Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3053 replies to this topic

#1901 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 07:42 PM

“Hi David Foster here, oh I apologize I forgot to put my 15 Grammys back on the shelf before tonight’s performance. Anyway here’s St. Elmo’s Fire.”

and then to really rub it in the camera panned around to his 36-year-old 5th wife singing (he's 70). 

he got us good!

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 April 2020 - 07:50 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1902 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 08:38 PM

Celebrities are starting to lose it. Nobody’s paying attention to them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1903 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 10:16 PM

I watched that on Crave tonight, skipped ahead by 15 seconds for nearly all of it. Dallas Green was great, of course.

Matt.

#1904 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

mandatory temperature screenings will be required for fans attending the foreigner reunion concert.

if you’re hot blooded they’ll check it and see.

• Mike K., Lorenzo and Hotel Mike like this

#1905 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:06 PM

just for some nostalgia.  in the grand scheme of things we've had some decent shows.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 May 2020 - 01:06 PM.

#1906 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:23 PM

did you know jesse roper never played before an audience until he was in his late 20's?  i never knew that.

A busy two weeks of activity for Metchosin rocker Jesse Roper — which includes seven live concerts at the Breakwater Tasting Room — gets underway Thursday with an airborne interview 8,500 feet above Vancouver Island.

https://www.timescol...utes-1.24159275

#1907 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:45 PM

Dire Straits too!

#1908 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:58 PM

well I don’t think we need to mention his financial situation at the time.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#1909 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:34 AM

did you know jesse roper never played before an audience until he was in his late 20's?  i never knew that.

A busy two weeks of activity for Metchosin rocker Jesse Roper — which includes seven live concerts at the Breakwater Tasting Room — gets underway Thursday with an airborne interview 8,500 feet above Vancouver Island.

https://www.timescol...utes-1.24159275

Selling out in four minutes. Great news for Jesse Roper!

#1910 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:41 AM

Alex Cuba wasn't planning to be a trailblazer for the future of Canada's live music scene, but his upcoming concerts may serve as a blueprint for the road ahead amid the pandemic.

The Latin Grammy Award-winning artist is booked to play four nights at the Mary Winspear Centre in Sidney, B.C., starting on Thursday. He'll be among the first acts to return to the stage at the venue, or any other space of its size in the country.

"Somebody has to take this step," the Canadian-Cuban musician said ahead of the shows.

"If we were going to just crawl into a wall and become fearful, nothing will ever happen. I want to give my best and I want to make an effort to let people know that, yeah, there is hope."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-cuba-1.5673464

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 August 2020 - 08:41 AM.

#1911 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:53 AM

We’re still waiting for EventBrite to issue a refund for a cancelled event (due to COVID).

They sent us an email stating we would receive a refund and to expect more details emailed to us within 30-days. The email never came. So afterwards we enquired about the refund, and they told us the window for a refund had expired.

From what I’m hearing a lot of people were presented with the same level of customer service. We’ll see if the credit card company will deal with this but it’s been about eight weeks since the chargeback was requested and no decision yet.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1912 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 08:59 PM

The outdoor concert on Prospect Lake tonight was the best one of the summer. The crowd practised social distancing from others by staying in their own bubble on a boat, paddle board or party barge. The band was great.

99041061-E3C8-4AEF-BA5B-0AA7074DD567.jpeg
  • Matt R. and Wayne like this

#1913 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:08 AM

Sounds like it was a great time! Fantastic idea.

Know it all.

#1914 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 01:50 PM

Justin Townes Earle has died. not really sure who he is but the Internet says it’s a big deal.

no cause of death leaves everyone wondering.

#1915 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 02:25 PM

Oh, the credit card company gave Mrs. Mike K. back her ticket money for a concert that was cancelled due to COVID, but which came with a purposefully misleading subsequent return policy designed to make ticket purchasers miss their refund window.

Shady, shady, shady.

Know it all.

#1916 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:57 PM

Justin Earle is Steve Earle's son. Like his father, Justin battled drug addiction for many years. The life span of a recovering heroin addict isn't typically very long.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1917 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 06:07 PM

yes i suspect he died from overdose or suicide.

he was only 38.

#1918 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:54 AM

The world has gone topsy-turvy in numerous ways this year, not least of which is people's buying habits. And some might argue these things hint at a glimmer of hope for the future of culture. Following news that Fender is on track to have their best sales year ever, a report indicates that more people bought vinyl records than CDs in the first half of 2020.

The RIAA has shared their mid-year financial report, and it reveals that Americans really dug into the vinyl revival that has been happening for the last decade or so. They purchased $232 million USD worth of vinyl records out of a total of $376 million in physical music sales. 

This marks the first time since the 1980s that CDs were not at the top of the food chain when it came to physical media being consumed. 

https://exclaim.ca/m...aim.ca - News )

and on streaming and digital downloads:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 September 2020 - 04:57 AM.

• Spy Black likes this

#1919 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:08 AM

It is somewhat karmic that CD's will die out completely, and vinyl records will live on ... likely for decades, if not centuries.

I still recall all those voices that said CD's were the future, and vinyl was dead.

There is a pronounced harmonic distortion that the human ear finds very pleasant to listen to when playing vinyl, which definitely isn't there will CD's or digital downloads (it technically can't be).

There's no question that digital downloads are the future (generally speaking), but I still have my 620 vinyl albums, and still enjoy listening to them (almost) every day. 

The only downside is that vinyl is now considered "collectible", and priced accordingly, whereas back in the 80's, you were lucky if you could get 25 cents for a vinyl album.

#1920 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:21 AM

But are people using high-end stereophile equipment to take advantage of that alleged sonic difference? Or are people just buying cheap USB turntables at London Drugs?

I do find the whole thing somewhat irrational, But I admit this household has a decent vinyl collection, despite having nothing to play it on. We own a nice vintage Clairtone Hi-fi but it needs restoration.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users