• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9101 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 May 2021 - 03:41 PM

I like Young on most issues but we can't forget he runs (or used to as it says he's now retired) a consulting firm with none other than Rob Wickson.  

• rjag and Victoria Watcher like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9102 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:12 PM

Young was the deciding vote against.  He is drinkin the coolaid....and now maintaining the same nonsense.  He pulled the same stunt with Picnic Point.

How can you say he was the deciding vote any more than Helps or anyone else that voted against the proposal?

#9103 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:36 PM

Because we expected better of him.  Well, actually I didn’t.  He’s always been on the wrong side of park road closure issues.  I used to accept his occasionally swerves into wokedom.  But I’ve had enough.  He’s not getting my vote next time if there is any half acceptable alternative.

• rmpeers likes this

#9104 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:43 PM

A former assistant to the mayor of Victoria has been sentenced to six years in prison for sexual assault and sexual exploitation in Alberta.

Richard Elliot was sentenced in an Alberta court Wednesday on two counts of sexual assault and one count of sexual exploitation.

The charges date back to a time before Elliot served as an executive assistant in the office of Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps and the office of the city manager.

https://vancouverisl...berta-1.5445896

City hall correspondence indicates Elliot was working in the mayor's office as recently as April.

Elliot was sentenced to six years, less 98 days for time served in pre-trial custody. He is also prohibited from owning or using firearms.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 May 2021 - 04:44 PM.

#9105 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:48 PM

Young was the deciding vote against. He is drinkin the coolaid....and now maintaining the same nonsense. He pulled the same stunt with Picnic Point.

What stunt? Young has been talking about closing Cover Point to vehicles for almost 30 years.
  • Rob Randall and Victoria Watcher like this

#9106 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 09:13 PM

I don't know Elliot well, I've only met him a couple of times. A real type-A, high-energy type of guy. 

#9107 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:20 AM

I don't know Elliot well, I've only met him a couple of times. A real type-A, high-energy type of guy.

And like Elster, probably knows where the bodies are buried. I wonder if that factored into the decision to apparently keep him employed by the City (until Apr 28 according to Adam Stirling’s Twitter account) even though he was sent to jail in March.

Prior to going to jail there was presumably a trial in Alberta and meetings with lawyers, depositions, etc. I wonder what the Mayor and City Manager thought was occupying their EA. Perhaps the workload and expectations are so low that absences were not noted!

Edited by spanky123, 28 May 2021 - 06:22 AM.

#9108 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:26 AM

And like Elster, probably knows where the bodies are buried. I wonder if that factored into the decision to apparently keep him employed by the City (until Apr 28 according to Adam Stirling’s Twitter account) even though he was sent to jail in March.

Prior to going to jail there was presumably a trial in Alberta and meetings with lawyers, depositions, etc. I wonder what the Mayor and City Manager thought was occupying their EA. Perhaps the workload and expectations are so low that absences were not noted!

was he "working from home"?

#9109 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 07:00 AM

I am not going to comment on details of a personnel matter.

I will say, anyone commenting on anything without the facts is just sitting at home or where ever and making things up.

I will tell you, you have your dates wrong and there are lots of factors you have not considered.

Take it from me there was no nefarious actions on the part of the city. The city acted in accordance with HR protocols as it would with ANY employee.

There is no need to speculate.

Edited by Stephen Andrew, 28 May 2021 - 07:02 AM.

• Mike K., Brayvehart, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#9110 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 07:10 AM

I will say, anyone commenting on anything without the facts is just sitting at home or where ever and making things up.

I will tell you, you have your dates wrong and there are lots of factors you have not considered.

Take it from me there was no nefarious actions on the part of the city. The city acted in accordance with HR protocols as it would with ANY employee.

Thanks for the feedback Stephen. I linked or referenced to the sources for my dates and my comments in the crime thread. I did not make anything up. If one or more of my dates are wrong then let me know and I will update my post.

Perhaps had the City made a statement when Mr. Elliot was convicted in March then it would not have to be reacting to media reports after the fact.

Edited by spanky123, 28 May 2021 - 07:11 AM.

• Mike K., A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#9111 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback Stephen. I linked or referenced to the sources for my dates and my comments in the crime thread. I did not make anything up. If one or more of my dates are wrong then let me know and I will update my post.

Perhaps had the City made a statement when Mr. Elliot was convicted in March then it would not have to be reacting to media reports after the fact.

Very good point. If all above board, then get the facts out there. Trouble is the Elsner thing makes one inclined to be suspicious of how the mayor handles these situations.
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#9112 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 07:34 AM

:rtfm:    :thumbsup:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 May 2021 - 07:34 AM.

#9113 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 07:56 AM

Here are my sources to back my claims from the previous thread.

1. Elliot was convicted on March 23rd. https://lethbridgene...-case-in-taber/

2. Elliot has been in custody since that time. https://globalnews.c...exual-offences/

3. Elliot was conducting City work in April. https://www.iheartra...erta-1.15289130

4. Elliot was employed until April 28th. https://twitter.com/...084359588962305

I admit the last point only states that he vanished and was reported at that time. Whether the date was the 28th or earlier in April it was still after he was sent to jail.

Edited by spanky123, 28 May 2021 - 07:56 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#9114 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 08:15 AM

To add to my comments, if HR at the CoV is telling you that you cannot fire someone because they are unavailable to work due to incarceration then here is the supreme court ruling that says otherwise. You cannot fire someone simply because they are convicted, you can fire them if they are unable to work (in this case for 6.5 years).

Emond Harnden - Focus - Supreme Court of Canada rules that dismissal of incarcerated employee is not a human rights violation (ehlaw.ca)

Edited by spanky123, 28 May 2021 - 09:26 AM.

#9115 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 28 May 2021 - 09:30 AM

Mr. Andrew,

I respect you, and I respect your new-found position.  I am disappointed however. 

My disappointment comes from a place that not too long ago, you consistently demonstrated you were listening and you heard those voices in our community who were pointing out many issues from lack of transparency to outright lies and all between those two spaces and now you do not. 

Between those spaces in this instance is abuse of privilege, inability to recognize cause and effect/affect of the actions taken by politicians from a place of privilege. Today we all understand that a person who was in the court system for charges of sexual in nature, was eventually convicted, and the second instance of this sort that we are aware of, and was very close to the upper echelons of power.   Now is not the time to reflect on social media that the public speaking to these issues could be wrong, have the wrong facts, and would be doing so on social media from a place of comfort.  This statement you've made here today demonstrates to me a very fast indoctrination within the hallowed halls of politics.  It makes me sad.  Be accountable, be human. 

#9116 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 09:34 AM

If Andrew says everything's on the up-and-up I take him at his word.

• Mike K., Stephen Andrew, Brayvehart and 1 other like this

#9117 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 09:40 AM

Good for you!  

The approach, the response given would say otherwise to anyone who is not familiar with Mr. Andrew, and very familiar with how these sexual crimes have been dealt with.

#9118 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 09:45 AM

I would do the same although I wonder if his word is based on someone else's word!

#9119 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 09:53 AM

Andrew could be wrong but I trust him on this more than Adam Stirling.

Many of the local news reports including C-FAX are wrong, his last name is Elliott, not Elliot. It's important to make this clear as it's a relatively common name and there's no need to drag people with similar names into this.

Edited by Rob Randall, 28 May 2021 - 10:16 AM.

#9120 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 09:56 AM

1. A former assistant to the mayor of Victoria has been sentenced to six years in prison for sexual assault

See CTV https://vancouverisl...berta-1.5445896

2. Former Victoria police chief committed eight acts of misconduct 

Edited by VIResident, 28 May 2021 - 10:11 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users