COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#781 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:42 PM

people can CHOOSE to 100% avoid COVID. as I’ve been saying for months.

just like they can choose to avoid swimming.

but we should not take away their right to choose different activities.

People cannot choose to 100% avoid COVID, but the can certainly choose whether or not they want to be something that rhymes with grass knoll.

• Greg and Brayvehart like this

#782 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM

I understand that for a lot of you liberals the answer to your own carelessness is to restrict the lawful actions and freedoms of others through “emergency” declarations and laws.

but that’s not really the country we all grew up in.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM.

• dasmo likes this

#783 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:59 PM

As someone with a young child I can tell you it's damn hard to make ends meet & have an enjoyable lifestyle if your household income is <100k. You're lucky to get to $790/month AFTER subsidies.

#784 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:07 PM

What does the Occupational Safety and Health Administration say about masks and viruses?

"Surgical masks are used as a physical barrier to protect the user from hazards, such as splashes of large droplets of blood or body fluids. Surgical masks also protect other people against infection from the person wearing the surgical mask. Such masks trap large particles of body fluids that may contain bacteria or viruses expelled by the wearer. Surgical masks are used for several different purposes, including the following:
Placed on sick people to limit the spread of infectious respiratory secretions to others.
• Worn by healthcare providers to prevent accidental contamination of patients’ wounds by the organisms normally present in mucus and saliva.
• Worn by workers to protect themselves from splashes or sprays of blood or bodily fluids; they may also keep contaminated fingers/ hands away from the mouth and nose.Surgical masks are not designed or certified to prevent the inhalation of small airborne contaminants. These particles are not visible to the naked eye but may still be capable of causing infection. Surgical masks are not designed to seal tightly against the user’s face. During inhalation, much of the potentially contaminated air can pass through gaps between the face and the surgical mask and not be pulled through the filter material of the mask. Their ability to filter small particles varies significantly based upon the type of material used to make the surgical mask, so they cannot be relied upon to protect workers against airborne infectious agents."

https://www.osha.gov...ns/OSHA3219.pdf

#785 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:10 PM

I understand that for a lot of you liberals the answer to your own carelessness is to restrict the lawful actions and freedoms of others through “emergency” declarations and laws.

but that’s not really the country we all grew up in.

What lawful actions and freedoms are being restricted? You can still go swimming in the lake.

• Brayvehart likes this

#786 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:25 PM

primarily I want to congregate with who I want to as close as I want to and they accept and as many people as I want to and they want to.

government has placed restrictions on most of that.

#787 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:42 PM

primarily I want to congregate with who I want to as close as I want to and they accept and as many people as I want to and they want to.

government has placed restrictions on most of that.

Right, I forgot you're probably one of those people giving front-end staff at restaurants a hard time because of the table maximums.

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#788 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:43 PM

i’m certainly not. they are doing what they are told.

my issue is with the authority telling them. and all the sheep agreeing with them.

trust me I am fun at parties. I’m not the jerk at the restaurant.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 August 2020 - 02:45 PM.

#789 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:48 PM

i’m certainly not. they are doing what they are told.

my issue is with the authority telling them. and all the sheep agreeing with them.

trust me I am fun at parties. I’m not the jerk at the restaurant.

Then this is not a freedom issue. This is a privilege issue. You have to expect being slightly impacted by a pandemic. Just go to the restaurant with as many people as you want, they'll try to get you all as close as possible. 

#790 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:52 PM

my issue isn’t really personal. it’s a concern for the greater economy and all those more affected.

people like myself and Ismo have not had our pay cut. our jobs are secure.

but I feel for all the millions of Canadians that will be out of jobs and out of CERB soon.

we did not have to do it this way.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 August 2020 - 02:53 PM.

#791 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:32 PM

Even if there were no restrictions, our economy would be affected and people would still losing their jobs.  

Edited by sukika, 12 August 2020 - 03:32 PM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#792 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:38 PM

true. but to a lesser degree.

#793 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

The economy is being affected by the pandemic. We're going to be far better off in the long run than Florida or Georgia. Fewer restrictions and a pandemic running rampant are not conducive to a successful economy.

• Brayvehart likes this

#794 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:26 PM

No one ever talks about Sweden anymore. 

#795 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:03 PM

Not everyone can choose to 100% avoid COVID. There are a lot of people who can't afford not to work, and who don't have the luxury of working from home.  

• Brayvehart likes this

#796 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:02 PM

No one ever talks about Sweden anymore. 

Don't need to talk about it, we are following their lead. As infections start to jump in BC we will be copying their model. No better validation then that.

#797 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:04 PM

What’s interesting about Stockholm is despite no social distance or preventative measures other than personal hygiene, etc, only 15% of residents of Sweden’s highest density city have antibodies. The Swedes were expecting 40%.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#798 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:07 PM

What’s interesting about Stockholm is despite no social distance or preventative measures other than personal hygiene, etc, only 15% of residents of Sweden’s highest density city have antibodies. The Swedes were expecting 40%.

Lots of research coming out that many people already have a degree of immunity. 40% may not be what is required for herd immunity.

Nevertheless, Swedish cases and deaths have declined over the past several weeks. We are heading up.

• Mike K. likes this

#799 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:15 PM

Lots of research coming out that many people already have a degree of immunity. 40% may not be what is required for herd immunity.

Nevertheless, Swedish cases and deaths have declined over the past several weeks. We are heading up.

Deaths per million so far in August - Sweden 1.9; Canada 1.8. Deaths per million overall: Sweden 571; Canada 238. I guess you can say Sweden has gone down more, but mainly because they were much worse to begin with.

• Brayvehart likes this

#800 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:41 AM

Not everyone can choose to 100% avoid COVID. There are a lot of people who can't afford not to work, and who don't have the luxury of working from home.  

they are not my problem really.  they have to do what's right for them.  

there are lots of people that do not have covid that have been forced out of work.  they had no luxury either but the government made them stop working.

can't you see the problem here?  you say some must work so the government should force others out of work to protect those still working?  it makes no sense.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2020 - 03:44 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users