COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#1701 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:22 PM

The only caveat being that you don't want to bump up your second shot too much. 8-12 weeks is optimum from what I read (sorry Dr. BH)

I was April 14th and she was April 19th so lots of time has passed I'm 11 weeks and she is 10 weeks 

• Matt R. likes this

#1702 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:49 PM

I was April 14th and she was April 19th so lots of time has passed I'm 11 weeks and she is 10 weeks 

I just re-read the notes and the recommended interval is actually 21-28 days. It was only Dr BH that claimed up to 16 weeks was ok

• rjag likes this

#1703 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:52 PM

the recommended interval has been proven to be less effective though. than a longer one. unless you got the virus between jabs.

#1704 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 01:15 PM

the recommended interval has been proven to be less effective though. than a longer one. unless you got the virus between jabs.

For AZ yes, the mRNAs no.

#1705 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:01 PM

Right.

Because it’s not that easy.

So why do you think we are way behind and should have done better?

Already at 19% fully vaccinated, moving so fast Mike can't keep up.  :)

The benchmark they are using is eligible population (12+), and we're at 22%.

#1706 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:03 PM

I just re-read the notes and the recommended interval is actually 21-28 days. It was only Dr BH that claimed up to 16 weeks was ok

Bollocks. It was NACI.

• Matt R. likes this

#1707 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:07 PM

Bollocks. It was NACI.

Sorry but nowhere do I see the NACI recommending a 16 week interval for the mRNA vaccines. 

#1708 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:09 PM

Sorry but nowhere do I see the NACI recommending a 16 week interval for the mRNA vaccines. 

It's in the link that I posted, from March 3rd:

• NACI recommends that in the context of limited COVID-19 vaccine supply, jurisdictions should maximize the number of individuals benefiting from the first dose of vaccine by extending the interval for the second dose of vaccine up to four months.

#1709 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:35 PM

So why do you think we are way behind and should have done better?

Our leaders told us they would deliver a world leading vaccine roll-out in-step with our peers.

By Valentine's Day, the United States had vaccinated with a first dose 38 million people (Canada's entire population), and 14 million were fully vaccinated. 

By the same point in time, Canada had vaccinated less than 1 million people with the first dose, and 300,000 with the second.

38 million : 1 million

14 million : 0.3 million

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1710 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:48 PM

Our leaders told us they would deliver a world leading vaccine roll-out in-step with our peers.

By Valentine's Day, the United States had vaccinated with a first dose 38 million people (Canada's entire population), and 14 million were fully vaccinated. 

By the same point in time, Canada had vaccinated less than 1 million people with the first dose, and 300,000 with the second.

38 million : 1 million

14 million : 0.3 million

The United States isn't our only peer. And their protectionist agenda did us no favours.

• m3m likes this

#1711 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 05:15 PM

You mean like third best among the G7, which is precisely in step with our peers?

• Brayvehart likes this

#1712 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 05:29 PM

wE'rE sO fAR beHIND

Attached Images

• Capture.PNG

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#1713 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 05:39 PM

For AZ yes, the mRNAs no.

That's not correct. There is also data for the mRNA vaccines, for example:

Extended interval BNT162b2 vaccination enhances peak antibody generation in older people

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.15.21257017v1

• Brayvehart likes this

#1714 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 06:45 PM

wE'rE sO fAR beHIND

Its easy to manipulate data to fit your narrative....how about % of pop. fully vaxxed.... not so super duper lemon squeezy now is it?

Your screenshot is what #truanon runs with...I prefer actuality...yes, we are catching up massively, but 26,000 Canadians arent here today because of the mis-steps by the Feds and Provinces in the first 8-12 months of this disaster

Attached Images

• double vax.jpg

Edited by rjag, 21 June 2021 - 06:48 PM.

#1715 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:12 PM

Its easy to manipulate data to fit your narrative....how about % of pop. fully vaxxed.... not so super duper lemon squeezy now is it?

Your screenshot is what #truanon runs with...I prefer actuality...yes, we are catching up massively, but 26,000 Canadians arent here today because of the mis-steps by the Feds and Provinces in the first 8-12 months of this disaster

% of population fully vaxxed is low in part because we've had more uptake of people wanting a (first) vaccine than the US. That's not a negative. If we only vaxxed first doses to the same percentage that the US has, then we would of course be much further along with second doses.

If you want to talk about death rate, best compare it to the countries that you say have done better than us. What "mis-steps" did the feds and provinces make that resulted in the second lowest death rate among G7 nations?

Attached Images

• Capture.PNG

• Brayvehart likes this

#1716 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:39 PM

Its not a competition, 26,000 people are dead FFS. And please dont pretend you dont know how the feds and provinces screwed this up....you know fine well.... you just cant admit that a progressive government could be so milquetoast

• Mike K. likes this

#1717 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:59 PM

Total doses delivered is the more appropriate metric. Particularly since choosing to deliver more first doses and delaying second doses has repeatedly been shown to be the smarter move. Multiple papers have been published using models to demonstrate the lives saved by prioritizing first doses, and there is plenty of evidence on increased efficacy from delaying the time for the second dose.

Canada may have started down that path out of necessity, rather than brilliant planning, given how slow we were getting started. But we have delivered more total doses than most countries, and we are currently delivering more doses per day than any country. It's reasonable to criticize how slowly we got started. But for the overall relevant time period, from the availability of the vaccine through today, we have done much better than average.

You don't declare someone the winner of a marathon because they sprinted the first kilometer. 

• sebberry, vortoozo and Brayvehart like this

#1718 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:06 PM

The United States isn't our only peer. And their protectionist agenda did us no favours.

It wasn’t asked to. Our government said doses were secured from multiple sources.

38 million to 1 million. That’s the legacy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1719 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:07 PM

It's reasonable to criticize how slowly we got started.

I’ve been doing that for a couple of days in our recent conversation and all I got was grief for raising the issue. The government misrepresented the situation.

38 million to 1 million. That was us on February 14th.

Know it all.

#1720 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:10 PM

Total doses delivered is the more appropriate metric. Particularly since choosing to deliver more first doses and delaying second doses has repeatedly been shown to be the smarter move. Multiple papers have been published using models to demonstrate the lives saved by prioritizing first doses, and there is plenty of evidence on increased efficacy from delaying the time for the second dose.

Canada may have started down that path out of necessity, rather than brilliant planning, given how slow we were getting started. But we have delivered more total doses than most countries, and we are currently delivering more doses per day than any country. It's reasonable to criticize how slowly we got started. But for the overall relevant time period, from the availability of the vaccine through today, we have done much better than average.

You don't declare someone the winner of a marathon because they sprinted the first kilometer.

we didn’t just start out that way. we still have all kinds of supply problems.

so much so that hundreds of thousands of Canadians will this week be forced to take a moderna follow up to Pfizer. the largest such mix/match ever attempted. and never done before outside of a closely monitored trial.

and the reason this is required is only due to a several day delay of Pfizer. and the resulting delay if these were cancelled or postponed would cause a massive ripple disruption of the jammed forward looking schedule. the schedule has been so packed that there is no cushion for even a small delay.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 June 2021 - 09:14 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users