excited to get him in and start working with him. You only have to look at the stats on Marco in the CPL,” Canadian coach John Herdman said during a conference call on Wednesday afternoon.

https://canpl.ca/art...-canada-call-up

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 August 2019 - 05:39 PM.

#382 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

New signing, this time a loan deal for another Whitecap midfielder, David Norman Jr : http://pacificfc.can...david-norman-jr

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#383 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:11 AM

2124 last night. sets new low mark unfortunately. photos I saw looks less too.

#384 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

Well we're into the school year now, so I would expect mid-week attendance to drop significantly

• tedward likes this

#385 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

last night

#386 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:41 AM

#387 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:54 AM

It was not great. It was made worse by the angle of the TV cameras which don't show the people in the beer and margarita gardens. 

As I have said since before the season started, mid-week games are a bad decision by the league (or the club). 

Edited by tedward, 05 September 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#388 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:35 AM

For those who might want to catch the game tomorrow but not have to deal with the traffic, the club, in partnership with Darcy's Pub offers a  FREE shuttle from downtown (register at this link). Cruise in comfort past the worst of the crawl in the bus lanes!

And for the first time (how did it take this long?) there will also be a free shuttle from UVic leaving at 4:45 from Felicita's.

#389 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:43 AM

For those who might want to catch the game tomorrow but not have to deal with the traffic, the club, in partnership with Darcy's Pub offers a  FREE shuttle from downtown (register at this link). Cruise in comfort past the worst of the crawl in the bus lanes!

And for the first time (how did it take this long?) there will also be a free shuttle from UVic leaving at 4:45 from Felicita's.

Fall semester has just started, and summer students don't matter  ;)

• tedward likes this

#390 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

that’s true.

#391 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:48 PM

Fall semester has just started, and summer students don't matter  ;)

Sure, but busloads of foreign English-language students looking for group activities would have filled seats nicely. ;)

Oh, and just in case: bus is now leaving at 4:30. 

Edited by tedward, 11 September 2019 - 02:49 PM.

#392 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:27 PM

Maybe weeknight games should be cheap, cheap, cheap or family nights where one adult pays, partner and kids free.  Fill those seats....That photo above doesn't look very good at all...

#393 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:35 AM

announced crowd 1200 even last night. friends there say it looked more like 500. that’s the lowest in the entire league all season. 2-0 loss.

that would mean team ownership lost $75,000+ on that game alone.

i’m not sure this can carry on.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 September 2019 - 02:38 AM.

#394 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:36 AM

If the whole league doesn’t fold by seasons end I think at least a few teams will drop out.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 September 2019 - 02:40 AM.

#395 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:41 AM

last night:

https://en.wikipedia...r_League_season

three home games left:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 September 2019 - 03:54 AM.

#396 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

Maybe weeknight games should be cheap, cheap, cheap or family nights where one adult pays, partner and kids free.  Fill those seats....That photo above doesn't look very good at all...

Weeknight games should be ****ing abolished, especially once school starts. Who takes kids to a game on a school night when you won't get home until 9:30-10:00 pm?!?

Anyone with a brain knew that this year would see massive losses. It should also be fairly obvious, at least I have been saying so since before it was even announced that a team was coming to Victoria, that merely surviving to a second season would be a huge accomplishment. It will also be effective in getting a lot of the doubters off the fence. There is a massive chunk of the community who basically revel in seeing things fail and/or are mistrustful after all the failures of soccer in Canada and Victoria in particular.

I know that Alex Campbell and the Highlanders were effectively destroyed by this sort of schadenfreude, mistrust and also a healthy dose of lack of confidence in what this town can achieve. Add to that the still overpowering "we'll never be as good as the EPL/LA Liga/Bundesliga" crowd and we get the results currently seen.

The thing is, if we can survive to next year, people will start to come around. All the interactions the team has had and will have with the local community to build trust and awareness will pay off. This year the team started playing games basically as the youth soccer season was winding down for the summer. Next year, they will have had a whole season to work with youth clubs, get their brand better known and hopefully, learn some lessons about scheduling.

And they will also be a better team on the pitch. This team is the youngest in the league by a longshot and it has taken a while to build them into a competitive unit. If they can bring back 60-70% of this years roster for next year, I think we finish at or near the top of the table rather than mid to bottom. And that also helps when selling tickets.

Edited by tedward, 12 September 2019 - 08:21 AM.

#397 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:30 AM

you are probably right. also selling sponsorships. I see they have little or even no local corporate support.

but I get the feeling they expected to average at least 4,000 this year. then 5,000+ next. It looks like that’s not going to happen. so if they are $25,000 per game under revenue projections both this year and next how long can they sustain those losses? when they need close to 6,000 just to break even.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 September 2019 - 08:34 AM.

• tedward likes this

#398 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:59 AM

Let's be honest here, soccer is hardly a sport most sports fans want to watch live. It's exciting when it's the World Cup or whatever, but the rest of the time it's not particularly popular.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#399 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:13 AM

Let's be honest here, soccer is hardly a sport most sports fans want to watch live. It's exciting when it's the World Cup or whatever, but the rest of the time it's not particularly popular.

You need to get yourself to Seattle for a Sounders game, my friend. 40,000+ every single game. Or Atlanta, where they regularly pull in more than 70,000 a game.

Soccer is one of the most popular spectator sports on the planet, year round.

• tedward likes this

#400 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users