Photo

COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#3601 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:57 PM

Apparently Ben isitt feels that existing delivery solutions for restaurants and pharmacies are not sufficient during the pandemic and thus the City needs to create its own app. To be debated at the next COTW meeting

There are also major disadvantages with emerging for-profit home delivery platforms, which often extract revenues (and economic opportunities) from local communities to large national and transnational corporations. These emerging dispatch platforms also present major risks to the fair treatment of employees

So now the city is going to pay for a communist home delivery platform?  How is this going to ensure "fair treatment of employees"?

#3602 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:02 PM

So now the city is going to pay for a communist home delivery platform?  How is this going to ensure "fair treatment of employees"?

that's the problem with it.  unless they want to hire a fleet of union delivery boys and girls.

we are pretty similar to california right now.  and of course our populations are almost the same too.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2020 - 05:03 PM.

#3603 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:09 PM

here's trump's full press conference tonight

video:  https://youtu.be/W6WOXz7T9Rk

probably the best one of his entire presidency.  this will have his approval ratings way up once again this week.  brilliant.  smart.  heartfelt.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2020 - 05:10 PM.

• RFS likes this

#3604 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:36 PM

Then and Now...

Two Sundays at dinnertime, a week apart.  March 15 and March 22.  The first pic was from our walk home from dinner at Cactus Club at about 7 PM.  Many restaurants, including The Local were still open and bustling.

IMG_2645_DxO.jpg

These were from March 22 at about 6 PM on our way back from Pagliacci's with some take-out.  It's straight out of your favorite dystopian movie - The Omega Man, 28 Days Later, etc. etc.

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

#3605 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:54 PM

probably the best one of his entire presidency.  this will have his approval ratings way up once again this week.  brilliant.  smart.  heartfelt.

The first 11.5 minutes were the best.

Edited by Rob Randall, 29 March 2020 - 05:56 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#3606 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:11 PM

Tonight's live concert on fox was bretty good mane.

#3607 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:20 PM

Look, when Trump sticks to the script he's given he can pull it off. Reagan had the same gift although the Gipper's ad libs seldom strayed from the message. Trump would be in a better place if he shut his yap about the chloroquinine and the pointless fights with governors that complain.

• Greg likes this

#3608 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:39 PM

the Michigan one did go off yapping everywhere. why don’t they just hate trump all they want behind his back, but why take him on in media? even Trudeau does not do that.

#3609 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:41 PM

the Michigan one did go off yapping everywhere. why don’t they just hate trump all they want behind his back, but why take him on in media? even Trudeau does not do that.

Toxic partisanship.   Yes on both sides.   

No idea how America gets back to working together.    I think overall Canadian politicians have done a great job working together across party lines. 

• Brayvehart likes this

#3610 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:48 PM

on this file our numbers really do look good, relatively. let’s see how we do this week.

#3611 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:49 PM

Pretty good outside the bit about them doing the most testing.  True on total tests but still lagging on per capita.  But they are getting better, at 2732/million tested which is good enough for 50th out of 94 regions tracked here (https://en.wikipedia...OVID-19_testing).  Half the rate of Canada, but catching up. 

Good to see they are now basically on the same response plan as the rest of the world.   We need the US to recover otherwise Canada has no chance at recovery.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 29 March 2020 - 06:50 PM.

#3612 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:50 PM

I like how all the public service ads on tv here keep stressing "we are all in this together" Then the Rhode Island Governor closes it's border with NY and has the national guard stopping any out of state vehicle and turning them around or putting them in a 14 day quarantine. Same with Florida. NY Governor says he will sue RI Governor. And every governor is bidding against every other governor for medical supplies, driving the price up. Each state insisted that they have control over medical, education etc. but I'm guessing they would like the Feds to come in and try to save their bacon now.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3613 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:56 PM

who is stealing all those masks from the hospitals? organized crime?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2020 - 06:57 PM.

#3614 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:19 PM

By Goodacre Lake today.

E12798AF-6329-4224-A072-EF95925683C7.jpeg

#3615 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:28 PM

MLA Bowinn Ma from North Van has an incredible resource site of all the orders and financial supports available.  Best I've seen.

Orders:  http://bowinnmamla.ca/covid19/

Financial supports:  http://bowinnmamla.c...vid19/supports/

• Matt R. likes this

#3616 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:30 PM

As Bob Ross said, "There are no pandemics, just happy little accidents"

• Lorenzo likes this

#3617 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:33 PM

^^ Good links. Thank you for that.

#3618 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:51 AM

looks like trump was right. He did say last week “i’m right alot” when speaking of these drugs.

The Food and Drug Administration on Sunday issued an emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, decades-old malaria drugs championed by President Donald Trump for coronavirus treatment despite scant evidence.

https://www.politico...ria-drug-155095

#3619 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:19 AM

trump on the very popular morning show fox and friends this morning.  he does not go to morning joe.  he does not go on new day.  why bother, those shows have terrible ratings - and dropping. instead, for maximum reach and impact and benefit to regular amarcans, he goes to the show that most americans watch each morning. 

brilliant.

video:  https://video.foxnew...1#sp=watch-live

sleepy joe is likely still in bed in delaware.  delaware!  way to lead from behind joe biden.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 March 2020 - 04:27 AM.

#3620 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:30 AM

I understand the virus can pass through a mask but I imagine it would be a bit of an obstacle course. Even if a mask only stopped a fraction of the ones that hit your face, right? I like the safety glasses idea. The only time I'm ever concerned is the grocery store. Some you can't avoid close contact. I get it that the risk is very small. But I want it to be infinitesimally small.

There must be some evidence, anecdotally or otherwise that due to these extreme measures fewer people are getting regular colds now compared to other years?

Meanwhile yesterday at the grocery store I had a bozo disrespect the social distancing markers at the checkout and when reminded to do so lash out like the covidiot he was.

You can be as prepared as can be, but then you run into an individual like that who refuses to care or wants to be a tough guy they’ll throw you off and raise the risk level to 11.

Hudson Mack took to Twitter yesterday admitting he had lost his cool on a grocery store worker, but went back and apologized.

“I just snapped at an employee in a supermarket. I went back and apologized but still feel like an asshole. Strange days. Be nice.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users