Photo

215 graves at Kamloops residential school | Discussion, news, and what we know so far

• Please log in to reply
1000 replies to this topic

#381 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:08 AM

TC comparing the prospect of unmarked graves in Kamloops to the holocaust. https://www.timescol...ment-1.24329821

Residential school survivors now asking for more money and their settlement to be renegotiated. https://nationalpost...chool-survivors

My bet at this point is that the Kamloops FN announces at the end of the month that they have decided, after discussion with other FN, to leave the bodies where they lie and not to do anything that might disturb them - case closed.

The MSM, FN and their various stakeholders have far too much at stake now to risk having any hint that what they announced last month is not 100% true and correct.

Edited by spanky123, 12 June 2021 - 11:11 AM.

#382 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:00 PM

100 bodies discovered in Manitoba, according to emerging reports.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#383 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:24 PM

^ Actually that report was from the 1st and then updated to note that 78 of those graves had already been accounted for.

Go to any older rural cometary in this country and you will find "unmarked graves". Grave markers rot, get covered over or get moved over the decades. 

Edited by spanky123, 12 June 2021 - 12:24 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#384 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:44 PM

We went to a cemetery and think we found some bodies buried, yep big news.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#385 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:30 PM

^ Actually that report was from the 1st and then updated to note that 78 of those graves had already been accounted for.

Go to any older rural cometary in this country and you will find "unmarked graves". Grave markers rot, get covered over or get moved over the decades.

Pioneer Square in downtown Victoria has such unmarked graves.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#386 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:01 PM

^Not exactly. They were conventional marked graves and then years later the City decided to turn it into a park and moved the headstones. That's different from burying them anonymously. 

#387 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:13 AM

But VicPD said an officer buried at the park was buried in an unmarked grave, I thought?

It was common to put a cross at a grave site 200 years ago, and it wouldn’t take much for that wood to rot away. How many unmarked graves were therefore marked, just not with headstones?

Know it all.

#388 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 07:16 AM

The International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Hague says it will “consider” a request from more than a dozen lawyers across the country who are asking for an official investigation into crimes against humanity committed by Canada and the Catholic Church.

The lawyers filed the request, pro bono, following the discovery of 215 unmarked graves at the former Kamloops Indian Residential School (KIRS).

“The Complaint is regarding the recent discovery of a mass unmarked grave of 215 Indigenous children who were under the forced care of the GOC and the Vatican,” the 14 page complaint to the ICC said. “The death of the 215 Indigenous children resulted from their enrolment in the GOC residential school system forced on the Indigenous peoples of Canada by way of GOC legislation and administered by both the GOC and the Vatican.

“The Complainants submit the deaths, mass unmarked grave and general treatment of the 215 deceased children constitute crimes against humanity.”

The investigation could lead to the prosecution of the Catholic Church, the Government of Canada and any living member that took part in the residential school system.

“It is a subject that is near to my heart my mom having to attend one of these schools, the fallout from her attendance at the school and the impact that it’s had on her and the rest of my family,” said Red Deer based lawyer, Andrew Phypers.

“To me, initiating this process with the International Criminal Court characterizing as a crime against humanity is fundamentally important to get answers.”

Phypers, a member of the Lower Kootenay Band in Creston, B.C., said some members of his community attended the Kamloops school after repeated attempts to run away from the St. Eugene Mission.

https://www.aptnnews...ential-schools/

#389 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,300 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:00 AM

we should never be subject to some international court.

#390 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:19 AM

we should never be subject to some international court.

We already are, and have been for years.

Indeed, Canada is a huge player in the ICC.

Canada is signatory to the Rome Statute, in a fully ratified fashion (the U.S. is signatory, but it remains unratified).

Like any court, if you've got nothing to hide, then you've got nothing to worry about.

Regardless, there are a great many hoops to jump through before the ICC can or will hear a case ... and all of those hoops occur after the ICC finishes "considering" whether or not to hear any specific case.

In other words, although I wouldn't hold my breath for the ICC to hear this case, the fact that the story has acquired interest from around the world, there might be sufficient thrust for the ICC to decide to hear the case ... especially if additional residential schools prove to have previously undocumented (or unknown) children's graves (something which we now know is highly likely).

Edited by Spy Black, 13 June 2021 - 09:19 AM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#391 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 10:57 AM

I note the Capital Daily has made Geoff Young a target for his objection to the use of the terms "mass graves" and "genocide" in Thursday's motion to cancel Canada Day. https://www.capitald...schools-burials

Now that the CD is moving to a sponsorship format it is not a surprise that they are appealing to their base, but the CD working "together with" the Art Gallery for the attack on Geoff doesn't sit well with me. I note that Geoff Young has been the lone holdout on a development permit for the Art Gallery so one has to wonder if this is a political attack from a taxpayer funded organization.  https://www.bclocaln...ia-development/

• On the Level likes this

#392 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 10:59 AM

^Not exactly. They were conventional marked graves and then years later the City decided to turn it into a park and moved the headstones. That's different from burying them anonymously. 

We do not know if anyone was buried anonymously in Kamloops or elsewhere. What we know is that there does not appear to be any record of the burials or visible grave markers.

#393 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:04 PM

We do not know if anyone was buried anonymously in Kamloops or elsewhere. What we know is that there does not appear to be any record of the burials or visible grave markers.

It's possible the Roman Catholic church has the burial records.

#394 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:06 PM

Roman Catholic Church in Vancouver defaced with words ‘killers’ and ‘release the records’

https://www.msn.com/...id=winp1taskbar

Someone had written 'release the records' and 'killers' on the front door of the church.

Many have called the recent discovery of an unmarked burial site at the former Kamloops Residential School a reckoning when it comes to reconciliation.

Edited by FawltyVic, 13 June 2021 - 11:07 PM.

#395 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:54 AM

Indigenous people can now reclaim traditional names on their passports and other ID

Indigenous people can now reclaim traditional names on their passports and other ID (msn.com)

OTTAWA — The federal government is announcing that Indigenous people can now apply to reclaim their traditional names on passports and other government identification.

The announcement comes in response to a call to action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission that demanded governments allow survivors and their families to restore names changed by the residential school system.

Edited by FawltyVic, 14 June 2021 - 06:55 AM.

#396 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 07:01 AM

^ I thought that anyone could change their name, didn't realize this was an issue. Perhaps it was just the fee that they had a problem with.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#397 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:16 AM

^ I thought that anyone could change their name, didn't realize this was an issue. Perhaps it was just the fee that they had a problem with.

I believe the issue is more that children's names were changed in the first place, against their will, by institutions and actors that sought the erase their culture. But yeah, buncha cheap sissies eh? Way to nail the issue.

• Brayvehart likes this

#398 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:34 AM

I believe the issue is more that children's names were changed in the first place, against their will, by institutions and actors that sought the erase their culture. But yeah, buncha cheap sissies eh? Way to nail the issue.

My question was what was preventing them from changing their name on their passport previously?

Read the release and it sounds like the issue was the fee as I suspected. 

#399 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:40 AM

It's not just the few bucks. There is powerful symbolism to not being charged. It demonstrates a wrong is being corrected. 

• Brayvehart likes this

#400 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,300 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:43 AM

i also suspect the take-up will be scarce.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2021 - 08:44 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users