Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3054 replies to this topic

#1921 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:42 AM

Years after their deaths, Whitney Houston, the Notorious B.I.G. and T. Rex's Marc Bolan will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Joining them as part of the hall's 2020 class are Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode and the Doobie Brothers. Houston, T. Rex, B.I.G. and the Doobie Brothers are being inducted after being on the ballot for the first time.

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24235177

depeche mode going in to the hall of fame probably has david lee roth spinning in his grave.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2020 - 06:42 AM.

#1922 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:23 PM

DLR isn't dead.

• Matt R. likes this

#1923 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:11 PM

I know. I was just kidding. I meant tommy lee.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1924 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 07:40 PM

Years after their deaths, Whitney Houston, the Notorious B.I.G. and T. Rex's Marc Bolan will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Joining them as part of the hall's 2020 class are Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode and the Doobie Brothers. Houston, T. Rex, B.I.G. and the Doobie Brothers are being inducted after being on the ballot for the first time.

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24235177

depeche mode going in to the hall of fame probably has david lee roth spinning in his grave.

Good for Depeche Mode, great band and especially when experienced live in concert. Dave Gahan can out-perform DLR in a heartbeat, has more overall singing and song writing talent in his left pinkie and it isn't even close. 

• Nparker likes this

#1925 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:50 PM

US singer-songwriter Bob Dylan has sold the rights to his entire back catalogue to Universal Music Group (UMG).

The deal is one of the biggest acquisitions in Universal's history and means the company will collect all future income from the songs.

It includes both the income Dylan currently receives as a songwriter and his control of each song's copyright.

The 79-year-old is known all over the world for songs like The Times They Are A-Changin', and Like a Rolling Stone.

Universal will acquire around 600 tracks, taken from a career spanning six decades.

The terms of the deal were not made public, but it is thought to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

https://www.bbc.com/...t-arts-55213529

Stevie Nicks in $100M publishing rights deal with Primary Wave Music

Stevie Nicks has parted ways with a majority of her music publishing rights.

The 72-year-old musical superstar -- known for her solo work as well has her performances with Fleetwood Mac -- sold the rights to Primary Wave Music, which announced the deal in a news release Friday.

https://www.foxbusin...mary-wave-music

i still can't understand a word stevie nicks is saying in most songs.  hopefully the deal includes new english-language tracks.   :banana:

VIDEO:    https://youtu.be/R6B6CyZHnZU

Stevie Nicks--"What the Hell is She Saying?"

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2020 - 04:57 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#1926 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 06:46 PM

Lol...

What's even funnier is that's what Bob Dylan's new stuff sounds like.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1927 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:50 PM

Was never a fan of Dylan the performer; as a lyricist he is one of the best ever of course. And naturally he sure doesn't have Stevie's sex appeal lol - she was a bombshell in her younger days. Saw FM several times and especially in the States security had to practically beat some male fans off with a stick when they and she were in their hey-day.

#1928 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:41 PM

Not Victoria-related but certainly concert/band/entertainment related - 40 years to the day since Lennon was gunned down.

How much things have changed since then is evidenced by how most people at the time found out, including me: by hearing Howard Cosell of all people announce it in the middle of a Monday Night Football game, which seems surreal today. Remember though we didn't have them fancy new fangled thangs like the internet-whatcha'ma call-it or smart phones back in the day.....

So in memory of the Fab Four here are my two signed autographed studio stills of the lads which my dad got at the 1964 Beatles Empire Stadium gig and which he passed on to me a few years before he passed. Being in TV/media occasionally has its advantages.....

Apologies for the crap photo quality, thanks to my mobile phone taking the shot at night and indoors with the room light over my shoulder. I've been propositioned by more than one person inquiring and NO very obviously they aren't for sale at any price. The one with the light background has slipped slightly on its matting so the autographs which run along the bottom of that image aren't visible here.

Attached Images

• thumbnail_20201208_185120.jpg
  • 20201208_184933.jpg

• Nparker, GaryRanson, SimonH and 1 other like this

#1929 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:35 PM

^If it were me I would retrofit those with acid-free matting and UV filtering glass.

I clearly remember that night. Immediately after the news broke, all local radio stations played Beatles/Lennon songs for the rest of the night and next day. 

#1930 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 07:44 AM

With or without commercial breaks?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1931 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 07:58 AM

I honestly don't remember if there were commercials, if there were I would have switched to another station. I think even C-FAX was playing music. They played his music because there wasn't really anything substantial to talk about. I remember feeling anger and disbelief at how senseless his killing was. 

#1932 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:21 AM

Mark Chapman was clearly a seriously disturbed individual, to put it mildly; he told one investigator about the conflict between the "little man" and the "big man" inside him - referencing the "voices" in his head - and how finally the "little man" won out and overcame the "big man". And - naturally - he finally committed to killing Lennon after a "religious conversion" (Siiiiiiigh). He remains confined in an institution in NY state and is next up for parole in August 2022. 

#1933 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:23 AM

I was in LA the day Michael Jackson died, saw the choppers arriving over UCLA's medical centre. I was up at the Getty at the time and just stood there wondering what was going on, then some guy blurts out "Michael Jackson just died!" The entirety of LA's radio diaspora played non-stop MJ hits that day, and everywhere you went people were putting up signs in their windows, businesses were setting up speakers onto the sidewalk, and so on. It was wild to have experienced that in the town where things went down.

Piecing the run-up to the death together, I recall being passed by an army of unmarked tinted glass vehicles as we were cruising through Beverley Hills towards the Getty. Those were vehicles racing to the scene of the death just a street or two over from where we were meandering through avoiding traffic.

Know it all.

#1934 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:27 AM

glastonbury (late june) has been cancelled again.

#1935 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:25 PM

Producer Bob Rock sells Michael Bublé, Metallica song rights to Hipgnosis fund

https://www.cbc.ca/n...nosis-1.5882339

The Hipgnosis deal, which encompasses 43 songs, comes as the fund moves quickly to build its library of rights holdings.

Last week, Hipgnosis picked up the publisher and songwriter rights to Shakira's entire catalogue of 145 songs, and earlier this month acquired a 50 per cent stake in Neil Young's catalogue.

Rights deals have become a hot commodity in the pandemic as artists look to monetize their assets while the touring industry remains at a standstill and listening moves increasingly to streaming platforms over record sales.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2021 - 07:25 PM.

#1936 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:45 AM

Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up is remastered in 4K for an extra-crisp Rickroll

Rickroll your friends at 60 frames per second.

https://www.cnet.com...iceType=twitter

Revideo said they used Topaz Video Enhance, an AI-powered program for upscaling video, to remaster the clip in 4K and RIFE (Flowframes) to smooth it out to 60 frames per second. We’ve seen other people like Denis Shiryaev use similar software to update an 1896 silent film and a tour of Tokyo from before the First World War. All things considered, it’s surprising it took this long for someone to apply that same treatment to “Never Gonna Give You Up.” After all, it's only one of the internet's favorite videos.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 February 2021 - 11:49 AM.

#1937 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:06 AM

Can someone explain to me why the Rickroll became a thing?

Know it all.

#1938 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:11 AM

Can someone explain to me why the Rickroll became a thing?

Don't ask me; I am still trying to wrap my head around the Hustle.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1939 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:37 AM

Here's a brief explanation of the phenomena https://rr.noordstar...k-roll-0a380489

#1940 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:38 AM

It just went to the music video. Now the plot thickens.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users