Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#81 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:19 AM

Its virtue signalling amplified. Its less than a year to the election, we are going to see a lot more social engineering to appeal to the Fernwood & Fairfield Farmers. 

Next up, mandatory pay parking at grocery stores and strip malls.... :banana:  :muching_out: Everyone has to bike, walk or bus, this will control elitist over-purchasing of buying more than 2-3 days worth of supplies. And make you pay big time if you bring your selfish ICE vehicle to the store. 

• Nparker likes this

#82 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

Next up, mandatory pay parking at grocery stores and strip malls.

The scary thing is if they can force the plastic bag issue, then they could do this

#83 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

The scary thing is if they can force the plastic bag issue, then they could do this

Yup they would be hailed as experts at killing the capitalist economy in some circles.... :whyme:

#84 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

Ya, it's a bit lame, right?  If I do not pre-plan a grocery visit, I can not carry all my stuff in paper bags.

Are we so lame in technology that we can honestly not make a biodegradable plastic bag?

I can see people also packing away extra plastic bags for produce and bulk goods to use as doggy doo bags now.  Grab you bag, pack in tomatoes, then throw a few extra bags into the bag before you tie it up.

Don't know about you but since my doggie poo bags will be illegal I will just have to leave the poop on City lawns. 

Biodegradable bags exist and in fact some local stores use them as their plastic bags. This bylaw isn't about making sense though, it is simply about the Mayor and council telling everyone else how much better they are then the rest of us.

• Nparker, rjag, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#85 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

Yup they would be hailed as experts at killing the capitalist economy in some circles.... :whyme:

Maybe they could start by charging tenters for use of the city parks first.  Seriously though, I haven't read the Supreme Court decision, but does it say anything that the municipalities can't charge for upkeep, maintenance, clean up after they leave, etc?  I have to pay property taxes, why don't they?  I think $50 a night is fair and you could have the police collect it each night when they do their patrols

#86 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

Don't know about you but since my doggie poo bags will be illegal I will just have to leave the poop on City lawns. 

Biodegradable bags exist and in fact some local stores use them as their plastic bags. This bylaw isn't about making sense though, it is simply about the Mayor and council telling everyone else how much better they are then the rest of us.

from the thread: Paper, plastic, or no bag? The psychological angle:

I'm no plastic/bag expert, but there are “compostable bags” and “biodegradable bags”. compostable bags" compost/biodegrade in a very short period of time usually months, often time set to standards. biodegradable bags” the definition varies tremendously, the percentage of biodegradable material in the product, and how long it takes to break down, the type of material sometimes used is a source of controversy.

Anyone know of a suitable “compostable” t-shirt bag? Not sure if the ones approved for the kitchen compost in most CRD municipalities would hold up to the weight of the products I buy.

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

If one provides customers with a biodegradable bag then it would not be plastic so therfore outside of the ban correct?
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#88 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

No, most if not all biodegradable plastic bags still contain a small amount of plastic. You would need to up that standard to compostable.

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#89 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:59 PM

The elected representatives have wielded their eco-friendly paintbrush crafting the definitions section of the bylaw.

"Plastic Bag" means any bag made with plastic, including biodegradable plastic or compostable plastic, but does not include a Reusable Bag"

https://victoria.civ... Regulation.PDF

• Matt R. likes this

#90 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

The elected representatives have wielded their eco-friendly paintbrush crafting the definitions section of the bylaw.

Imagine if mental energy that went into writing that was put to positive use?  We could actually clean up the city. 

A fine of not more than $10,000 for breaking the plastic bag bylaw, vs. nothing for one's open drug use and questionable behavior.  Way to go Lisa!

• Nparker and LJ like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#91 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:25 PM

i'm sorry first it's get rid of plastic, now they want dictate the prices that stores charge for bags if a person needs them?? the stores that do charge tend to only charge 5c per bag, and many have reusable bags for $1.. so that alone irks me, next you will hear the city wants to collect this extra money to fund more bike lanes, or poet laureates...

and i'll be honest i don't understand all the hype over reusable bags, they are big and bulky not something you want to carry around with you every day, they still soak up water in the rain (unlike plastic) they need to be washed regularly or the are a germ cesspool and when they do fall apart and you can't recycle them so they just get thrown away, does anyone know the statistics on how reusable bags are bad for the environment compared to plastic and paper? i remember hearing a statistic years ago on how reusable bags are just as bad if not worse (something like you'd have to use the bag 100x before it matches the environmental impact of plastic)

Edited by Midnightly, 28 October 2017 - 10:32 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#92 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

Imagine if mental energy that went into writing that was put to positive use?  We could actually clean up the city. 

A fine of not more than $10,000 for breaking the plastic bag bylaw, vs. nothing for one's open drug use and questionable behavior.  Way to go Lisa!

Questionable behavior? $20,000?

• sebberry likes this

#93 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:39 PM

I've often thought that these Greenpeace types don't care too much about hygiene.  One look at most of them confirms that.  Now they want you to carry a cloth bag that's had meat products in it around in a hot car? 

Clearly this is their way to get us to give up meat and cars. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#94 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:47 PM

I've often thought that these Greenpeace types don't care too much about hygiene.  One look at most of them confirms that.  Now they want you to carry a cloth bag that's had meat products in it around in a hot car? 

Clearly this is their way to get us to give up meat and cars. 

53779_101606.jpg

#95 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:55 PM

i'm sorry first it's get rid of plastic, now they want dictate the prices that stores charge for bags if a person needs them?? the stores that do charge tend to only charge 5c per bag, and many have reusable bags for $1.. so that alone irks me, next you will hear the city wants to collect this extra money to fund more bike lanes, or poet laureates...

and i'll be honest i don't understand all the hype over reusable bags, they are big and bulky not something you want to carry around with you every day, they still soak up water in the rain (unlike plastic) they need to be washed regularly or the are a germ cesspool and when they do fall apart and you can't recycle them so they just get thrown away, does anyone know the statistics on how reusable bags are bad for the environment compared to plastic and paper? i remember hearing a statistic years ago on how reusable bags are just as bad if not worse (something like you'd have to use the bag 100x before it matches the environmental impact of plastic)

I agree. What business does the City have telling businesses what price they can provide/sell LEGAL bags to their customers? 

• Nparker, mbjj and tjv like this

#96 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:10 PM

I agree. What business does the City have telling businesses what price they can provide/sell LEGAL bags to their customers? 

Until they're illegal by law. Plastic will harm our children.

#97 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

...Plastic will harm our children.

1. I have no children.

2. Don't feed your children plastic.

• rjag and sebberry like this

#98 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

Until they're illegal by law. Plastic will harm our children.

What does regulating the price that a paper/reusable bag can be sold for have to do with protecting kids from plastic? 

I would bet that the average shopper walks out of a grocery store with 10x the plastic in containers and packaging then they would have in the 2-3 plastic bags they received.

• todd and Midnightly like this

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

...I would bet that the average shopper walks out of a grocery store with 10x the plastic in containers and packaging then they would have in the 2-3 plastic bags they received.

You do realize that will be the next target, right?

#100 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:40 AM

You do realize that will be the next target, right?

I say "keep the plastic, get rid of Helps"!

• Nparker, rjag and mbjj like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users